Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

Dueler Revo Vibration Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2004, 04:47 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have several customers that are super picky w/ their tires. Every time they buy a set I end up match mounting them and adjusting to the correct air psi and they are happy. Find someone that knows what the h*** they are doing and tell them what problem you are experiencing. If they cant fix it, then have BFS adjust your tires for aout of round.
Old 09-01-2004, 04:48 AM
Contributing Member

BTW, All Bridgestone tires have a thirty day test drive. You can have them replaced if you are not happy for any reason!!!
Old 09-02-2004, 01:45 PM
Contributing Member

Well, I went back to the shop by the plant today and had the wheels balanced again on the Hunter machine. I also got them to put the fronts on the back and the backs on the fronts and adjust the air pressure down to 28 psi. I went to pick it up after work and they told me that the balance on them was damn near perfect. I believe one weight was 1/16 of a gram off, so they replaced it. Drove it home and still the same results. There is definite vibration in the steering wheel and seats and the my radar detector, which is mounted on the upper part of my windshield, shimmies a good bit. I don't understand this. I called the Firestone service center and talked with the owner and asked if there was another root cause to this other than the balancing (ie a bushing or something). I explained that the vibration was mainly at 60+ mph and so on. He said that he could pull the tires of and spin them and check the balancing himself, but other than that, all he could recommend would be going back with a set of H/Ls like I had before. He said they would do a straight trade since I've put less than 100 miles on these Revos. I don't understand this!! The reviews on TireRack.com rave about the ride quality and durability of these tires and the ride quality rating is 9/10. Did I just get a bunk set? Any other suggestions on what might be the problem? BTW, the road force measurements are now 7, 8, 9, and 13. These are pretty respectable numbers considering one of them was at 38 the first time it was put on the Hunter machine. Sorry for the long post and thanks.

Matt
Old 09-02-2004, 02:12 PM
Nic

Sorry to hear about all your problems. The Dunlops I had replaced all had very high road force numbers, unlike yours. That's the confusing part.

However, you didn't have this problem before you got the new tires, so I will still go out on a limb and say it is the tires.

If I were you, I would have them replaced and hopefully that will fix it.
Old 09-02-2004, 02:58 PM

I have the same tires on my 98 4x4 and have not had any problems, with about 10k on them so far. I actually think these are awesome.
I did buy a set of BFG A/T TKO's about 3 years ago thatwobbled like crazy when I left the shop, turned around and they rebalanced them twice. Still didn't go away (even did it with the tech in the car....WHOHOO)
They located a set of older A/T's for me and not one problem, got 56k out of them.

I suggest you have them put on another set and drive around with the tech, that will be one way to tell if it is something else.
Old 09-02-2004, 03:13 PM
Contributing Member

Well, first thing I'm going to do is drive around with the manager on Saturday morning. There's a long straight-a-way a couple of miles from the Firestone place and I should be able to get up to 60+ and show him. Hopefully, I won't get a ticket. He did not mention trying another set of Revos. All he mentioned was swapping them out for a set of H/Ls. I really like the Revos and I don't want to get rid of them so hopefully a miracle will happen and we can get it worked out.

Matt
Old 09-02-2004, 03:16 PM
Contributing Member

One more thing. The problem with swapping them out is that the Firestone place does not have the Hunter Road Force Balancer. All they have is a regular balancing machine. Odds are, I'd swap out the tires and they would balance them there, and then I would have to go to the other shop and drop another $80 to have them road force balanced, if there was any vibration. This sucks!!!! Seems like nothing is easy anymore.

Matt
Old 09-02-2004, 03:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
matt,

thats exactly what happened to me: the tire shop did not have the hunter machine. i was beyond asking them for any compensation but hoping God would strike them all down with lightning

anyways, if you are on friendly terms w/ the shop, might as well as them if theyre open to giving you back a little money so you can get them properly balanced at a shop w/ the hunter machine. its worth a shot and for the firestone shop, it saves them from having to give you a new set of tires and trying to sell your "returned" set to another customer.

bob
Old 09-02-2004, 03:31 PM
Contributing Member

Bob,
This current set HAS been road force balanced on the Hunter Machine (on Monday) and then re-balanced this afternoon on the Hunter machine. Like I said, they (A&R Tire not Firestone) told me today that the balance is perfect. They also mentioned that the 4Runner being so light may have something to do with it. He said that if you put the Revos on a Z71 that it would ride perfect. Well, I beg to differ because so many folks on here say theirs ride fine. I don't know what to do, but I hate that I spent $640 ($560 for the tires and another $80 at the other shop for the road force balance) and I'm not satisfied with the ride. It hasn't even rained yet so I haven't been able to check out the wet traction. Not happy.

Matt
Old 09-02-2004, 03:39 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LSUMatt1514
One more thing. The problem with swapping them out is that the Firestone place does not have the Hunter Road Force Balancer. All they have is a regular balancing machine. Odds are, I'd swap out the tires and they would balance them there, and then I would have to go to the other shop and drop another $80 to have them road force balanced, if there was any vibration. This sucks!!!! Seems like nothing is easy anymore.

Matt
Have them swapped out. You shouldn't have to get an AT tire road force balanced. Don't take thier ˟˟˟˟, either about "they're supposed to do that" and "every tire has a little bit of vibration". Have you had your alignment checked lately? Changing the tires w/ new & better ones may change the geometry of the contact patch since the other ones wore on the truck. Have them check the alignment at Firestone and have them swap the set. There's NO EXCUSE for them to vibrate after FIRESTONE balances them. If they can't balance them, then make them replace them. If they whine, then tell them you know about the 30-day test drive guarantee, that you're not happy and to give you a refund on them.

Oh, and by the way, the brush guard is primed and pretty much ready to paint. I'll have it finished by Monday if you want to come pick it up. Also, did you keep the receipt for the mounting brackets you bought? I bet you can guess what I found in my garage last night....
Old 09-02-2004, 04:25 PM
Contributing Member

Andy,
The front end was re-aligned the day they were originally put on (Sunday). I bought the lifetime alignment package from Firestone so I always make sure my front end is aligned so I can get as many miles as possible out of a set of tires. I will call him in the morning and tell them that I want them to swap the Revos for another set of Revos. However, I asked the guy at A&R Tire today if he saw anything wrong with this set like one being out of round, etc. He said they were perfect. Nothing was wrong with this set except for the original high road force on the one tire which was corrected. I really don't know what to do. Obviously, it is possible to have a good highway ride with this tire on a 4Runner or so many people wouldn't have them. Firestone's balancer scares me though. I just don't think that they can get it as accurate as A&R Tire, which has the Hunter machine.

BTW, I don't have the receipt anymore. They're non-refundable anyway. Will the brackets and rear spoiler be ready Monday also? Thanks again for this dude. Later.

Matt
Old 09-02-2004, 04:26 PM
Contributing Member

One more thing....I didn't see anything on Bridgestone's site about a 30 day money back guarantee. Is he going to balk when I bring it up? Where can I get proof of that instead of here-say? Thanks guys.

Matt
Old 09-02-2004, 04:33 PM
Contributing Member

Go to this: http://www.bridgestonetire.com/dpp/ . Select your vehicle than Revo At tire. When you get to that page, scroll all the way down and click on warranty and you should see the 30 days test drive thing!!
Old 09-02-2004, 04:39 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks Ranma21.

Matt
Old 09-02-2004, 04:48 PM
Contributing Member

Let me make sure we're comparing apples to apples here....The markings on my tires are as follows:

LT265/75R16 119/116R 694 M+S Tubless Steel Belted Radial

This sound familiar to everyone?

Matt
Old 09-02-2004, 04:51 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by LSUMatt1514
Thanks Ranma21.

Matt
You are always welcome Matt!!!
Old 09-02-2004, 05:00 PM
Contributing Member

Ya'll check out these pics. I noticed this while getting the info off of the tires. This is on the rear passenger side wheel which before this afternoon's rotation, was on the front passenger side. I've never seen anything like it and don't recall seeing it there before. Is it a weight used for balancing? I would guess one of the shops (either Firestone or A&R Tire) placed it there to aid in the balancing. Check out the third pic. You can see the standard weight on the perimeter of the wheel and the other on the inside. Strange....

Matt
Old 09-02-2004, 05:07 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Those are stick-on wheel weights. If you have that much on new Revo's, then that's the first one I'd swap...
Old 09-02-2004, 05:35 PM

First of all the 4runner being "Light" ......RIGHT......that's the problem.

I just can't get my "Light" 4Runner over 17mpg, hmmmm I wonder why?

FYI, I have a very good friend where I get my tires and he tells me what up without any BS.
The 4Runner is not as heavy as a Z71 that is true, so the 4Runner comes with a "P" rated tire from the factory not a "LT" rated.
P for passenger and LT for light truck obviously.
My Revos are "P" rated whereas my previous All Terrains were "LT" rated. I noticed a big difference in driving between the two and not just the brand.
My buddy told me that everyone wants the more aggressive look of the "LT" and learn to live with a harsher ride. So they just keep quiet and sell the S**T out of them.
But the Revo looks the same in a "P" and an "LT"

I 100% agree with the other members, Do NOT let them talk you into other crap. You can get a bad tire, even if it balances the other 3 will throw it off.
Try a different set and let them balance them, if it works then take it down to the other shop and have it balanced properly
Old 09-02-2004, 05:46 PM

If you have not done so already, read what Gadget has to say on his website:

http://www.gadgetonline.com/vibration.htm

Also, you are the only person I have heard complain about vibrations with these tires, very odd. Did you get the printout from the Hunter machine? Not only will it tell you about your tires, but it tells you whether your rims are true or not.

Quick Reply: Dueler Revo Vibration Question