Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

Anyone running nitrogen in your tires??

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 05:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nitrogen for the racetrack only, so you get more consistent results with specific tires and track conditions. all other uses, a waste of money
Old 08-18-2008, 05:43 AM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Except for the fact that N2 is a noble gas that doesn't react with anything, and O2 causes all kinds of things to rust and oxidize. I would imagine that if the inside of your tires only encountered N2, it's useful like would be much much greater since the compounds of the tire would not break down. However, seeing as how we use up the useful tread in just a few years and it takes more like 8 for a tire to start to get "old", it's probably not worth it. But maybe if a person is planning to use the same tires for more than a decade it could be a good option?
Old 08-18-2008, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by RustBucket
Except for the fact that N2 is a noble gas that doesn't react with anything, and O2 causes all kinds of things to rust and oxidize. I would imagine that if the inside of your tires only encountered N2, it's useful like would be much much greater since the compounds of the tire would not break down. However, seeing as how we use up the useful tread in just a few years and it takes more like 8 for a tire to start to get "old", it's probably not worth it. But maybe if a person is planning to use the same tires for more than a decade it could be a good option?
a decade ? the cost of entry to nitrogen for a decade would buy a lot of tires.

no it is not a good option unless you like throwing money away.

buy your own nitrogen generator for home. about $2200 dollars.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:06 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RustBucket
Except for the fact that N2 is most certainly, most definitely, most ultimately NOT a noble gas.

The noble gases are as follows: Helium, Neon, Argon, Krypton, Xenon, and Radon.

Not to mention that what makes a tire "old" is UV radiation from being in the sun, not the air inside.

As for oxidation, sure. Except that only really affects your wheels, and the OUTSIDE of your wheels will degrade LONG before the interior.

For your everyday use, you are wasting your money.

Last edited by AxleIke; 08-18-2008 at 08:10 AM.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by AxleIke
Again with the Molecule size? Gaseous forms of Oxygen and Nitrogen are O2 and N2. 2 oxygens in gaseous oxygen, which is present at about 19 to 20% in air, and 2 atoms of nitrogen in N2. Oxygen has an atomic weight of 16, and Nitrogen of 14. So O2 has a weight of 32, and N2 a weight of 28. OXYGEN IS A LARGER MOLECULE PEOPLE!!!! You would lose less pressure with pure oxygen, but then your tires would spontaneously combust and you would die.
So then all densities are constant in the world. I get it i get it.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:05 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Mic09dcsm
So then all densities are constant in the world. I get it i get it.
Huh?

What does what I said have to do with density?

Density is mass per unit volume. Density is mass dependent in a fixed volume like a tire. I was not discussing density.

People, if you don't believe me, this stuff is readily available on Wikipedia!
Old 08-18-2008, 09:44 AM

The Jiffy Lube stuff is junk. I fill up with Synthetic Nitrogen, it costs 3 times as much, but well worth it if you really care about your car. You want problems down the road, like your tires popping at 90mph? Don't cut corners when it comes to the important stuff.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:57 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by DailyDrive
The Jiffy Lube stuff is junk. I fill up with Synthetic Nitrogen, it costs 3 times as much, but well worth it if you really care about your car. You want problems down the road, like your tires popping at 90mph? Don't cut corners when it comes to the important stuff.
I put synthetic Neon in my tires! Costs 100 times as much, but then my tires glow when I hook up my under truck glowz man!!!

LOL
Old 08-18-2008, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I put free air in my tires, seems like to much a waste of money to pay to inflate your tires imo.

Especially when airing up and down when wheeling.

But call me cheap if you want
Old 08-22-2008, 07:23 PM

Nitrogen

The nitrogen in your tires will not change the roll resistance so it cannot increase gas millage running appropriate tire press. I am an aircraft maintenance tech and we run nitrogen in the tires but it is for preservation of the rubber. Nitrogen may as well leak out slower than air as a side benefit. Hope this helps.

Gregg
Old 08-23-2008, 12:31 AM

there was a gas station in my town with a compressor and it said 'please insert $1'

there was also a tiny sticker on the inside that said 'please see cashier for complimentary air'

i had to go inside twice to get my tires up
Old 08-23-2008, 02:39 AM

I too am in aviation (A&P) and we have to use it in aircraft tires and in accumulators due to the fact that it is has no moisture in it to freeze in the extreme cold of high altitude flights.

As far as cars and trucks I do not see any advantage that would be worth the cost of doing it. The only reason I do it is because I have a nitrogen tank for aircraft use with a chuck and pressure gauge already on it and I am too lazy to drag out my air compressor. BTW I have not seen any MPG increase since I did it.

I call BS on the service shops for there claims!

Last edited by Embfixer; 08-23-2008 at 06:56 PM.
Old 08-23-2008, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by Embfixer
BTW I have not seen any MPG increase since I do it. I call BS on the service shops for there claims!
we need more real world testing results to prove that something that according to all laws of physics should not make one bit of a difference, does indeed not make one bit of a difference
Old 08-23-2008, 06:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DailyDrive
god i hope you are joking!
Old 08-23-2008, 06:55 PM

Smile

Dude... Thats my pipe....I need it back!

Last edited by Embfixer; 08-23-2008 at 06:57 PM.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:03 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Embfixer
I too am in aviation (A&P) and we have to use it in aircraft tires and in accumulators due to the fact that it is has no moisture in it to freeze in the extreme cold of high altitude flights.

As far as cars and trucks I do not see any advantage that would be worth the cost of doing it. The only reason I do it is because I have a nitrogen tank for aircraft use with a chuck and pressure gauge already on it and I am too lazy to drag out my air compressor. BTW I have not seen any MPG increase since I did it.

I call BS on the service shops for there claims!
This makes perfect sense to me. Nitrogen has a ridiculously low freezing point, and thus it would be ideal for aircraft.

I don't buy the degradation of tires. Someone is going to need to show me some data or testing that was done to prove that.

I cannot believe that air would degrade tires fast enough, even in airplanes, to be an issue when compared to the time the tire is actually used before it is worn out by the road or runway.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:12 AM

"I cannot believe that air would degrade tires fast enough, even in airplanes, to be an issue when compared to the time the tire is actually used before it is worn out by the road or runway."

Exactly! Good point!

The tires on the aircraft in our fleet are on wing an avrage of 2-4 weeks. Alot of times less then that if they encounter FOD (forgin object damage). at $12,000 a piece... well we spend alot on tires.

So if you figure your tires on a car or truck might last for 60,0000 miles and you drop $25 twice a year to air up (much more in you air down to go off road.) That still is alot of money to spend on something usless for cars. Wet nasty water and air will not degrade a tire any real amount in 10 years. The road will wear out your tires before air and moisture will.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:14 AM

air is 78% nitrogen to begin with.........
Old 08-25-2008, 04:05 PM

AxelIke will probably correct me if I'm wrong (It's nice to have real Xperts on the forum) , but here's my 2 cents. The nitrogen has less to do with the gas molecules & more to do with the lack of water vapor. Water vapor causes greater expansion when the tires get hot than does "dry" gas. If you live in a dry climate, no point in nitrogen. If you live in a humid climate make sure your compressor has a moisture trap (mine does) & you should be O.K.

Paul
Old 08-25-2008, 04:09 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Hell no nitrogen provides no added benefits. Checking your tire pressure regularly is much more important.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/070216.html

Quick Reply: Anyone running nitrogen in your tires??