Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

A/C Pulley ?, Is this bad?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 02:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A/C Pulley ?, Is this bad?

Since I have the front of my motor tore apart I was going through and checking things out that might be in need of some attention. I don't know jack about A/C systems and my pulley makes some noise when spun by hand.

See It Here

If so, what all needs to be replaced and how hard is it to do it? It looks like you can remove the one 10mm bolt in the center, but I'd like some advice first. Thanks in advance.

I also think I need a timing belt idler pulley as well.

Thanks,
Andrew
Old 03-04-2004, 02:41 PM

id replace both for sure.....

as far as the ac pulley you might wanna check to see if theres a bearing you can replace ( i dont believe its hard to do) instead of the whole assembly.......

my first stop would be the dealership(if you want oem parts of course) and see if theres a part # for just a bearing.

i know that on my taco i can replace just the bearing (cheap$$) instead of the whole pulley/mounting unit (mucho $$)
Old 03-04-2004, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by AverysDad
id replace both for sure.....

as far as the ac pulley you might wanna check to see if theres a bearing you can replace instead of the whole assembly.......
Thank you for the reply. I'll have a look into it unless maybe someone else knows if you can replace just the bearing?
Old 03-08-2004, 11:58 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Faded
Thank you for the reply. I'll have a look into it unless maybe someone else knows if you can replace just the bearing?
Usually clutch units on the a/c compressor come as one complete rebuild kit. I don't know what your compressor looks like as far as how the clutch is placed on (pressed or screw in). If it is the screw in type, I believe all you have to do is like you said take that one bolt off, and rebuilt with a new clutch unit. If the bearings are inside the compressor shaft housing...well looks like you could probably use a new compressor. Let me look at my mom's Camry repair book as I believe the compressor that they used is the same in all models...for the last years of the R-12 systems. The only difference will be the groves in the clutch and how many they are, but I believe Toyota uses the Nippo-Denson 10PA17C compressor. I'll get back to you tonight.

PS...if you do end up needing a compressor these guys have an entire re-manf compressor w/ clutch for a lot cheaper than an aftermarket compressor that you get from Kragen's or Autozone that usually doesn't have a compressor. I bought my mom's for only $129...and it is a re-manf ND compressor.
Old 03-08-2004, 01:36 PM

Mohamed,

Thank you for the reply. I did get the pulley off. All you do is remove the 10mm bolt and the cover that it holds on. Behind that is a snap ring and once removed the pulley will come off revealing the guts of the A/C clutch. My clutch looked good but the bearing is just starting to go bad. I just picked up the bearing from a bearing supply store. It is a Nachi bearing # 30BG5222UUS. It measures 52mm OD, 30mm ID and 22mm wide and was about $25. The guy recommended using blue locktite on the outer race that contacts the inside of the pulley. Looks like I'll be in business.

Thanks,
Andrew
Old 03-08-2004, 01:42 PM
Contributing Member

That's good you found it. That lock right is also a very good idea, you don't want that pully coming off...might be bad
Old 03-08-2004, 01:55 PM

No doubt! Thanks for your help, I appreciate your willingness to look that up.

Take care,
Andrew