Camping, Expedition, & Overlanding Gear Discussion pertaining to outfitting yourself with gear for the great outdoors

Adventure/Outdoor Clothing

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 03:23 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Adventure/Outdoor Clothing

What brands/models do you like to get for camping?
I have some really nice Columbia cotton cargo pants called the GPS, but alas they quit making them.
I bought three pair a few years ago to wear to work, kick back on the weekends, go wheeling in them, and also take camping.

I get Deluths Trading magazine via mail, and I decided to try out some of their gear.
This store comes highly regarded on other forums.
I just placed an order at Deluth for:
CoolMax® Action Shirt

Performance Ripstop Pants

MN Performance Ripstop 9" Shorts

I am not a fan of the pants not having a zipper in them, but I will give them a try.
I also liked getting helped after the second phone ring, and no transferring or phone menu to wade through.

Deluth also makes very nice work pants that stand up to abuse, much like Carhartts do.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just regular jeans and t-shirts for me, and a decent pair of hiking boots. Oh, and my Carhartt jacket, of course....
Old 04-06-2009, 04:06 PM

It really all depends on what you are doing when you go camping. I shy away from cotton materials of course and try to focus on layers. Always bring 2 pairs of shoes/boots and the proper socks! Good socks are a must.
Not sure what you Am'ricans have, but alot of canucks shop at mec (www.mec.ca) since they have clothing and gear for many applications at a reasonable cost.
You may want to check them out since they do have an online store.
And if you like carharts, check out dickies instead. Same product, sometimes better, and much cheaper.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
cargo's i love pockets.. also stuff from dick stoprts they have warm hoodies and jacket type things.. for up in canada its COLD..

corey always has the low down on the camping situation...
we got some really cool cups that dont spil and keep drinks warm/cold at my work.. they might be called congos but i they are pretty cool.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:46 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

I quit wearing jeans years ago.
I do not like the heavy stiff cotton, although I do wear cotton pants like the GPS pants I mentioned above.

Plus jeans if they get wet, they are useless and can cause hypothermia.
The nice thing about nylon or cotton/nylon blend is they dry very quickly if they get wet.

I have two pair of nice Columbia nylon cargo shorts I bought years ago.
Again, Columbia quit making them.
I wish they would quit doing that when they have a good product then quit making it and offer something else that is not as good.

I practically live in shorts from April to October with the exception of going to work.
The buildings I support now the boss frowns upon wearing shorts at them.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:49 PM
Contributing Member

Back when I had time to go camping I used to wear my Tough Duck heavy canvas work pants they are double layered from mid-thigh to mid-calf and can really take a lot of abuse and they stay warm when damp... Also mil surplus stuff... wool sweaters... flannel shirts... cotton t's, fleecies, nylon flight jacket... I try to avoid nylon it does'nt breath well and likes to melt into your skin if it catches fire...
Old 04-07-2009, 01:21 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Here is a brand some may like.
Extra material in all the right places, these are used for mountaineering.

Mountain Khakis company

Alpine pant

Original Mountain pant
Old 04-07-2009, 03:13 AM

patagonia all the way, their wool series, capaline, and R series. def some of the best made

arc teryx is way up on the list too.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:17 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by jjrgr21
patagonia all the way, their wool series, capaline, and R series. def some of the best made

arc teryx is way up on the list too.
I agree!
Old 04-07-2009, 10:13 AM

for work pants MK destroys carhart, carharts have a breakin, and when they are broken in they're already worn out. MK's are already comfy, and burly tough. my only complaint is limited size. i'm 6'2 and 155. but MK's are leaps and bounds better.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:15 AM

corey,

mountain hardware has some nylon pants that are great, and can be found @ STP for around $30
Old 04-07-2009, 12:09 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Originally Posted by jjrgr21
corey,

mountain hardware has some nylon pants that are great, and can be found @ STP for around $30
I have a pair that came last week from REI, they are called the Mesa.
They are to small, I have to ship them back.

not crazy about the buckle/snap they use, plus the belt was all twisted up inside the pants, and there is no way to get to the belt to really straighten it out.
These are the ones sitting on my couch waiting to be returned.

http://www.rei.com/product/779764

Old 04-21-2009, 07:46 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

An update to this thread:

A few weeks back I ordered some clothing from Duluth Trading, their Rip Stop Performance pants and shorts, both items I shipped back as I swam in them.

I also got their CoolMax short sleeved shirt which I kept.
I wore the shirt to work yesterday, one of the hottest days yet here in Western Washington.
The shirt rocks, it kept me very cool, and not clammy like an all cotton T shirt which I normally wear to work.
I work outside all the time at work, and I can appreciate a shirt that I do not get clammy sweaty in.

Here is the shirt.

Short Sleeve CoolMax Action Shirt

I like it so well I ordered two more this morning, and I also ordered the pants again in a size smaller.

Performance Ripstop Pants

I decided to try one of their hats too for keeping the sun off my noggin'.

The Crusher

If the pants fit, I will let you know how I like them.
I will test them out at work like I did the shirt.
The pants will be for both work and play, so if I like them, I will be ordering more.

Hopefully the hat works out too.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:14 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

The problem with those pants and shorts besides the buckle, they are not made for serious drinkers....no zipper. Of course if you sit to pee I guess it doesn't matter.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:00 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Phil, there is a cure for the no zipper part.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:26 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Originally Posted by Corey

It sucks getting old.......
Old 04-21-2009, 06:47 PM
Contributing Member

The North Face! Mountain Jacket and Mountain Light Jacket for rain/snow protection, Denali fleece (my absolute favorite jacket) for insulation layer or light warm jacket. Moisture wick pants with Hyvent pants as the final layer. Most of my camping outerwear I also use for skiing, etc..

I mostly wear Polo cargo shorts for everything no matter how cold it is for camping and everyday wear at home. Being form Texas, I hate being hot so I love it when I get to experience anything cold... so even in Colorado in the fall...I wear shorts and sandals all the time...I never get cold unless I am skiing. I've even given up my waders for fly fishing...I just stand in the water. I like the cut of the Polos and the way they are built to last...I buy them of course at the outlet and on E-bay. I have big upper legs and most pants are too tight on me unless the waist is too big.

I went to IL one time to visit my wifes family....it started sleeting and was about 28 degrees outside...all the "Northerners" were bundled up. I was in my shorts and sandals. We went into a Olive garden and it was like 80 in there! I was sweating through my T-shirt...what is up with that! I really thought they would be more tolerant of the cold.

Like I said, I love my North Face gear and it lasts forever. I have three Denalis just because I wanted different colors. I can't seem to wear them out.

I do however have a Boat House Gortex suit also. It is a great all around suit! If you are not familiar with Boathouse, just watch a College football game. 95% of all College football coaches jackets are made by Boat House...They may say NIKE or ADIDAS on them, but that logo is sewn on because they are sponsored by those companies and have to advertise. The Parkas and pants are made by Boat House and are far superior to anything the sporting good companies make.

I do like some of the Columbia pants, shorts and shirts...and I do have a couple of pair of Columbia shorts....they work better for fishing since the cargo shorts just get in the water and get heavy....the columbia shorts dry really fast and are shorter. I have not been impressed with their fleece, it is too stiff and not soft...pills really bad too.

If it was really cold, I would probably just wear jeans, but I don't like them and they are a little rough on my boys...sweats are more cumfy! I'll take a good hoodie anytime!
Old 04-21-2009, 06:48 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Corey

Corey that looks like the women's version to me....

By the way, don't forget your toothbrush when camping!
Old 04-22-2009, 01:00 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Originally Posted by nieuwendyk-25
Corey that looks like the women's version to me....

By the way, don't forget your toothbrush when camping!
He he, I just grabbed the first Google pic I found.

I know what you mean about jeans above.
I do not like jeans, quit wearing them years ago.
I like looser fitting lighter clothes.
Plus jeans are worthless if they get wet.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:05 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When i would go on camp trips into Jasper/Banff i would trust Ripzone snowboarding equipment/clothing. I have used others in the past but non kept me warm while i either slept or was boarding.

Quick Reply: Adventure/Outdoor Clothing