3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

Yup, another 3.4 Swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 02:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I hate being broke.....Should be unhooking the rest of the 3.0 on Monday. Still waiting on a decent paycheck to tune up the 3.4 before dropping it in. This sucks. Any recommendations on things that I should try to leave in the engine bay when the 3.0 comes out?
Old 07-03-2010, 11:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Leave your alternator harness...for some reason, when I did my swap, the 3.4 harness that was coupled to the alternator (I got everything with my 3.4 donor engine, including A/C, power steering pump, and alternator) didn't do anything. I ended up cutting the plug off the 3.4 harness and spliced it onto my 3.0 harness to get the charging to work.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:03 PM

which altenator did you use?
Old 07-05-2010, 07:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I used the 3.4 alternator that came with my engine. Just seemed easier.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:23 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
3.4 alternator here as well. Just cut and spliced the wires from the 3.0 harness color to color
Old 07-10-2010, 02:32 PM

Got some stuff pulled out today, and have a few questions.....

How hard would it be to replace this box? This one is busted all to crap, and I can't mount it to anything.

What is this sensor? It came from near the top of the trans. on the pass. side. It is the last connector on the lead going to the O2 sensor. I accidently pulled the wires out of the back of the plug while pulling the harness over the trans.

What is this canister for? It is located in the pass. wheel well behind the headlight under where the battery used to sit.

I got the ECU pulled out and the complete wiring harness loose and ready to be pulled with the engine. All that's left is unhook the fuel line, unbolt the trans. and it's ready to come out.

I don't have a welder, any suggestions for fabbing a battery tray? Also, I will be fabbing my own airbox (the donor vehicle lost the other one in the crash). I will be using old air duct work sheetmetal to build the enclosure and then running PVC in the fender to a homemade snorkel. I have relocated my radio antenna to the rear of the vehicle, so I can bring the snorkel out through the fender in the same area. BTW anybody know where I can get a plug for the hole for the old antenna cable?

Each time I'm under the truck, I scrap a little more mud/dirt/oil off of it. By the time this is done, the truck will loose about 100# of dirt.

Lot done, Lots more to go.....
Old 07-10-2010, 02:36 PM

Oh, also, I have a new oil cooler for the 3.0. Is this the same part # as the one on the 3.4? If so, I can go ahead and replace it, if not, anybody want it?
Old 07-11-2010, 11:38 AM

1. Should be fairly simple to change out that fuse box. Tons of trucks being parted out in the classifieds to grab one from.

2. Either a backup light switch or 4x4 switch

3. Vacuum canister for your front ADD to engage the 4x4

Oil coolers have different part numbers. Not sure if they would interchange.
89-95 15710 65050
95+ 15710 62050

I bought my box from Ballistic Fab. Its for an Optima but they have standard boxes. They were cheap enough that it wasnt worth building myself, and theirs looks 100 times better than mine would have.

Lots of room under the fender to work a snorkle in there. Check out Cadman's or my thread for pictures.

Good luck
Old 07-15-2010, 07:23 AM

Man I miss having my 4Runner to drive right now. I'm bouncing between different vehicles until this is done. The main one is a '93 Subaru Imprezza...good little car, nuff said. The other is a '06 Heep Jangler, makes me miss the Runner that much more. Shoddy craftsmanship on the Heep, only 42k on the odom. and the check engine light came on yesterday, and the softtop has started coming unstitched. Last time I drove it, the clutch broke. The connection between the pedal and the master cylinder is a plastic clip, and it shattered when I put the clutch in, rendering the thing useless....

I miss my truck
Old 07-15-2010, 07:48 AM

Then get out there and get to work!!!

I kinda miss my Jeep. 77 CJ5 that I swapped a Tuned Port motor from a Corvette into, Turbo 350 (Turbo 400 was too long. would have had a 7" rear driveline) and a Dana 300. Really fun toy to drive on the trail, or just to get an ice cream cone with the family on a summer night.

Ok, now go get to work!

What do you have left to do?
Old 07-15-2010, 08:06 AM

alot. Started on the wiring this week. That's gonna be fun. Already been to TIS and downloaded everything for both the '96 and my '91. I get to read and plan at work, so I'm doing some of that there. As far as the 3.0, just unhook fuel lines and unbolt the transmission and it's ready to come out. On the 3.4, still needing funds to get the crossover, and assorted parts to replace/tune-up before it goes in. That's why I had said that I hate being broke. I would really like to stick to Yota parts, but funds may limit me on that. I will probably go with an Autozone clutch system, and I looking at the difference in prices for the other parts vs. how much harder it will be to replace them later The body lift is already on. Oh, I need to find a cherry picker to pull the engine with. Again, that goes into funds.

Doing all this while working full time and summer classes trying to graduate in December.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:15 AM

Is there a FSM for the 3.4? Or even a Hayes or Chilton's manual?
Old 07-15-2010, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by wii_tarded
Doing all this while working full time and summer classes trying to graduate in December.
I remember those days!!

Here's a link to FSM's.

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/index.html
Old 07-16-2010, 07:39 AM

wii - The 3.0 flywheel, starter, and complete clutch set-up will work with the 3.4
I have been running mine that way for several months now without any problems.
It the clutch behind the old 3.0 is in good shape, then this will save you some bucks.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:00 AM

Been planning on following Zook's layout for the clutch..

http://www.andrewzook.com/content/view/22/37/

His write-up and others have been an invaluable resource.
Old 07-17-2010, 07:30 PM

got a little more done today, had to clean the oil pan that will be going on the 3.4. It looked like it had been taken off of an engine, had a couple hand-fuls of dirt thrown in, and put back on. It's from a different vehicle. Got it mostly cleaned and ready to go on, but the oil pick up is now missing....not paying $95 for one from autozone and not going throught the fight at a pick and pull for one. Hitting the member classifieds for one. Also, realized that the 3.4 also has that convenient (sp??) little plug for the dipstick guide, only I haven't been able to drive it out yet. Will be trying heat soon.

I am getting desperate to have this thing back on the road.
Old 07-18-2010, 05:58 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
I had a perfect size punch that drove the plug out, got another bung from the dealer to move the dipstick and put the plug in the other spot.

I've got all my parts just have to finish PCing the valve covers, intake etc to get it all back together.

Old 07-18-2010, 07:37 AM

What you didnt read my thread?

1/4 extension fits perfectly to drive out the plug. No need for heat. 2-3 whacks with a hammer and it'll fall out.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:52 AM

I did read your thread!!! Did you use a 10# sledge to drive it? Though I didn't use a 1/4 in. extention, ( I used an old bolt ) my deadblow was no match for it. It was your thread that showed me about the bung to be driven out in the first place.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:12 AM

Hmmm...mine came right out. Maybe your thought of a little heat wouldnt hurt.

Quick Reply: Yup, another 3.4 Swap