Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

Dueler Revo Vibration Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 01:03 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dueler Revo Vibration Question

What's up guys. I got my set of 265/75/16 Revos put on Sunday. I was not impressed at all initially with the ride quality on the highway (the truck vibrated like crazy) so I took it to a small tire shop by the plant I work at. They have the Hunter Road Force Balancing machine. The Firestone service center that I bought them from does not. I figured it was just a balancing issue. Well, I got them road force balanced and it improved significantly, but I still get a pretty good bit of vibration, especially above 60 mph. Should I have them balanced again or is this something I'll have to live with? I thought the Revos performed as well on the highway as they did offroad. The TireRack.com review has them rated a 9 out of 10 in ride quality. BTW, I'm running them right now at 30 psi. Any suggestions are welcome. Later.

Matt
Old 08-31-2004, 01:11 PM
Nic

It may be that you have just one tire that is out of round. In my case, all four (Dunlops) were that way and I replaced them.

With the Hunter machine, they should be able to tell you which tire(s) had unusually high road force numbers and target the bad tire(s).

If you did not have any shaking issues before I would bet your tires are to blame. Just my $.02.
Old 08-31-2004, 01:30 PM
Contributing Member

I can't remember exactly, but I know at least one (it may have been two of them) of the tires had greater than 35 pounds of road force. Way, way too high. He told me that they were able to get them all down around 12-13. Pardon my ignorance, but I'm not sure if 12-13 is great or not. Someone chime in here.

Matt
Old 08-31-2004, 01:46 PM

I had the Revos vibrate pretty bad 50-70mph when they were mounted by a mom&pop shop, had them on like that for 9 months as I rarely drive fast. The shop put on literally half a pound of counterweights.

Then when I had to drive on the highway I took it to a Toyota dealer with a Hunter Roadforce and a Haweka adapter. The guys that was doing the balancing owns a Tundra and mentioned that he got better results without the adapter, but promised to try it both ways (I forgot to ask which he ended up using).

He attached only one small 25(gram?) lead counterweight on each wheels and it drives perfectly now.
Old 08-31-2004, 01:57 PM
Nic

From what I have read here, I think anything under a 16 is good. The Michelins I recently bought had low numbers, with one oddball being a 16, but the ride is great, so I'm not complaining.

My other tires were from 26 up to 44.
Old 08-31-2004, 02:52 PM

I have a set of 275/75/16s mounted on the OEM steel wheels for winter use. I ran them all last winter with no vibration problems. Got them at a local Firestone dealer. I run them at 35 psi, but I did note that at 37 psi they gave me tracking problems. Did you check the lug nut touque? Maybe they overdid it with the air gun when installing?
Old 08-31-2004, 03:02 PM
Contributing Member

No vibrations on mine at all....and I have had them up to 95.
Old 08-31-2004, 03:27 PM
Contributing Member

Could my pressure be too low? I thought that increasing the tire pressure would only make it worse and make you feel every itty bitty bump in the road.

Matt
Old 08-31-2004, 03:28 PM
Contributing Member

I'll probably go back by and see if they will try to balance them again tomorrow. I too only have one weight per wheel.

Matt
Old 08-31-2004, 04:06 PM
Contributing Member

hmm, that is weird. Mine are perfectly fine, ride smooth..
Old 08-31-2004, 04:09 PM

i got mine installed on sat and no vibration actually come to think of it the ride is pretty darn good
Old 08-31-2004, 04:32 PM
Contributing Member

What do ya'll think I should do? I hate to go back to the Firestone service center because they don't have the Hunter balancing machine, and I'm afraid they will mess up the progress that has already been made. Should I give it another round on the Hunter balancer?

Matt
Old 08-31-2004, 05:37 PM
Nic

You may want to do as Techwrench said and re-torque your lug nuts. It is worth a try. If you don't have a torque wrench, no big deal. Just jack the vehicle up and loosen all the lug nuts without removing the tire and then tighten them back down evenly.

You can also try rotating the tires around to see if it the ride improves. First, rotate one side, then the other side if you have to. I tried that on my old tires, but since they were all bad, it was a futile effort.
Old 08-31-2004, 06:44 PM

Take the truck back to the tire and watch them balance them. You will see the tire that is bad. Tell them to make sure its beaded out correctly and if its not tell them to break the tires down and lube them up and spin the tire 180 degrees on the wheel then air it back up to 50 pounds and let it back down. If that doesn't work then take the tires back and get another.
Old 08-31-2004, 07:06 PM
Contributing Member

After 7 separate balancing appointments at 3 different Discount Tire shops, I finally found one that got rid of my 67 - 72 MPH vibration.

I swear balancing wheels/tires is an art.
Old 08-31-2004, 07:15 PM

Haha I'm the balancing God . Bring it own down to Alabama

I'll geter done
Old 08-31-2004, 10:39 PM

Matt,

I've been having a vibration problem for a while now...see my thread for more details:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/vibration-steering-wheel-38463/

The bottom line for me is: I don't think i'm going to buy Bridgestone for ANY vehicle i own (from now going forward). Why? I've had nothing but bad luck trying to get mine balanced. Like yourself, i got a balance done on a hunter balancer with the haweka adapter, and I STILL get a vibration in the wheel. Its not as bad as it was previously, but it's still present.

Not to say that others aren't without problems, i've read about dunlops, goodyear and other brands having vibration issues on 4Runners. Ironically, it seems to be 4Runners that have the problem the most. This leads me to believe that it may not be just the tires alone, something on the truck has to be causing the problem as well.

I can only wish to have the time and $ to solve the problem....it would make life a lot easier for me, and I would be willing to keep my truck longer (i've decided to get something else).

Here's some things to try:
1. Replace all suspension bushings
2. Rebalance again on hunter balancer
3. Have a buddy put the tires/rims onto his 4Runner to see if he gets the same problem
4. Have bridgestone/firestone replace your tires
5. Replace your shocks
6. Buy a new set of another brand
7. Check wheel bearings

Good luck!
Old 09-01-2004, 03:43 AM
Contributing Member

I think step one will be to go by the shop here by the plant this afternoon and have them re-balance them again with the Hunter machine. I'm definitely not paying for the road force balance again ($80) and I'm satisfied with the results that they achieved on it the first time. Hopefully it's just a mis-positioned weight. I'll probably also have them rotate the back tires to the front.

Matt
Old 09-01-2004, 04:33 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You shouldn't have to move brand new tires around. Either they missed one of the wheels, or they screwed up on the balance machine. Either way, for $80, they should be smooth as glass.
Old 09-01-2004, 04:40 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by TechWrench
I have a set of 275/75/16s
Is this a mis-print? I hope not! Post what tires you have and where you bought em if this size is correct

Quick Reply: Dueler Revo Vibration Question