Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

Tire Rotating Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2003, 02:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by HBoss
This has been discussed on YotaTech before too, under Maintenance (which is where I'm moving this thread incidentally).
Sorry about that - I didn't search and had not remembered it being asked since I joined the board. Obviously alot of us were a little sketchy...

Two reputable tire shops here, that I asked, agree that on 4 wheel drive vehicles w/radials, they only rotate front to back but never side-to-side due to tread/tire separation or something like that.

One of these places rotate my tires for me & they are under BFG warranty so I'll just keep letting them do front to back, I guess.
The guy that I asked mentioned the tread separation thing, but I had never heard that and in the past, rotated my tires by knowing which wore the fastest and putting the the tires with the most tread there. I only employed this method when I was young and foolish - now I'm just foolish.

I think the answer in this is that we should only rotate front to back and not side to side.

Thanks for all the great posts!

Last edited by Cebby; 04-10-2003 at 02:14 PM.
Old 04-10-2003, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Cebby
Sorry about that - I didn't search and had not remembered it being asked since I joined the board. Obviously alot of us were a little sketchy...
Didn't mean it that way, Cebby. No big deal. Just meant to note that I was moving it to Maintenance.

More news for you. Another mechanic today told me that crossing radials over side-to-side may cause "radial pull". This is as it sounds. Your vehicle will tend to pull one way or another and if it is proved that this "radial pull" is due to cross-rotating your radials, the tire company may not warranty them then.

Al
Old 04-10-2003, 05:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Didn't mean it that way, Cebby.
I didn't take offense, Al. Thanks for putting it where it should be.

Thanks for the info. I'm glad I posted about it here first, cause I was going to cross-rotate last weekend. Dodged another bullet.

Ahhh, the POWER of the board!!!
Old 04-10-2003, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow. Most guys here are all very pro OEM except in this case I guess. I'm referring to what the Toyota manual states about tire rotation which was mentioned earlier.

In my experience, most tire places will move the rears straight up and kitty-corner the fronts which is ok by me. Especially since this is usually the place that warranties your tires as well!

Regards,

Warren