3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

Starting my 3.4 engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 09:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah I just figured one less thing to swap wiring wise. Espewcially since the alternator practically bolted right up. I will keep the 3.4 alt around for a spare too anyways.
I haven't felt down about the swap at all. But I also haven't started any of the wiring yet. haha. The end result had better be worth it. I sure hope I like this thing. I've never even driven a 4runner. Haha
I'm thinking I might head over to NAPA auto parts today to buy a battery for it. They have 25% off anything you can fit in a 5 gallon bucket and so that brings an Optima down to like a bit less than $150. I think he said that was the out the door price too. I think that sounded like a pretty good deal? Oh and the sale is only good through today if anybody else is wanting anything.
Old 05-23-2010, 01:41 PM

Hmm I was quoted for a red top not the yellow top that I wanted, and I don't really want to spend $60 more for the yellow top. Is the yellow top worth the additional money or would I be fine with the redtop? I think I would be fine with the redtop as that's what I had in my baja with a nice stereo and it definitely went through its fare share of off road trips and jumps without a hiccup. It came in the car when I bought it and I had it for 3 years too. So what do the experts think on this?
Old 05-23-2010, 01:52 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
yellow is a deep cycle... the reds lose 20% capacity if they get depleated all the way . The yellows do not.
Old 05-23-2010, 01:58 PM

Yeah but what kind of a situation would you be in where you would drain your battery all the way to dead unless you were using it for a trolling motor? I guess when I was younger I had an alternator go bad that fried my battery but I don't really see where the yellow top would be needed?
Old 05-23-2010, 02:06 PM
totally a bro
Staff

well when you get a winch and aux. lights and running plugs to the back for camping then its something to consider.
Old 05-23-2010, 02:07 PM

Yeah that makes sense for sure. I will just wait and get the yellow top.
Old 05-23-2010, 03:36 PM

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts
costco has the yellow tops for a decent price. Worth a shot.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:27 PM

Been too busy to do much work lately but I went to autozone and after talking with the manager for a little bit I got the yellow top optima for $158 out the door.
I got my power steering hooked up along with the alternator and fuel line. Im trying to figure out the best place to run the wires for the transmission and the o2 sensors to keep them away from the exhaust.
Oh I helped my friend pick up a 2nd gen 4runner for himself today too. He traded his jeep grand cherokee for it. Not running quite right probably the head gaskets. haha.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:40 PM
totally a bro
Staff

i pulled the transmission wires from my 3.0 harness and ran them seperately to the ecu. Then i extended the o2 wires to fit.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:42 PM

Why did you need to extend the O2 wires? It seams like they are plenty long. Does your harness for the transmission and O2 sensors come out of the front drivers side of the engine?
Old 05-28-2010, 09:46 PM
totally a bro
Staff

if you properly tuck the o2 wires away from the heat they aren't long enough. you need to extend atleast the rear sensor. Yep mine sits in the same spot.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:48 PM

Where is the best place to run them? I don't think I have found it yet but I keep getting distracted when I'm under there.
Old 05-30-2010, 04:44 AM

So my 4runner is a 91 with a manual speedometer cable. The 2000 Tacoma is electric. What do you do about that? I'm assuming you just cap the electric wire since I haven't heard of people switching their speedometers to electric but then how does the ecu receive its speed input?
Old 05-30-2010, 05:49 AM

Also the transmission from the 3.4 as well as the harness has three plugs on it and the 3.0 transmission only has two plugs. My old 3.0 harness actually has the electric speedometer plug and wire so I spent some more time looking for a plug with no luck. The plug on the 3.0 harness did have dirt in it though so I'm assuming it wasn't used in my year and model of toyota
Old 05-30-2010, 04:41 PM

So should I convert to an electronic speedometer or what are you supposed to do? Anybody know? Both the 93's in the driveway have electric speedometers but the 91 is manual.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:43 PM

My 90 has the manual cable. The vehicle speed sensor at least on mine, is up in the gauge cluster. So there is a wire for it in either the ih1 or ih2 plugs. That wire is what goes to the ecu.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:59 PM

Hmm I'm seeing a speed sensor wire that goes from the combination meter to the cruise control ecu. Looks like it should be green and light blue. I would think that would be for the speed sensor but I'm just starting looking at the wiring diagrams.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:52 AM

So after spending way too many hours over a few days trying to figure out why I couldn't find my correct wiring connectors in all of the wiring diagrams that I downloaded and printed for my 2000 Tacoma I finally just found it and it is for a 2001 Tacoma. Well that has been fun now why does my 2000 tacoma have a wire harness or at least part of a wire harness from a 2001? I hae the whole truck here so I know its a 2000. So do I have to go and sign back onto TIS again or will this one be good enough? http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/2003/index.html
I kinda have a feeling that I already know what you guys are going to say.
Well on another topic I got my 4runner rear axle modified to fit my elocker. Its all ready to be installed back into the 4runner now with my panhard drop bracket and land cruiser coils that I got the other day. I just figured I would buy all new seals and bearings while I had the axle shafts out. I can get the housing in without them obviously but I just have to figure out if I can get the bearings off without a press as they are on there pretty good. Probably going to have to wait for a shop to open to press them out though.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:07 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
On my 97 the speed sensors were on the spindles for the ABS, went to the cruise, then to the speedo, and then to the ECM.

Since I didnt use the ABS(of course) and I didnt use any cruise components, I simply added a sensor the rear of the transfer case that came from my original 92 case. I then wired that tho the plugs in the pass kick panel. I documented it all in my thread.

The speed sensor itself is not in the dash. The wiring runs from the sensor, to the speedo, then to the ECM.

All this is for the 97 RUnner. DOnt know about how that would be different to a 2000-2001. Just adding it in there.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:50 PM

So does anybody have a diagram for a 2001 Tacoma that they can send me? It looks like the general one is for a 2003 and it doesn't look like it is going to work. And the diagram that I downloaded from tis doesn't even show the right IK2 connector.

Also I was just labeling out my harness on the 91 4runner side getting ready to repin or splice it in and on my IH1 connector in position 7 I have a blue and black wire that i can't find in the diagrams. Anybody know where this goes?

I got my fj80 springs installed the other day along with my elocker third member and got my axle housing all back up and ready to slide in the axles once I get my bearings and seals changed. I also picked up some manual hubs and a front ifs axle to shove under it that doesn't have the add crap attached to the tube along with some manual hubs.

Thanks a lot in advanced.
Jordan

Quick Reply: Starting my 3.4 engine swap