Camping, Expedition, & Overlanding Gear Discussion pertaining to outfitting yourself with gear for the great outdoors

Picking my 30th birthday gift; roof basket a good choice?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 10:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Picking my 30th birthday gift; roof basket a good choice?

<go ahead and move this with my apologies if I'm in the wrong section- I'm discussing expedition gear, but in more of an advice than a tech sort of way>

I'll be turning 30 in December. My wife wants to get me a gift, and she knows I've previously mentioned liking roof baskets. Problem is, I'm not 100% sold that it would be a worthwhile investment for my needs... and I'm feeling a little "grass is greener" pre-remorse, wondering if there's a better purchase out there that would see greater use and make me happier. I don't care about the gas mileage impact; it's 4Runner, not a Metro.

Pros:
-we have a 3 month old baby. Basket would be nice for hauling around his stuff and larger boxed gifts at Christmas and Birthdays over the next few years.
-I try to help friends out a lot with small construction projects. I'd love to be able to roof-top some of my tools and keep the dust/splinters out of my interior when it's time to go home.
-I've been looking at building a cedar strip kayak, and can't help but think how awesome my 4runner would look with a roof basket and a shiny wooden kayak on top of it. Hopefully awesome enough to make people want to buy said cedar strip kayak from me if I enjoy doing it (potential side project: truck + basket + kayak = lifestyle advertising truck!).
- I like the prospect of having a place to put skis, camping gear, etc as our kid grows up into the years where I'll be impressing the joy of the outdoors upon him. Last time we went camping with just 2 of us the back end was full. I can't imagine adding in a kid's worth of stuff as well.
- I could carry a real shovel instead of a plastic p.o.s. in winter.

Cons:
- I perceive it as a lot of money to be spent on a whim.
- Afraid the more affordable Basketcase would be chintzy looking; don't really like that rack and think she'd be spending ~$300 for one I'd like.
- afraid of looking "Mall Rated" for driving around with a rack that doesn't get used 80-90% of the time.
- Fear of looking back 6 months later and saying "I should have bought XYZ instead".
- I live in Michigan, land of gravel and road salt during winter. Afraid the rack would provide more places for rust to develop.
- In terms of reality vs. fantasy, this thing is a daily driver. It's gone off-road maybe 5 times in the last year, if it was lucky.

So... obviously I'm torn. I want, but am pretty sure I don't need. Looking for input on baskets that suit my truck's lifestyle, maybe unexpected basket uses people have found in my situation that have made having one worthwhile.... or you can push me off the fence and tell me from your own experience that it's not worth it/totally is!

Open to suggestions on affordable racks and places to purchase them, and other awesome 4Runner related gift ideas as well.

Thanks!
Old 10-08-2010, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get the $300.00, hire a baby sitter, find a nice place to take the wife for the weekend,and give her a break from the 3 month old.It will do you both some good.
Then look on craigslist, and find a used basket.I just picked up a load warrior with extension for $100.00

Last edited by iselloil; 10-08-2010 at 11:46 AM.
Old 10-10-2010, 02:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Been watching CL here locally, there was a load warrior up for a while, but didn't see the ad until it had already been long gone for a few weeks. Just checked again, no dice. I check back every week or so, but it's apparently not a popular item to let go of up here, I guess.

The getaway sounds like a realistic and decent idea. Not sure if we'll be prepared to leave him overnight with someone else by that point (he'll be 6 months old), but if we are, then maybe we can take off for a weekend or something.
Old 10-10-2010, 03:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah roof basket! I just installed one on my 86' 4Runner. Happy birthday btw
Old 10-28-2010, 02:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm thinking of getting this one it looks nice has decent capacity and is affordable. http://www.discountramps.com/roof-luggage-rack.htm It also comes in a smaller size for $89 instead of $109.