3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

Are these prices outrageous or what?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 01:01 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Since the timing belt and assorted goodies are all new .

Since a new Radiator was installed is it hoping too much that it was pressure tested . A real easy way to tell where coolant is leaking.

Being this is a 3.0 if it ran without antifreeze got hot Head gasket popped then it went through who knows how many freeze and thaw cycles .

No telling what else may have Happened .Without looking in person .

Not as Far as I figured Be a Bit of a drive I have gone further To bring a Toyota Truck Home No comments about hauling horse From Wyoming or Texas.

I myself think going with another 3.0 at this point in time was the best move keeping things all the same.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I bought the radiator at Advance Auto so it should be ok.......

Yes, I'm going to bite the bullet and get a 3.0 engine from Japan...and get the show on the road....Everyone has laid it out for me plain and simple...I've been doing the math and I'm just going to go for it. lol This will be the first time in my life I've ever ordered anything sight unseen...lol And especially over a thousand dollars!

You think I did a good choice? I do too. Just keep rooting for me!

Trappeur

Last edited by Trappeur54; 03-11-2014 at 03:05 PM.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
you can do it trap!

if you buy online be sure to use paypal or credit card so you have options if anything happens.

also if you get a low mileage engine the timing belt change would not be due untill 70 or 90k miles iirc.. you could just install the engine and drive.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:33 AM

ok...........so you automatically do a timing belt change like you do a oil change after so many miles? hmmmm....

I just bought a little book with all the things I have to do to maintain my truck properly...so I'll add this to it...

Ok....when my truck went down, I had it at the mechanics for them to fix it...of course they couldn't so they added new things at the time to see if it would work to get the motor going and I do know that there is a spanking brand new timing belt on it with belt guides that have 0 miles on it....So is what you are saying when I get the new motor on, I have to go and install after 70 to 90 thousand miles another new timing belt? Or does the motor come with a timing belt and I now have a spare one that I can take off and put on when the time comes?

Trappeur
Old 03-12-2014, 07:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yea, recommended mileage for a timing belt is in the manual.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:52 AM

Red face

It would depend on the engine your buying .

It may need a timing belt before installing If there is any History with the engine it might tell you or not.

It needs to be looked at if it is newer your good to go If not you have all the new parts on your old engine.

Save a few dollars now.

But you are learning to ask the correct questions.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:33 AM

Red face

Have you ordered one yet or still looking?/

Is it here yet?/ Soon??
Old 03-15-2014, 07:31 AM

Smile

Hello Wyoming,

I have a 3.0 Japanese Domestic motor selected from ALN JdM Auto Motors in Texas. It came out of a running vehicle. Coming from Ebay, 1,798.00, free shipping and they will even deliver right to me at no extra charge. Their ratings were good and the reviews. It's a used factory built engine with 45 to 60,000 miles on it.
Will send them a deposit early this week. I've spoken with an Alex from the company a few times already. Then last week of the month I'll finalize payment and then they can ship out. Have to go over to the person installing today to make sure he is going to get on the installation fairly quickly so that motor doesn't just sit there till he is ready to do it. I know I have only a certain amount of time to claim anything (hopefully that wouldn't happen) if there is something faulty with it. I know when I had my furniture store when sofas came in, I could call up the company and tell them there was freight damage after the delivery truck left and they took care of it. I don't know how it works with a motor though. Supposedly the way I understand it, your supposed to check it out at time of delivery b/4 the driver leaves. Some drivers don't have the patience to stand around and wait while it is being uncrated and looked at....It's not like it is lightweight and you can just pick it up. How much does a motor typically weigh anyway??

It's one thing sending a small deposit ($100.00) to hold the motor for 2 weeks, but it will be another thing hitting the purchase/buy button and then finally hitting the "SEND MONEY" button...My fingers are already starting to sweat just thinking about it! lol....especially 1,798.00 for something used......omg....and with a company I have never dealt with, but I have to do it...bite the bullet and think positive.. I always knew I'd probably have to spend $1,500.00 give or take for a motor and the time has arrived.....Think I'll go out and wash my truck now and get in a positive mood...and get ready for the big day.

So there you go....Thanks everyone for all your help....I couldn't do the 3.4 upgrade so this was the next best thing I could do within my budget getting a factory built used low milage motor. I've learned so much here, you have no idea....but I have more questions coming! So I started here on this forum with the lowest quote from an in town mechanic for $4,700.00 up to 10,000.00 and now I'm down to 1,798.00 for a motor, 800.00 to install, buy a heavy duty clutch kit for 165, get a filter,and oil, so roughly looking at rounding it off about 2,900.00. So I've saved roughly close to 2,000.00 by searching and doing lots of legwork and homework. I've also got brand spanking new exterior parts on the truck that I can save for the future too if I don't use them.... So if anyone has any negative comments, you better keep them to yourself till I get my dang motor in, lol because I'm on a mission and roll....

Trappeur

Last edited by Trappeur54; 03-15-2014 at 02:34 PM.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:38 AM

Red face

I hear tell the engine is on the way.

Kinda like you know the mare is going to foal any day and she starts to wax.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:52 AM

Yes, she is! I can't believe I bit the bullet last night. After I filled in all the blanks and came to the "Pay" button, I sat in my seat for 5 minutes looking at the button as my fingers started to sweat saying to myself, "Am I really going to do this?, Am I really going to do this?" I've never in my life ordered anything sight unseen for a good amount of not chump change until last night.
But I did and it's no turning back now. All is good, it really is.....I hope...lol.....
Nah, I know it is...So I'll have the engine the week of April 7'th, and the mechanic can do his thing and then I'll be on my way.

Trappeur

Last edited by Trappeur54; 03-29-2014 at 11:54 AM.