3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

Toyota Motorhome 3.0 Swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 02:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if it makes you feel better about your harness I got mine back from Toyonly guys (dang usps took forever also) after having to send it back to them because of a mistake they made, the second time around... it works perfect!

Add the supercharger! you will be happy you did, I sure am!
Old 09-20-2011, 02:37 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Captainjack
Still waiting for the harness. It was completed last week; unfortunately, the toyonly guys and I didn't talk before it was sent otherwise I would have had it the next day! Now it is in the clutches of the US Post Office--Please Help Us! Maybe I'll get it this week. Toyonly guys: Please NEVER use the post office again! At any rate, I've made a few changes while waiting for the harness: I decided to move the battery to the driver side after all--mostly because it looks a lot better, not so crowded on the passenger side. I got the hood almost done sheetmetal-wise. I'll get it painted in the next couple of weeks. I made a battery tray from stainless steel--it looks pretty good. I also found a couple of radiator hoses that are "perfect" fits for using the stock 3.0 radiator with this swap. I'll post the part numbers next week along with some new pics. If the harness plugs in like I expect I should be on the road for the weekend. I've pretty much decided to buy a small boat (17'). I'll try pulling it with the stock 3.4 and if that doesn't do well, then I'll put the SC on this thing real soon.
I ran into this EXACT same problem.

I assure you, its not the post office, its the incompetant shipper. I specified a shipping address not only in my paypal order, but via the email conversation I was having with Cliff. They then SOMEHOW combined the wrong address and the right address and sent my crossover pipe to a place that didn't exist in the wrong town. Luckily for me the post office was generous enough and quick enough to catch it and someone there just so happened to know where my business was located.

Top off the fact that the pipe didn't fit right, and turned toward the transmission, and I won't ever be using them again.

Too bad ORS isn't still in business. They were spendy, but they did it right the FIRST time.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:50 PM

Got the harness this afternoon. It looks good, so hopefully we'll be able to have this thing started by tomorrow. I'll post with pics when it starts!
Old 09-21-2011, 04:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oh snap I'm anxious to see the results
Old 09-22-2011, 04:26 PM

With the exception of body work and paint on the hood, this project is done until the SC is installed.
I have to commend the guys at toyonly, the harness was perfect in every respect. We had it installed, and fired up in two hours. I've driven the motorhome about 30 miles with no codes, no problems of any kind--off to a good start. What a difference in performance! And the 2.5 magnaflow exhaust gives it a great, subtle rumble. Tomorrow I go for emissions; I'm hoping that it will sail thru as an original installation, but you never know. We plan on going to the mountain this weekend and then the hood goes in for bondo and paint next week. I can't say that I'm crazy about my sheetmetal work but I'll reserve judgement until I see it painted. I'll do a summary of all the detail on this project in the next week or so. I haven't made any real mistakes but maybe a write up will prevent someone else from buying three donor vehicles before they get the right one! But that worked out ok too: my daughter got one of them and I make $1500 profit on the other one! Enjoy the pics: http://photobucket.com/motorhomeengineswap
Old 09-23-2011, 04:03 AM

as always dang nice capin. i think the scoop will look good once its painted. are you going to opean up those marked holes? prob. would help keep engine temps down, but then driving in a down pour could dirty up that prestine engine bay. & have fun
Old 09-23-2011, 10:13 AM

I just got thru emissions. They flagged it for not having the old air pump, but waived it thru after the ref checked determined that all systems were present for the 97 conversion: OBD port etc.
I just got a code on the transmission: P0710 transmission fluid temp sensor circuit malfunction. Anyone know anything about this? The tranny shifts fine and seems to be ok with the entire swap.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:03 AM

I found out what the code is about: the motorhome tranny DOES talk to the T100 ecu, but it does not have a temp sensor. The ecu is looking for a signal from the temp sensor and eventually gives up and codes the check engine light. I'm talking to Cliff at toyonly. His first suggestion is to wire in a resistor but I don't think that will work for too long. I think the ecu will eventually recognize that the value is always the same and not like it?? I've suggested that maybe we link the signal to the engine temp sensor sending unit, that should give a varying signal with temperatures similar to what you'd expect from the tranny. He hasn't gotten back with me yet. I guess another fix would be to take the actual sensor from the T100 tranny and mount it somewhere where it would get a temp signal--maybe build a small manifold and put it on the radiator hose?? Anyone else seen this problem? The motorhome runs great but I can't live with a full time "check engine" code.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:31 AM

i think the resistor will work fine all the ecu is looking for is some kind of resistence ex: on my 03 wrx i removed the cat. in front of my turbo and soldered in a 2.2k ohm resistor and viola no check engine light. i knowone is a yota and ones a subie (apples to oranges) but i think the ecu opperation should be similar. ecu's are great but they really arn't all that "smart"

Last edited by wannayotamonster; 09-25-2011 at 09:32 AM.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:54 AM

I've logged about 4 hrs driving with the 5k resistor and all is well. You're right, the ecu is not all that "smart" and the easiest fix (resistor) is the best. If anything changes I'll post it. The guys at Toyonly were very helpful getting this problem fixed.
What a difference in performance this engine makes! The hood is off being bondo'ed and painted and should be back on the road by the weekend.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:18 PM

glad to hear it i definately want to see the hood after the bondo. were you going to opean it up, make it a functional vent for excessive heat or to bring in some nice cool air while driving?
Old 09-27-2011, 02:02 PM

I thought about it but heat didn't seem to be an issue and the engine gets sufficient air for running. I don't want to deal with the dirt and grime getting sucked into the engine compartment--so the hood is for clearance only, and it will clear the future SC.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:24 AM

sounds good, i like the idea of a "functional" hood scoop but ya definately gotta factor in the dirt & grime mess or a nice clean engine compartment
Old 09-28-2011, 05:11 PM

Congrats on everything! The extra power is amazing! Just wait until you get that SC under there!
Old 09-28-2011, 05:14 PM

I notice on your hood you didnt have to cut the supports whereas on other swaps I have seen it done. You sure it will clear with the supercharger? I think it sits a little higher up but I could be mistaken!
Old 09-29-2011, 06:50 AM

You're right. I did cut one of the supports, but I didn't do it until the 'hood' was welded on the hood--less chance of moving/warping. I'll post another pic after I get it back from the body/paint shop. I don't think I'll have to cut anything else, but if I do, it won't effect the top side of the hood. I'll wait until I have the SC in place.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:08 PM

soo capin i havent seen any pics of that hood yet, sup?
Old 10-05-2011, 04:46 PM

The body shop still has it--some shops will promise anything to get the job; I'll post when I get it, maybe yet this week. I'm anxious to get a few miles on this thing to shake it down and especially see if the resistor fix is good for the long haul. I've been looking for the best deal on the SC; it looks like about $4k for the injector changes and SC. Later.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:15 AM

i hear ya some people will make big promises and never come through. hopefully it will be worth the wait.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:04 PM

How much of the alternator bracket did you cut or grind down? About half?

Thank you,

Navy

Quick Reply: Toyota Motorhome 3.0 Swap