Domestic Swaps Chevrolet, Ford, ect

help swapping buick 225 into my 84

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 10:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
help swapping buick 225 into my 84

well i got a free buick 225 for some work i did and i am putting it in my 84 extracab. it was swapped into a GPW (ford flat fender) so i have the conversion bolt in mounts from that and i can make those work, and i got a radiator, all i need is the bell housing and clutch. i have the conversion bell housing that was used to mate the buick to a t-90 and was wondering if i could use this and redrill holes to mount the bell housing to the w series tranny i have? also i need a 10" toyota clutch does anyone know if there is a factory application for these or do you have to buy the one from downey or AA. would like to find one i didn't have to order to keep the price down.

Thanks for any and all input.

Ryan
Old 11-03-2008, 11:37 AM

well blew my 22r yesturday so this has taken a higher priority.

well i found out that the kit for the chevy and buick from advanced adapters and downey is the same kit.

any one know if there is a cheaper way to get the right clutch and pressure plate? any factory application for a 10.5" 1-1/8" disc spline, with 21 splines?

Also it says you have to use a high center pressure plate? how is this different from a regular pressure plate?
Old 12-29-2008, 04:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my sugestion for you would be to get a turbo 350 and adapt it that way the buick is going to shread that yota tranny alive and you can find 350 to toyota adapters everywhere for around 100 bucks
Old 12-29-2008, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by mouse4x4
my sugestion for you would be to get a turbo 350 and adapt it that way the buick is going to shread that yota tranny alive and you can find 350 to toyota adapters everywhere for around 100 bucks
well i already got the AA adapter so we will see how it goes!!

I do alot of deep snow wheeling so i didn't want an auto cause they always seem to overheat and burn up!!

We will see how long the 5-speed lasts, my friend has a 351 with the stock 5-speed and has not had problems yet...and he has alot heavier foot than i!!!
Old 12-29-2008, 05:35 PM

Got cha man If you have any questions about your swap give me a shout and i will see if i can help you out. Auto trans (if you build it it will last) just my
Old 12-30-2008, 08:35 AM

Got cha man If you have any questions about your swap give me a shout and i will see if i can help you out. Auto trans (if you build it it will last) just my
yeah i could have prob built an auto to hold up i just wne tthe easy way, cause i would have had to relocate the t-case with an auto and i really dont feel like doing the drive shaft game again!.

I like how the buick fits, lots of room all the way around and i think i should be able to get away with using the stock radiator for a while cause it never gets real warm up here. What radiator did you use for this swap?

Also, i almost ditched the buick cause i got a free running 91 chevy with the 4.3 and 5-speed but i had already bought the conversion bell housing, and i couldn't bring my self to part a perfectly good truck!!
Old 12-30-2008, 04:45 PM

you will need to change radiators these buick motors run on the hot side as it is. Extremeradiator.com has a direct bolt in for like 180 bucks it is for a small block swap but it cools the buick great and it bolts to your exsisting holes
Old 12-30-2008, 05:23 PM

you will need to change radiators these buick motors run on the hot side as it is. Extremeradiator.com has a direct bolt in for like 180 bucks it is for a small block swap but it cools the buick great and it bolts to your exsisting holes
you think the stock rad will hold out for the rest of the winter? it is only like four months old and it only gets to 15 maybe 20 degrees up here all winter?

I saw one guy on pirate that used a stock 3.0 radiator and he was in arazona?
Old 12-31-2008, 03:50 PM

I dont think it will. I had no luck trying it. It was fine idleing but once you started moving it just keep climbing. did you check that site out
Old 01-02-2009, 11:07 AM

I dont think it will. I had no luck trying it. It was fine idleing but once you started moving it just keep climbing. did you check that site out
that is not a bad price for that radiator, but i have a buddy that will give me a 3 core 3.0 v-6 radiator for 20 bucks so i think i will try that first and then order that one if it dosent work.

Thanks for the input!

It is hard to think of overheating for me right now casue te weather has been in the -20's for about three weeks!! kind of odd to think about overheating in that weather lol
Old 01-03-2009, 06:48 PM

got cha man well if you have any other questions give a shout i will be glade to help ya out
Old 01-05-2009, 07:48 AM

got cha man well if you have any other questions give a shout i will be glade to help ya out
thanks man.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:06 PM

So is there a good step by step kinda deal with swapping the buick into a yota. I was really considering the 5vz 3.4l but i think the buick swap could get me back on the road alot faster. My 3.0 is just tired and needs to get put to rest.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by N204life
So is there a good step by step kinda deal with swapping the buick into a yota. I was really considering the 5vz 3.4l but i think the buick swap could get me back on the road alot faster. My 3.0 is just tired and needs to get put to rest.
there really isn't much to it:
1-AA chevy adapter, which has the old buick bolt pattern also. uses a fj-60 slave and will bolt right up with the stock buick flywheel a clutch disc out of a newer3.4 taco and a gm pressure plate and throwout bearing.

2-motormounts, either buy them or fab the stock mounts to fit the buick like i did.

3- get a gm one wire alt and a factory gm HEI dist (only one hot wire) and factory gm starter with the nose cone shaved down a little. 4 wires total for the entire motor.

4- use the stock GM p/s pump with a custom made high pressure line easily made at any reputable hydraulic hose or tractor store. take in both your old toyota and the gm line and they will reuse the ends and save you alot of time and $$.

5- exhaust, you can buy a set of headers from summit for a buick regal or century from the late 70's and they will fit or you can get some stock manifolds and make them fit like i did if you want to be cheap.

6- but a v-6 swap radiator and an electric fan. I am using the stock radiator for now until summer hits cause i am not really worried cause it has been -20ºF for like 2 months and no light at the end of the tunnel so i think it should work for now. as for electric fan go get a fan from a ford taurus, make sure you get the fan with three wires coming off not two the three wire will blow twice as much air.

I think that about covers it......any other questions feel free to use this thread and i or others who have done it will gladly help you out!! unless you are a ducks fan.....jsut kidding man, i am a coug and my girlfriend was a duck so i am just flipping you S@#$.

good luck, alot cheaper than the 3.4 and ALOT less wiring with the carbed motor!!! parts are cheap too!!

Last edited by ryantowry_81; 01-08-2009 at 08:19 AM.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:38 AM

TS ALIVE!!!!!! didn't get any new pics but got to hear her roar last night!!! all i got to do now is get exhaust done have my custom P/S line made and wire my electric fan and i will out for a test ride!!! i am so stoked!!!
Old 01-16-2009, 09:19 AM

some teaser pics:
motor pics:

got bored with some spray on bed liner:

patrick added some paint to the hood......

and the sticker:

alli got to do is finish building the exhaust and mont up and plump the P/S pump and wire the fan and we should be good for sunday!!!
Old 01-17-2009, 02:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congrats! I know the feeling!

I too sprayed on that bedliner in th exact same pattern. It easily chips off the line where the bedliner meets the paint. Otherwise its not too bad. I might do the entire truck with bedliner.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:22 PM

thanks man! i know i did that on another truck and had the same prob but then i got some clear coat in a spray canand covered the edges and it solved the problem.

I got to drive the truck for about 50 ft yesturday, i didn't go farther casue the clutch is still not ajusted right and i hads to start her in gear and shut it down to change gears, but i did get to hit the trottle in 2wd hi range and without using the clutch spun both rears on just slightly wet pavement!!!! that might not seem like much but with 39.5's and 4.10s i think that says something for the strength of that motor, and the choke was still on too!!!

i cant wait to get her all tuned up and out on the trail!!! i might actually get out of first low range on the trail now!!
Old 02-06-2009, 06:11 PM

Oh man i remenber when i fired mine up the first time with the buick. Open headers odd fire motor everything sounds great
Old 02-06-2009, 06:12 PM

The engine compartment cleans up nicely with out all the eletronic junk in there dosent it

Quick Reply: help swapping buick 225 into my 84