Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

Missing/Hesitation/Noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2003, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Missing/Hesitation/Noise

Forgive me if this ends up being a little long.
Now that my '91 3.0 4Runner is running again after having to replace the ignition coil, I've got a bad hesitation/miss, and a fairly strong noise around the upper front area of the engine.
The noise sounds something like rocks in a rock tumbler or ice in a blender. The noise does not seem to increase in intensity or frequency as the engine revs - or at least not anywhere near the same rate. I did the 'pull one plug wire at a time and see if the noise goes away' thing, but it did not change. I'm reasonably certain I don't have a (serious) problem in the rotating assembly. I did notice that the water pump was weeping a couple days last week. Bearings in the impeller?? This grinding noise does sound like it's coming from behind the timing cover.

As for the hsitation, the vehicle feels like it's running on only 5 cly off the line. Once it gets up to speed, the throttle is much more responsive and even. At least as far as the tach in the dash in concerned, the idle is dead steady. I have adjusted/tested the TPS - it's good. All ignition components, save the igniter and distributer body, are brand new. There are no trouble codes. Fuel filter is new as well. Anyone know if AutoZone will hook you up to a scanner, or is it time for a trip to the mechanic? Any thoughts? TIA.