Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

Flooded vehicle.........

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2003, 07:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flooded vehicle.........

Well this weekend we were out 4 wheelin and we happened to flood out our Jeep. Yes I know...a jeep Well it is a Jeep ZJ otherwise known as a Grand Cherokee. We had water all in the floor boards and also when we took out the air filter it was soaked with water. We sunk in a creek, which we though was shallow until the car died. It took a while to get it cranked back up, but when we got it cranked it shot water all out of the tail pipe. Now when we drive the jeep it surges really bad and the accelleration is horrible. Does anyone have any ideas on what else to check?? Do you think I got water in the gasoline? I poured some Heet in it, but it didn't seem to help any.

Any ideas on what else to check????
Old 01-03-2003, 10:11 AM
Contributing Member

Check all of your ignition connections (ie. spark plug boots, distributor if it has one, etc) I accidentally poured coolent down one the the plug cylinders on my little car and it created a misfire. It resulted in poor acceleration, sputtering, etc.
Also check the plugs. See if one of them has fouled since the drowning.
Old 01-03-2003, 10:49 AM

update...

Ok I pulled a couple of the plugs and they are completely black. His exhaust that is coming out is also completely black. I'm going to change the plugs, oil, and the air filter also because that got soaking wet. We'll see if this solves the surging problem.

Thanks

Damn jeep :rolleyes:
Old 01-03-2003, 02:07 PM

Welp, I changed the plugs, oil, and filter. It still is surging and puffing out smoke. I think the ole jeep is due for retirement
Old 01-03-2003, 04:11 PM
Contributing Member

Lightbulb

I would try checking the rotor and distributor cap. If there is water in those than it definitely will have a problem running. I would also drain the gas tank and try some fresh gas. I think you will probably have to drop the tank. Water is more dense and will settle in the bottom of your gas tank. You will also need to replace the differential, transfer case, and transmission fluid. You most likely also got water in these. After you do this I would also suggest driving it for a while to get that old gas out of the lines and see if it runs better. Good luck.
Old 01-03-2003, 08:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The one thing you did wrong was try to start the motor after drowning it. What you should have done was pull the spark plugs, and crank it a few times. Water will shoot out of the spark plug banks. Then change the oil. Put everything back together and hope for the best. Since you cranked it with water in the engine, you probably did some damage.