Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

All-Terrain vs. All-Season tires for 90% on road use?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2003, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All-Terrain vs. All-Season tires for 90% on road use?

I know this question is somewhat repetitive, but I could only find comparisons of similar tire types while searching.

I need new tires to get through the winter, but this is my last NH winter before moving to San Francisco, where weather will obviously be much less of an issue. So a seperate set of snow tires would be a waste.

Right now running the Mich LT4 XC that the previous owner bought, and down to 1/4" tread... definitely frightening on snow and ice. I don't off-road for off-roading, but I do use my truck to get me to trailheads and/or ski mountains, which means at worst fireroads with a couple of inches of snow or mud or snow on them.

So my question is for those who have tried both good A/T tires (e.g. Dueler Revo, Yoko Geolander AT+II) AND good all-seasons (e.g. Geolander HT/S 051)... Can an all-season get through some of the nastier conditions I'll see? I'd really like the better highway handling, low noise, and longer life of the all-season, but not at the expense of my safety in the snow.

To rephrase: How good is an A/T on the road, and how bad is an A/S in snow and ice?

Thanks.
Old 12-26-2003, 07:12 PM

AT tires have rougher ride, it's not a dramatic diffrence. If you absoloutely have to have a quietest ride then I'd say go with All season. AT tires do great in the snow, i dont know about rain...i know that it's definately better than stock ones. Onroad..its a firmer ride with my tires but traction and ect. is also great it'll do just as good I feel that they grab better than my old stock tires, I changed those with 1/2 tread left on it.

Last edited by 2001Millrunner; 12-26-2003 at 07:18 PM.
Old 12-27-2003, 07:01 AM

The Revo's are your best bet. I haven't used them in snow yet but other guys have and said they performed great in the snow. They are quiet as any tire out out there. You will hear the wind before you hear these tires. I have used them a lot offroad and they performed like mudders. There isn't a tire made that does better on wet roads. I can't get any more wheel spin on wet pavement than I can on dry pavement. I have put 8K miles on these tires in 3 months and loved every mile of it. I bought the truck second hand and the previous owner switched the Dunlaps (original) with the Michelin LTX and these tires are three times the tire. And I don't work/own or have any stock in Bridge/Firestone.
Old 12-27-2003, 07:26 AM

To be honest, after driving 2 days now on Revos they are not that quiet, since not enough time has passed to forget my bald Wranglers RT/S. Revos are quiet for an A/T tire that's no doubt, but not so much when comparing to real touring tires.

If we take Wrangler RT/S review from tirerack.com they have a Noise/Comfort rating of 6.3 with the vast majority of reviewers saying that they are average or easy-going drivers and mostly on-road.

Revos have a Noise/Comfort rating of 8.9 with a good half of drivers rating themselves as fast and aggressive drivers and off-road.

You have to factor in the demographics profile into the reviews, i.e. most Revo buyers have real trucks with less than stellar road manners, and previous tires were most likely also of wild tread variety.

To test this theory, sort Revo reviews by easy-going driver and all-on-road driving. Only 4 results come back, and here are 3 of them directly quoted:

Noise from these tires in around-town driving at 30-40 MPH is disappointingly high. Sounds like a mud-terrain tire. Ride otherwise is jiggly
Tires seem OK except for the hard ride and the road noise.
Im a little dissatisfied with the noise they produce especially in the 10 to 50 MPH range
It's a fine tire, I'm sure the high ratings in other categories hold true, but if you are looking for real comfort while driving maybe a real high-way tire will do better. But then again 4Runner is not a Rolls Royce to begin with, might as well put on tires all 4runner dream about at night
Old 12-27-2003, 07:46 AM

Have you looked into the BF Goodrich Long Trail T/A tires. I've had them for over a year now and I have no complaints about them at all. They have great wet/snow traction and excellent dry traction, and also they are real quite.
Old 12-27-2003, 08:04 AM

Vato,
The Long Trails were stock tires on my old Nissan Xterra. I thought they were ok but they got beatup pretty easily on some easy trails up in Big Bear.

I didn't expect AT tire performance from them but they are basically a street tire, not much grip. But, I have to say I was happy with the Long Trails performance- they are nice and quiet, light tire.

My neighbor has BFG Rugged Trails on his Taco- they look more rugged and seem to do the job for 95% street driving.

.Ohio,
My opinion is that you would be happier with a all-season instead of a AT tire.
Something like what Vato is suggesting or my friend likes the Rugged Trails, 4th gen owners are happy with the stock Michelin's LTX(?). Don't get the Dunlop AT20-very thin tread.

Last edited by FirstToy; 12-27-2003 at 08:13 AM.
Old 12-27-2003, 09:20 AM
Banned

I got Mudders and don't hear a thing w/ the radio all the way up and windows up
Old 12-27-2003, 10:26 AM

The Michelin Cross Terrain™ SUV........also Great tire I ever own.....I had a bad experience with the Dunlop tire...they suck big time.....no good at rain & snow.......I learned after 2 times I have used them. Perhaps next time I will try the Bridgestone Dueler Revo.
Old 12-27-2003, 10:44 AM

Thanks for the help fellas. I'm thinking I'll go for the all-seasons... got a bit more research to do, but I'll follow up on the suggestions though I'm still leaning towards the geolander ht/s 051.

I've never had a problem with low speed traction for the things I do... only traction on loose gravel, ice, and packed snow above maybe 20mph. So the A/T's are probably overkill for me.
Old 12-27-2003, 10:56 AM

I just got some Revos. They are noisy, but very quiet for a A/T with an agressive tread. They carry a "E" load rating wich means they can handle up to 3415lbs. and have a max. inflation of 80psi. These are SERIOUS tires! I had the Duler H/L on before and I loved them. They are fine for a few fire road type stuff and they are a L/T tire with a "C" load rating. They do ride great, have very little noise at all. Get the Duler H/L you will be very happy. Besides BFG has a 30-day test drive on the Dulers. I started with the regular A/T and I upgraded to the Revo after 450 miles and 2 weeks. I am very happy with the Revos BTW
Old 09-11-2011, 01:07 PM

Here is a list of tires I found on another site. This is rated by consumer report.
Number one being best. I don't know with what criterias they were rated.
Someone said on the same forum that Michelin LTX M/S was popular with
Toyota owners. ?

I believe these are all-season tires.

1. Goodyear Fortera HL Edition
2. Pirelli Scorpion STR A
3. Hankook DynaPro AS RH03
4. Kelly Safari Signature
5. Dayton Timberline HT
6. Hankook DynaPro AT RF08
7. Dunlop Radial Rover AT
8. General AmeriTrac SUV (Sears)
9. Uniroyal Laredo Cross Country
10. Toyo Radial Open Country M410
11. Kumho Road Venture HT
12. Firestone Destination LE
13. Bridgestone Dueler H/T D684
14. Uniroyal Laredo All Season AWP
15. Michelin XC LT4 (Sears)
16. Cooper Discoverer H/T
17. Michelin LTX M/S
18. Yokohama Geolandar H/T-S G051
19. Michelin Cross Terrain
20. Continental ContiTrac SUV
21. Kelly Safari SUV
22. BFGoodrich Radial Long Trail T/A
Old 09-12-2011, 07:21 AM

8 year old thread, Wayne.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:41 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
it's ok, wayne likes to wander
Old 09-12-2011, 10:11 AM

Oh man. 8 yrs? I suppose the guys already picked new tires by now.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:45 AM

I hear he is still "on the fench" about the whole situation
Old 09-15-2011, 04:14 PM

Some people want to check out all the possibilities I guess.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:50 PM

If you get an all season tire sipe em for the winter season, it does make a difference coming from a tire guy. Last winter siping was standard since there was soo much snow and ice. It is a cheap and efficient investment
Old 09-15-2011, 06:24 PM

Siping sounds logical but I have a hard time believing that the tire won't wear quicker with all the little extra edges. I am probably just being a little silly about a small amount of tire wear. Maybe they aren't opening to the road unless the tire is under duress? Which is not that often.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:30 PM

I think I'm going to go with an all season and try for quiet and comfortable next set of tires. Probably in a year. Maybe not quite so wide as the 30 x 9.5 but they do look good. Thanks for the info on the sipes.

I have a Tacoma, not a pre 95. I'm on a Tacoma site quite a bit. Somehow I feel more comfortable on this site. Not sure why. They seem pretty nice on that site also. ?????
Old 09-16-2011, 01:26 PM

Siping actually will cool off the tire in the summer which prevents less tread loss when it heats up. I know its hard to believe but I see our tires go in and out every day with and without siping and there is a difference. just my 2 cents

Quick Reply: All-Terrain vs. All-Season tires for 90% on road use?