Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

Fuel Filter Note / Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2003, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Filter Note / Question

Hey all,

I've now spoken to two different service managers at two different Toyota dealers and they both said the fuel filter on my 1997 4Runner does not require changing unless there is something clearly wrong. I.E. engine cutting out on the highway.

They both said the filters are designed to last forever. Well, not forever, but certainly a long time.

Anyone have specific confirmations or denials to this theory?

Al
Old 03-15-2003, 12:55 PM

As a follow up to my own post, I found this info:

Q: I have a 94 4X4 Truck and each 15K my dealer replaces my fuel filter. I've been told that I may not need this done as often, what do you think. Judy J.

A: The fuel filter on fuel injector engines do not need replacing at all unless some sort of contamination happened in your fuel system. Toyota has designed these to be lifetime filters so save your money. In case I was not clear all Toyota vehicles are included from Tercel to Land Cruiser.

Here:

Link
Old 03-15-2003, 05:25 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Why wait until something happens to replace it? Thats like waiting til the engine blows to replace it!!:pat: The filter will get dirty, no matter how it is designed, or ho designs it. Thats the pint of the filter. Id say replace the filter anyways, and make up your own intervals to replace them in. Better safe than sorry right?
Old 03-15-2003, 07:04 PM

Originally posted by DeathCougar
Why wait until something happens to replace it? Thats like waiting til the engine blows to replace it!!:pat: The filter will get dirty, no matter how it is designed, or ho designs it. Thats the pint of the filter. Id say replace the filter anyways, and make up your own intervals to replace them in. Better safe than sorry right?
I thought the same thing and even said the same thing to the service managers. I said "isn't the whole point of a filter to get to dirty, so stuff (i.e. engine) on the other side doesn't?" That seemed logical to me, but they both rebutted with a "I know it sounds a little strange, but it's true. We can change it for you if you like, but honestly, you should save your money."

Which is why I'm confused about it. I want to see what mine looks like after 130,000 km and then decide for myself.
Old 03-16-2003, 11:00 AM
Banned

Originally posted by HBoss
In case I was not clear all Toyota vehicles are included from Tercel to Land Cruiser.
Does that mean all years also or is that something that started recently?

Its an easy job on my carburated old junk so I do it every 2 years just for peace of mind.
Old 03-16-2003, 11:37 AM
Contributing Member

I changed mine ~ 6 months ago. I'd just rather have the peace of mind that replacing it gave me. It wasn't a difficult job at all. The only tool I had to buy for the job was a flare nut wrench.
Old 03-16-2003, 11:54 AM

Originally posted by jx94148

Its an easy job on my carburated old junk so I do it every 2 years just for peace of mind.
Not sure, that was just something I came across on that site.
Old 03-16-2003, 11:55 AM

Originally posted by mertztr
I changed mine ~ 6 months ago. I'd just rather have the peace of mind that replacing it gave me. It wasn't a difficult job at all. The only tool I had to buy for the job was a flare nut wrench.
Sounds easy enough. I think I will take mine out this spring and have a look at it.

Where's your writeup, Tom?

Al
Old 03-16-2003, 12:21 PM
Contributing Member

I know, I'm busted...:pat:

I was planning on doing a writeup, but I couldn't get any pics to go along with it at the time.
Old 03-30-2003, 08:10 AM

fuel filter

My dealer said the same thing. But it didn't make any sense to me either. My area is notorius for dirty fuel. Everybody other than Toyota around here says you should change the fuel filter every 24k. Many people around here have lost fuel pumps because they didn't head this advise, including me (although not on a Toyota product). So I changed mine the other day. I did it as part of my 95k maintenance. It was even easier than i thought it would be. Just make sure to depressurize the system first and be prepared to deal with the gas that will run out as soon as you loosen the nuts. On my 99 runner the filter was just inside the frame below the drivers door. Much easier to get to than my 91 4cyl pickup which was mounted on the engine block almost impossible to get too.

Note: To depressurize my system my haines manual said to pull a small relay (can't remember its name) out from just below the dash near the fuse panel by the drivers left leg. Then start the vehicle and let run till it stalls. Mine stalled pretty quickly. And there was no pressure behind it when I opened up the system.
Old 03-31-2003, 10:24 AM

What's wierd is that the box the fuel filter comes in (bought mine at Autozone) says to replace the filter every 10,000 miles. I replaced mine as soon as I purchased my runner @ 41k and it made a huge difference. The previous owner said the filter had never been replaced.
Old 04-01-2004, 11:37 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by TDiddy
What size flare nut wrench did you use to loosen the nuts out with? I'm going to be changing mine in the next few days and wanted to do it correctly without f'ing up the fuel line!
Old 04-01-2004, 11:45 AM
Contributing Member

umm...well, I don't remember exactly. I can try it when I get home and post again. Actually what I bought was a set of 5 wrenches, if it was just one I'd probably remember the size!
Old 04-01-2004, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by jx94148

I think this started with the 3rd gen - don't quote me on that though.
Old 04-01-2004, 08:06 PM
Nic

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...ht=fuel+filter
Old 04-03-2004, 02:06 PM

The dealer wants $30 for the Toyota fuel filter. Is there anywhere to get a Toyota Fuel Filter cheaper or should I just pay the $30 at the dealer. i really dont want an aftermarket one
Old 04-03-2004, 04:21 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Rays94runner
The dealer wants $30 for the Toyota fuel filter. Is there anywhere to get a Toyota Fuel Filter cheaper or should I just pay the $30 at the dealer. i really dont want an aftermarket one
I'd stick with the dealer... better to have piece of mind than having a rebuilt engine, right? I was lucky enough to pick up a fuel filter from a guy off the TTORA board and will install it in the next few days. Try asking on the various boards and see if anyone has an extra filter. Ya never know!

edit: try www.partznet.com they usually have pretty competitive prices

Last edited by humanoid; 04-03-2004 at 04:22 PM.
Old 04-03-2004, 05:08 PM
Contributing Member

I replaced my fuel filter at 50,000 miles. At the time, everything was still running fine, bit it IS a filter and DOES clog up, so I wanted a new one. I swapped it out with the replacement "Hastings" filter and found that the stock one was to the point that it was almost impossible to force air through it by mouth. It was just a matter of time until the truck died and I had to try to figure out why.

After changing it, the truck had a bit more "pep", so I suspect the filter was already having a bit of an effect on fuel delivery. I figure that if Toyota thinks of it as a 100,000 mile filter, then I can be pretty sure I won't have any problems on the trail if I replace it in half that.
Old 04-03-2004, 05:15 PM
Contributing Member

And for future reference, Amsoil lists the fuel filter for the 3.4, in a Hastings brand at $22.00, dealer/preferred customer cost. It's the GF219.
Old 04-16-2004, 10:52 AM

I just replaced mine last night at 63k with the second filter, the first was replaced at 15k as part of "routine maintaince". I didn't understand that either but the truck was brand new and like the blonde that I am, figured the dealer knew what they were doing. Anyways, when I got the filter off, the fuel that was left inside of the filter that had not soaked into my clothing was like muddy water. I've been using Chevron regular since new and I know it doesn't come in any other color. So yeah after 50k, it was VERY dirty. Why wouldn't you want to replace it regularly??

Quick Reply: Fuel Filter Note / Question