Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

When to switch to Amsoil?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2002, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question When to switch to Amsoil?

I just purchased my truck and have only 300 miles on it. I am wondering when the best time to switch to Amsoil motor oil would be. Should I do it when it's due for the first oil change, or should I let the truck get more miles on it first?

Any thoughts?
Old 09-25-2002, 09:42 AM

i thought i read somewhere that you need to let the engine "break in" before switching. Maybe they said 5k miles. Not sure where I read it though.
Old 09-25-2002, 09:57 AM

I think that you may be right, I just don't remember that "magic" number either. I guess it would not be a bad idea to get a few regular oil changes in and then switch over to the "good stuff".
Old 09-25-2002, 08:15 PM

Yes, let the motor break in with the Dino oil first. All those micrscopic metal particles need the heavy oil. I don't remember at what mileage you change over (you'll have to use a motor flush first) but a few more changes with Dino won't hurt.
butnut
Old 09-26-2002, 04:55 AM

What do you mean when you are saying "Dino" oil?
Old 09-26-2002, 06:37 AM

I think amsoil also makes the engine flush also. I suppose you'd just pour that in and then let it drain, then put in the amsoil.....
Old 09-26-2002, 06:58 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally posted by cybrenergy
What do you mean when you are saying "Dino" oil?
Oil that is made up of the dead fossil remains of dinosaurs and the antediluvians.

Data, Amsoil does make an engine flush.
I had the dealer put it in and they idle the engine for awhile, then drain.

That was done the first time I switched to Amsoil.
Old 09-28-2002, 11:58 PM

Thanks Corey. Jed Clampett also called it 'Black Gold'...'Texas Tea' Sing along folks!
Old 10-02-2002, 12:31 PM

My family has been in the 'Black Gold' bidness for many years, so that whole Beverly Hillbillies song has a special place in my heart I love the smell of crude oil in the morning!
Old 10-02-2002, 05:16 PM

The AMSOIL site recommends......for a new vehicle, whenever you want......if I remember correctly. The regular 3000 mile changes.

If the auto is over 20,000 or 30,000 miles they recommend changing the AMSOIL out after it has 1000 miles, then the regular 3000 change. This helps get rid of the built-up dino sludge.

I plan on using it after the 1 free oil change from Toyota.

Jeff
Old 10-05-2002, 12:15 PM
Contributing Member

It's never too soon...

Greetings all, I am new to this forum, but 'old' to wheeling and Toyota's I saw this post and thought I would jump in.

Way back when synthetic oils first came out for consumer use, most of them did not contain the additives required to "break in" a motor, so the standard advice was to drive about 10k or so before making the switch.

Virtually all 'modern' synthetics now contain those additives, so you are safe to switch as soon as you would like. Many manufacturers now ship their new vehicles with synthetics, right from the factory.

So, were I doing it, I would run a couple of thousand miles to shake loose any products of assembly that might be roaming the engine and get them stuck in the filter. I would then swap the oil and filter for Amsoil products. 3k or so miles later, I would again swap the oil and filter out, just to get the last of the dino oil and assorted junk out. I would then go to a 5-10k changer interval, depending upon how paranoid I was. 3k is too short for a Toyota engine in good repair.

My $.02

-Rob
Old 10-05-2002, 06:06 PM

WATRD - nice looking taco. thats what i want mine to look like some day. i am getting the ARB bumper very soon (within a week and half, when my truck gets out of the shop)

i dont raelly have anything to say about oil that hasnt already been said so... ill leave it at that.
Old 10-06-2002, 12:15 AM

Any Amsoil experts here? I'm getting close to 90K. Is it still OK to run the 0-30W oil, or do I need something else. At what mileage is it recommended to stop using the 0-30W? I think they had a different grade for high mileage motors...thanks. Oh yeah, welcome aboard WATRD.
butnut
Old 10-06-2002, 07:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: When to switch to Amsoil?

Originally posted by cybrenergy
I just purchased my truck and have only 300 miles on it. I am wondering when the best time to switch to Amsoil motor oil would be. Should I do it when it's due for the first oil change, or should I let the truck get more miles on it first?

Any thoughts?

Best to wait till its broken in before swapping over to synthetics. If you go 10K before swapping, that should do it. You can switch sooner, but expect the rings to take a bit longer to seat, when they are seated, this is when mileage it as its best.
Old 10-06-2002, 10:25 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by rowan
WATRD - nice looking taco. thats what i want mine to look like some day. i am getting the ARB bumper very soon (within a week and half, when my truck gets out of the shop)

i dont raelly have anything to say about oil that hasnt already been said so... ill leave it at that.
Thanks! It has been a fun project, but one that never ends
Old 10-06-2002, 10:40 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by butnut
Any Amsoil experts here? I'm getting close to 90K. Is it still OK to run the 0-30W oil, or do I need something else. At what mileage is it recommended to stop using the 0-30W? I think they had a different grade for high mileage motors...thanks. Oh yeah, welcome aboard WATRD.
butnut
I don't think that I have earned the "expert" badge, but, in my experience and observations, unless you have an unusual amount of wear in your engine, 0W30 or 5W30 can be used for the life of your engine. My understanding of the oil for "elderly" engines, is that it is designed for the big, sloppy, American motors that wear themselves out at 100K miles. But heavens man! You own a Toyota! It's barely broken in at this point! Don't be thinking about a rocking chair for it yet

Keep in mind that if you are just switching to synthetic now from dino oil, (it's not clear in your post), you may experience some "seeping" from various seals. Synthetic has a way of finding it's way out of miniscule crevis's that were invisible to the dino stuff.

Thanks for the kind welcome
Old 10-10-2002, 09:45 AM

When my truck was new, I was concerned it seemed a little rough. At around 1K miles it settled down and then again about 5K. From my experience, I would wait until at least 5K before making the switch.