3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

daily driver 3.4 swap new to the EFI swap world.

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
welp... i didnt get it in tonight... but did get it close.... time just wasnt on my side. got all the stuff swapped over that i can think of for now and got the exhaust crossover fabbed up. gonna finish welding it tomorrow.

changed the oil pressure sensor over.

swapped the 3.0 AC compressor "mandifold" on the 3.4 compressor.

scott helping to cut the flanges off of the exhaust as we fabbed it up

got it cut off without hurting the tube.

i grinded the weld on the tube as best i could and hit the pipe with a hammer till the rest of it broke off the flange.

test fitting the pipes to see where to cut and all that good stuff.

im not sure how i ended up with the pipe being too short. ill put a spacer peice of pipe here. i moved the flange as close to the engine as i could get away with. hopefully it will clear everything.

got it all tacked up. gonna finish welding it tomorrow.

tomorrow will be the day the 3.4 sits in the truck. hopefully everything will go smoothly and the wiring wont be much trouble.
Old 12-25-2010, 01:32 PM

man i just love people that work behind parts store counters. they seem to always get the right part. NOT... so today is christmas day and since my family basically had christmas early to spend time with my younger brother who is in from combat in iraq and stuff.. this weekend was gonna be the weekend i drop the 3.4 in the truck and hopefully get it close to running. well its looking more and more grim. the throwout bearing that i got from the parts store is not the right one so right now the project is dead in the water till tomorrow. oh well. here is what i got done today.

got the exhaust finish welded up.

turns out that i didnt have the right bolts to bolt the flywheel onto the 3.4 i had the fly wheel bolts out of the 3.0 that was too long to work and the flexplate bolts from the 3.4 that was too short. so we just cut the longer bolts to fit. "DISCLAIMER" i dont advise anyone else to do this to their truck. but i feel that it will work right and thats what i did in a crunch.

measure propper length. screw on a nut to the right length.. cut excess off and then screw the bolt off.. then grind the edges to fit

longer bolt is the 3.0 flywheel bolt.. short one is after we cut it.

did what another guy on this forum did and rotated the high pressure line to point off the right side and moved the low pressure line while the engine was out of the truck.

and this is how the truck is sitting right now.. engine is ready to go in. ill try to get the right throwout bearing tomorrow and get this engine set in the truck.
Old 12-25-2010, 01:41 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
I was hoping to work on mine this Christmas but ain't going to happen.

Looking good.

:wabbit2:
Old 12-26-2010, 02:01 PM

okay so i called a few parts stores about the throwout bearing. and the only one that could tell me any info was napa. i had them cross reference the throwout bearing that i got the other day and it is supposed to be the one for my application. so i went back out to put it on and make it work. i took some pictures to compare it and see.

the dirty one is the one i pulled out of the trans. it looks different but i guess its a new version or something

then i started putting the engine in the truck. had to get some help to get it stabbed. man its a really tight fit in there.

almost in. had to pull it back out and make sure i had the clutch centered. it didnt wanna go in place at first.

looks like ill need to cut a hole in the hood and build a cowl hood scoop. id rather do that than put a body lift on the truck.

fits like a glove.

its really cold outside as of right now so ill try to start on the wiring and other things this week and this next weekend.. i hope i can get this thing running soon.
Old 12-26-2010, 03:28 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
1" body lift with new energy suspension body mount bushings for me. Cutting the hood makes it "wave" too much.

So did they give you the wrong TOB? I just bought all Toyota parts to save the hassle and I get then just as cheap with my discount.

:wabbit2:
Old 12-26-2010, 03:33 PM

heh... i called toyota and just the flywheel alone was more expensive than what i payed for the whole setup from the parts store. im not sure that they gave me the wrong throwout bearing or what. it seems to fit... ill find out once i get it running i guess haha. if i cut the hood im gonna try to find or make a sheet metal cowl hood scoop to put on there... hopefully it will stiffen the hood up some.... i dont wanna put a body lift on the truck if i dont have to. once i get it running im gonna save up for a sas and i want it as low as possible on 35s. but we will see.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:34 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Is it just me or does that seem rather high in the engine bay. They sit higher than the 3.0, but that seems much higher than I remember mine being. Maybe its just leaning forward cause it to raise up since the trans isnt in there? Or perhaps a photo illusion?

You swapped the mounts correctly right?

Also, I completely understand trying to save a few bucks by cutting and then reusing those flywheel bolts. However, I believe that those are "torque to yield " bolts and reusing them would be a potential disaster. Call me and old lady but I would, and did, pay a few bucks and replace them. Part number for the flywheel bolts - 90105-10138 (8)

Last edited by dntsdad; 12-26-2010 at 07:48 PM.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:19 PM

yeah i swapped the mounts over... the engine is bolted up to the trans and the motor mounts. i guess because i dont have a body lift it looks like its sitting high
Old 12-28-2010, 06:10 PM

okay... so how many people have done this swap and right after the engine goes in and gets bolted to the trans and motor mounts step back and go WHOAH... this is kinda overwhelming? well that happened to me. so i took a step back and just started doing one thing at a time. its slowly coming together. i've got alot more stuff to figure out. so far everything ive messed with has connected back up prety much except the throttle cable (which ill get from the 4runner)

i just wanna say thanks for the smart folks on this site for puttin the info out there for others to learn and try to work on their own trucks. i really am glad i stumbled across this place when my engine blew in my truck. so thanks yall... and i hope to get this thing figured out pretty soon and drive my yota again
Old 12-28-2010, 08:25 PM

Man I hear you. I remember when I was working on mine and before I had even got to the wiring, and I was sitting there looking at it thinking "Damn I hope I am not in over my head"

It all seemed so simple when reading the dozens of threads but when its you and the truck and you realize that every little thing that was left out of the threads is still there to do...............

Dont worry you'll get it, cause really............you HAVE to now. I snowboarded for the first time last weekend and my buddy said "screw that practice hill. Just go to the dang top and you'll get down.........cause you have to. They aint sending a helicopter up to get you on the ski run." He was right. Same principle applies, you aint going to burn the thing if you get stuck, it just may take longer to figure out.

You thread has inspired me to try my own crossover. From your pics and another few threads it doesnt look that hard. I'll just have to fit mine with the motor in rather than out, which may be an advantage...........i dont know. Who knows though, maybe I destroy it and end up buying one anyways.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:59 PM

haha thanks man i totally agree... im doing this swap now because i HAVE to... and it sure aint easy. im really pleased with my crossover pipe sofar.. it fit perfectly and even where it exits the truck looks like it was done that way from the factory.

okay so i got on the TIS and started saving files and printing as much stuff as i could off. started trying to figure out what goes what and to where. hopefully right now im figuring this thing out. but its really alot of stuff haha.

part of the body harness on the 96 4runner

another body harness plug for the 96 4runner.

after an afternoon of tryin to figure out what each wire does.

only problem is my truck is 1 year too old for TIS. i tried to use the 90 truck diagrams but they dont all match up like i thought it would. so its gonna be slow go.

tried to locate a 97 manual ECM and wiring harness plugs but every place i called didnt wanna be helpful so i guess this ECM has to work.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:11 PM

just a short update. ive been trying to get the wiring harness figured out and not having much luck on it. i think im over thinking it. i think i got the 96 body harness plugs figured out. having trouble with the plugs for the 89. so im still pluckin away at it
Old 01-01-2011, 03:05 PM

dntsdad, thought of ya while i was weldin the exhaust up some and wanted to show ya how the crossover actually fits comin out of the botom... it fits like a glove if you line it up right.

its a little close to one of the heat sheilds.. ill clearence it soon.

with the down pipe bolted up.

i welded the front O2 sensor onto the down pipe.. cleared everything fine. im curious, how many people run the CAT. i dont have to worry about emmisions so im wanting to do without the CAT but i dont want to have problems cause of the 2nd O2 sensor....

im gonna finish the mechanical part of this swap this weekend.. i dont have much left and then get back onto the wiring. hopefully it will clear my head some so i can get it done.. i cant wait to drive this truck. its gonna be fun.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:22 PM

Ya mine seems to fit pretty well also. I had removed the heat shield a while back so that was done already. My o2 sensor is close to the torsion bar since I am still IFS but I think that its going to work and I didnt have to move it from the factory location which is what I wanted......for it to look stock.

I have to say that I am a bit concerned about the wire loom coming through there. There doesn't appear to be a good place to run it and have it protected from the heat of the exhaust. When I actually have the transmission in I will need to make or reuse some mounting tabs to keep it tight to the tranny and possibly make/buy some heat shielding.

Too hungover to do anything today.........and probably tomorrow also. Rented the first few seasons of Sons of Anarchy and laying on the recovery table (couch) all day today.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:42 PM

wow dude... after reading your thread... im SOOO glad i dont live in cali. i dont have to worry about any emmisions systems and all the headaches that goes with it. i just need to get off my lazy tail and figure the little bit of wiring out to get my truck running.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:10 PM

aight so i went back reading through a couple great threads. elvotas thread has been alot of help for me and reading his thread over again answered my question about the 2nd O2 sensor, so im gonna do that trick when the time comes.

i went back to the dash of the 4runner and tore it out of there and got the OBD2 plug out of there. and looked for the AC amp but didnt really see it in there. ill go back and try to find it sometime this week.... been tryin to tie in the wiring harness together right now.

got 2 questions about it right now that i can think of... well maybe 3.

1) im not really understanding the neutral saftey switch and how to make it read N so i can crank the truck. can anyone help me on that?

2) ive seen some stuff about the open circut relay but aint seing it on my stuff. is that something extra i gotta run?

thats about all i got goin on in my brain for right now with what im trying to look at.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The space for that crossover is damn tight! Mine ended up about 1/4" too far towards the frame rail, so I had to grind it up and wedge a pickle fork in there to get it to move over a bit... Nice job getting yours to line up.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:32 PM

thanks.. i was worried about it kinda.. i just tucked it up as close to the engine as i could stand.. i was worried that it would contact the trans. but some how i made it perfect.. cant believe it.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:19 PM

I put the wiring up over my rear heater lines and a heat shield that is mounted right there. seems to keep everything away pretty good.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:18 PM

Hanish

no to steal this thread but you have pics of your wire harness coming through?

Quick Reply: daily driver 3.4 swap new to the EFI swap world.