3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

3.4 swap pinouts? TIS help

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 08:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3.4 swap pinouts? TIS help

I have a 93' m/t that had a 3.0/It will be getting a 00' 4 runner m/t 3.4- I bought a subscription to TIS and cant seem to find the pinouts for the ECU. So that I can splice and solder into the two body plugs on the 93'. Dose anyone know how to find them on there or is there somewhere else I can find them.
Old 05-18-2014, 02:48 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Just curious going into this swap why you did not get the hard copy EWD`s

Doing the prep work for my swap That is what I did much easier than anything on line as your going to still need them down the road.

So Yes you can find what you need that way.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:03 AM

Where did you purchase them from ?
Old 05-19-2014, 05:40 AM

I got mine from TIS. It was everything I needed.
Old 05-19-2014, 02:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The diagrams on TIS are the same as what is printed out, but instead of buying a book, you bought access time on the TIS server to download PDFs of the same data, physical medium is personal choice.

There's no true pin out chart or listing of pin number vs function, you're going to need to study and memorize the diagrams and generate that list for yourself.

What you're looking for is the 5VZ-FE Engine Control section (this will have 90-95% of everything you'll need, but NOT everything), then in that section there will be a large box that's spread across 2-3 pages that's labeled something like "Engine Control Module" or "Engine Control Unit," that's your ECU. From there there are small circles with a letter and number near them, those are the connectors (the circle with the letter is the connector, the number is the pin in the connector).

Check out the video in the 3.4 Swap 101 thread that's stickied at the top for a decent overview of how to read the EWDs.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:14 PM

Wyoming-I walked into the dealership and asked to browse through the EWD's for both years. I then found the ECU section along with power source, starting/ignition, and charging. Had then photo copy every page I needed for free! Looking over them I was still confused, so I went ahead and bought the 2 day subscription to TIS and came across the same info. Saved them as PDF's.

SacRunner-Thank you for helping me understand how to read the dam things! I now have the body plugs from the 3.4 ECU labeled, but am having a hard time finding the layout of the two 3.0 body plugs that come off the engine harness and plug into the body.Why didn't Toyota make it easy like the 3.4 is to read! My truck is a 93' 4x4 m/t/3.0- I cut the two body plugs off the engine harness. any idea on the name of these 2 plugs?, they will plug back into there original location but I need to find out which wires are which so I can match them with the 3.4 body wires. ANY help is appreciated. Thanks
Old 05-19-2014, 05:18 PM

I want to say mine were IH1 and IH2. For my 93 pickup 3.0 manual.
Just have to learn how to read diagrams like we all did unless you already know how.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:58 AM

IH1 and IH2 sounds correct.

Those connectors are in an odd place in the EWD. I don't have a copy with me, but I think they were in the General -> Power Source (maybe?) -> connectors PDF, then look for the connector that looks the same, write down those connector numbers, then you'll likely need to search (CTL+F) through all the PDFs for those connectors and write down the pins and functions (they are literally scattered throughout nearly every section of the entire EWD, or so it seemed)
Old 05-20-2014, 05:38 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SacRunner
The diagrams on TIS are the same as what is printed out, but instead of buying a book, you bought access time on the TIS server to download PDFs of the same data, physical medium is personal choice.

There's no true pin out chart or listing of pin number vs function, you're going to need to study and memorize the diagrams and generate that list for yourself.

What you're looking for is the 5VZ-FE Engine Control section (this will have 90-95% of everything you'll need, but NOT everything), then in that section there will be a large box that's spread across 2-3 pages that's labeled something like "Engine Control Module" or "Engine Control Unit," that's your ECU. From there there are small circles with a letter and number near them, those are the connectors (the circle with the letter is the connector, the number is the pin in the connector).

Check out the video in the 3.4 Swap 101 thread that's stickied at the top for a decent overview of how to read the EWDs.
Decent?
Old 05-20-2014, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by dntsdad
Decent?
ha ha ha, well, it has been a couple years since I watched it, so I'll keep with the vague "decent" although it was exactly what I needed to make sense of the Toyota naming convention.

Old 05-21-2014, 06:16 AM

So looks like the plugs are C1 and C2 in my connector diagram. Ive found wires that lead to C1 on a couple different pages but cant find C2. I'll have to look again seems how it was 12:00 last night when i was trying to do this
Old 05-21-2014, 03:26 PM

I found that occasionally when doing a search in Adobe Reader I'd have to add a space between the letter and the number, but not always; so sometimes I'd have to search for "C1" then an additional search for "C 1" would reveal some others.
Old 05-21-2014, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by NWLS
So looks like the plugs are C1 and C2 in my connector diagram. Ive found wires that lead to C1 on a couple different pages but cant find C2. I'll have to look again seems how it was 12:00 last night when i was trying to do this
I believe that's what I found when I first started. My plugs looked like C1 and C2 in the pictures, but in the wiring they were IH1 and IH2.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:45 PM

Im having a hell of a time finding the wires, let alone the white plug "C2" Its werid.. My diagram is set up opposite of the truck. C1 is actually C2, so ive located the gray plug which is actually "C2" wires and am still searching for which would be C1 the white plug. Any ideas.....? Ive found one wire to it and its for the Elec. Tranny. Control.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by JasonYota
I believe that's what I found when I first started. My plugs looked like C1 and C2 in the pictures, but in the wiring they were IH1 and IH2.
Tried this?
Old 05-22-2014, 05:24 AM

Yes, ive searched each page of the EWD looking for any plug that has the colored wires in this plug. Think I might go into the Toyota dealership and look through the EWD book today
Old 05-22-2014, 01:25 PM

okay so I found the plug and the wires I was looking for. I didn't download the entire FSM off TIS but I went into the dealer and searched there EWD book and found them under A/C, Combination Meter, Rear Wheel ABS, 4wd, and back up light diagrams. This is the first swap ive ever done, let alone work on a 3.4.............I came from a first gen 22r to working on this 93, 3.4 swap so there's a lot of learning involved. Anyways its starting to make sense and im double checking my wires and where they lead before I break out the soldering gun. Sent my crossover to Toy Only Swaps this morning so it should be back mid week and hopefully bolt it on and turn the key!!!
Old 05-22-2014, 03:18 PM

Only wire I cannot find is the Black/Orange on the white 3.0 body plug. Again its a 93' M/t 4x4 3.0- Any ideas on what it is?
Old 05-22-2014, 03:25 PM

Possibly the "+12V for backup switch on M/T - Vehicle_Exterior\backup.pdf" the only B-O wire from my notes
Old 05-22-2014, 04:11 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
If its electric speedo it can also be for the sending unit from the trans.

Quick Reply: 3.4 swap pinouts? TIS help