3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

93NMyotas 3.4 swap, recommendations please!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 08:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
93NMyotas 3.4 swap, recommendations please!

Hey everyone, after reading about all these successful 3.4 swaps I’ve gained inspiration to do my own into my great (although underpowered) 1993 4runner v6. Many members on here seem very knowledgeable and I would appreciate any input or thoughts on my swap.

After doing a month or two worth of researching and tracking down parts heres what I ended up with.

The donor: 2000 4runner A/T 4wd, 3.4 TRD supercharged

I also found this while pulling the harness this weekend:

The recipient: 1993 4runner M/T 4wd, 3.0

Sorry no pics on my computer of this but its in great shape!

I have the complete 3.0 so all parts and mounts needed I should have.

My budget is about $2000 not including the paid for donor vehicle. The only issue with the donor vehicle is that it was rolled over and that caused the supercharger to be snapped off by the bolts holding it to the intake. No major damage was done to the supercharger just the broken bolts and minor scratches. I got a great deal on it, so I hope its worth it! The bad part is I have to either drill out the intake (if its possible) or replace it and get new bolts. The previous owner said it ran until his son rolled it, but I wasn’t able to verify and its been sitting with the intake uncovered but the hood on the vehicle for about 8 months. Because of this I feel safer tearing it down and putting it back together (with new gaskets) for inspection and peace of mind.

Part of the $2000 has to be spent on:

1) Supercharger - intake issue
2) New gaskets, a friend has a genuine Toyota set for $250
3) Timing belt, water pump, plugs, wires, etc…
4) Missing power steering pump
5) Exhaust
6) Manual ecu??

Ok now the questions:

1) What to do with the exhaust and what will work best for the supercharger and my budget? Headers are my first choice but I cant seem to find any.
2) Should I buy a manual transmission ecu and plugs or use the one on the vehicle. I have heard, but im not sure it would affect me in this case (or if its even true), that the 2000 has a transponder key that is needed to start it and I don’t have it. I don’t know if this system is embedded to the ecu or on the vehicle itself. Also will the URD kit work with another ecu?
Here is a link to this part:
http://www.urdusa.com/Fuel-Upgrades-...duct_info.html

3) I did some research and found out the URD has a fuel pump upgrade, will it work on the 93?

Recommendations on any of this? Anything im missing or other things to consider? Thanks in advance everyone!!
Old 11-07-2011, 03:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i'll share what i know, wont take long. lol !! i'm looking for headers for my swap, too. heard trail gear might be working on headers. other than that toy only swaps can help with stock manifold crossover pipe and wiring harness. they have been helpfull and freely share information when i call. i think limiteds have the transponder key. mine did'nt. i ran vin numbers at a toyota dealership. mine is an sr5. i wish i could have found a complete donor car. makes things way easier. i have a 2000 4runner engine too. i am gonna go with the auto trans instead of my 5spd, and bought a supercharger to install after it is running. the fuel pump upgrade is a higher volume fuel pump in the gas tank. and the urd piggyback computer will be wired in to whatever ecu, wiring harness you use. you can call urd for more information. by the way i am looking for an auto shifter. let me know. good luck with your build.

Last edited by donomite49; 11-08-2011 at 02:32 PM.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:44 PM

This swap is in the near future for me. From all the reading I've been doing, you're best bet would be the 7th injector kit urd supplies. With the supercharger, you should focus more on the fuel delivery rather than the headers. I'll be be throwing an s/c and the 7th kit in mine for sure. I'm on the fence with the headers..

Good luck with everything!! I'm looking forward to hear how it goes!!
Old 11-27-2011, 05:16 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 93NMyota
Ok now the questions:
1) What to do with the exhaust and what will work best for the supercharger and my budget? Headers are my first choice but I cant seem to find any.

2) Should I buy a manual transmission ecu and plugs or use the one on the vehicle. I have heard, but im not sure it would affect me in this case (or if its even true), that the 2000 has a transponder key that is needed to start it and I don’t have it. I don’t know if this system is embedded to the ecu or on the vehicle itself. Also will the URD kit work with another ecu?
Here is a link to this part:http://www.urdusa.com/Fuel-Upgrades-...duct_info.html

3) I did some research and found out the URD has a fuel pump upgrade, will it work on the 93?

Recommendations on any of this? Anything im missing or other things to consider? Thanks in advance everyone!!
1. Downey made headers for this motor. There are others I've seen online but pricey. I found a NIB set for $250

2. Use the MT out of your 93. You need to read the FAQ and more build threads as all this info is out there.

3. Adding the SC complicates things a tad but it is still the 3.4 motor that you are going to have to graft into the 93 body harness and system. You will probably have to make it work.

My question to you? What the heck is up with using that weird white font? It's a PITA to read and probably has limited your responses.

:wabbit2:
Old 11-27-2011, 05:53 AM

Ok now the questions:

Here is a link to this part:

http://www.urdusa.com/Fuel-Upgrades-...duct_info.html

#1 - Downey

#2 - The transponder is knda built into the ecu - what I mean by that is there is a seperate transponder ecu, but the engine ecu will not start if it does not see the transponder ecu and it is getting the correct code from it (from the correct key in the ignition) The good part about this is that the manual transmission equipped runners of that year had the same plugs on the ecu/harness as the auto ones. So you can get a manual trans ecu for a 2000 runner without transponder (b/c that was an option also) and it should work great, you will just have to cut and splice a few wires for the b/u lights.

As far as the urd working with a different ecu, I would venture to guess that it would, but I have never messed with them before so I dont know for sure. Shoot them an email with what you have and what your doing and I'm sure that will help you out.

#3 - Again, call URD and ask them, but the fuel pumps over the years haven't changed much.

Last edited by jasond; 11-27-2011 at 06:40 AM.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:59 AM

Smile progress

Originally Posted by jasond
#1 - Downey

#2 - The transponder is knda built into the ecu - what I mean by that is there is a seperate transponder ecu, but the engine ecu will not start if it does not see the transponder ecu and it is getting the correct code from it (from the correct key in the ignition) The good part about this is that the manual transmission equipped runners of that year had the same plugs on the ecu/harness as the auto ones. So you can get a manual trans ecu for a 2000 runner without transponder (b/c that was an option also) and it should work great, you will just have to cut and splice a few wires for the b/u lights.
Thanks for the replies everyone keep em coming as I'm getting closer to making this finally happen! So you would recommend using a 2000 manual ecu for this setup? Im looking to buy one asap lets see what I can find I sure hope i can find a 2000, if the plugs are the same this will save me a lot of work!! Anyone have one for sale?

The engine has been pulled:

Im currently replacing all the gaskets and drilling the oilpan, this thing was well maintained it looks clean inside especially for having 120k miles! Crossover pipe has been sent in to TOS to be modified and this week I'm beginning to work on the wiring, finally here is a pic of the recipient:

What are you guys using for the clutch?
Old 01-17-2012, 05:11 PM

Anyone? whats a good, affordable clutch so use? looking to buy asap, also looking for a flywheel, thanks!
Old 01-17-2012, 05:25 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
I used the stock Aisin for a 3.4 I sell on all the ones I've done. Really no need for anything else on something that is going to be driven on the road.

:wabbit2:
Old 01-17-2012, 05:41 PM

How much? Good even with the supercharger and URD kit? this thing will go off road occasionally and I'm not too rough on the clutch
Old 01-20-2012, 07:51 AM

Finally got the rebuild done and just about ready to install:

I need a couple parts, both of which was broken on the donors roll over. First is the Supercharger bypass valve actuator, the dealer cannot get this piece. The second is the fuel pressure regulator, it sits on the back of the fuel rail. Let me know if anyone has these parts, thanks!!
Old 02-05-2012, 07:23 AM

vsv needed?

Ok I got it in!

I was fabbing the brackets for the evaporative emissions box thingie that sits in the driver side inner fender well when i noticed it was cracked pretty badly. Do you need to run this? Where i live they do not check emissions for registration so thats not a big deal. If i don't use it will i have check engine light on? If i can bypass it how do i do that? Im a little unclear on how it works exactly. Thanks everyone in advance for any input!
Old 02-05-2012, 10:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
you can run the stock vap can with the 3.4 vsv. here is the link to the diagram https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f160...5/index31.html on page 31. from the ors instructions..
Old 02-08-2012, 06:44 AM

Nice, thanks I have one question on that diagram, which is purge port on the throttle body? are those the two capped off vacuum lines on top of the throttle body? if so which one or does it matter? Am I the only one that seems to be using vacuum hose reducers and size adapters for most of the lines to convert for use with the factory can? Sorry all these vacuums, vsv's, and evap stuff is one of the only things on this swap i don't completely understand.. Once i get this done and solder in the URD i should be ready to fire it up! Hopefully today or tomorrow, Thanks in advance again guys!
Old 02-08-2012, 02:38 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice, thanks I have one question on that diagram, which is purge port on the throttle body? are those the two capped off vacuum lines on top of the throttle body? if so which one or does it matter? Am I the only one that seems to be using vacuum hose reducers and size adapters for most of the lines to convert for use with the factory can? Sorry all these vacuums, vsv's, and evap stuff is one of the only things on this swap i don't completely understand.. Once i get this done and solder in the URD i should be ready to fire it up! Hopefully today or tomorrow, Thanks in advance again guys!
I cant answer the tb question but I was wondering as well. I had to reduce the vac hoses too.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:09 PM

Hey nm93yota ive been doing my home work for a while for the 3.4 swap I've got an 89 extracab and a complete 2000rebuild 4 runner donor, saw were you lived so I regiteted to become a member maybe I could pick your brain or meet up to check out your progress. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:40 PM

Hey 93NMyota,

I saw your for sale thread, so I did some searching to see if you had a thread on your swap... and here I am.

I was second in line to buy that truck (the donor), assuming it's the same one I'm thinking of.. Was this the one that was for sale in Pojaque a few months back... the guy was asking $500 for it on C-list? If so, that's crazy to see you on this board with it... it's cool to see what happened to it and read some of the backstory. Also glad to see it's being put to good use. I knew someone scored a pretty good deal on that truck w/the S/C and all.

I need a couple parts, both of which was broken on the donors roll over. First is the Supercharger bypass valve actuator, the dealer cannot get this piece. The second is the fuel pressure regulator, it sits on the back of the fuel rail. Let me know if anyone has these parts, thanks!!
You can get the S/C bypass valve from LC Engineering... they sell it for $75.

Check it out >>> http://www.lceperformance.com/Superc...-p/7010128.htm
Old 02-09-2012, 05:54 AM

Well its finally running! Fired up after just cranking over about 10 seconds, Sounds real good now just to take it for the exhaust today! Thank you all for your help!
Old 02-09-2012, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by bend
I cant answer the tb question but I was wondering as well. I had to reduce the vac hoses too.
The purge valve actually moves from the top of the intake manifold right next to the throttle body, to the vaccum line on the driver side right next to where the brake booster connects to the supercharger.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by northern 3.4
Hey nm93yota ive been doing my home work for a while for the 3.4 swap I've got an 89 extracab and a complete 2000rebuild 4 runner donor, saw were you lived so I regiteted to become a member maybe I could pick your brain or meet up to check out your progress. Thanks in advance.
Nice man, sounds like you already started by having the donor it really isn't that bad, but if i had to do it again it would probably take about half the time lol. PM me your info id be glad to help, I also have a few parts left over, Thanks
Old 02-09-2012, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by BigFishAllDay
Hey 93NMyota,

I saw your for sale thread, so I did some searching to see if you had a thread on your swap... and here I am.

I was second in line to buy that truck (the donor), assuming it's the same one I'm thinking of.. Was this the one that was for sale in Pojaque a few months back... the guy was asking $500 for it on C-list? If so, that's crazy to see you on this board with it... it's cool to see what happened to it and read some of the backstory. Also glad to see it's being put to good use. I knew someone scored a pretty good deal on that truck w/the S/C and all.

You can get the S/C bypass valve from LC Engineering... they sell it for $75.

Check it out >>> http://www.lceperformance.com/Superc...-p/7010128.htm
Hey Bigfishallday this sure is it, smart thinking putting the dots together lol. Where ya from? Ya i risked the buy but figured it was worth it anyways, the supercharger had broke on the back and so did the intake manifold and broke all the studs too so i had to replace the manifold and had an awesome aluminum welder fix the supercharger and it stayed perfect! while it sat open all kinds of debris went down into the valves and actually jammed it open, I'm so glad i tore it down before putting it together, there was also about 1/2 a quart of oil in each cylinder from it being rolled. I went through the entire thing and put new bearings, and gaskets to ensure its fine and finally got it assembled and installed. It sounds real smooth and runs great. thanks for the input on the bypass valve, I actually ordered it and a supercharger oil change kit from magnusun superchargers ( the manufacturer ) its actually based on an eaton charger, but anyway they sent it to me for $40

Quick Reply: 93NMyotas 3.4 swap, recommendations please!