Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

60K Tune Up

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2003, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
60K Tune Up

So, I am up for my 60K tune up; and I have been putting it off partly because I want to do it myself. I want to learn more about my rig. I have done minor maint. on other vehicles, checking fluids, changing spark plugs thats about it.
I have read all the "searched threads" on 60k tune up, and feel that I consumed a lot of info on what I need to do, and feel completely confident that I can wrap my mind around anything, but I think that I only know 80% of what I need to do.
I am starting to think that I should just take my rig to the Stealership and have them do it, (to be on the safe side) but then how does one learn more about the truck under my seat unless you spend time with it.
Can someone create a very simple check list of what are the key tasks of a 60K tune up?
Old 02-13-2003, 08:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So up to now what you only did oil changes, I'll make you a list
Old 02-13-2003, 08:36 PM

Most aftermarket manuals will give a run-down of all of the things that should be done at each interval. They will also guide you through the process, and only cost about $15.

Also, you can do it yourself, possibly gain some tools, use synthetics, and get a useful manual and still save $$$.

It is definitely worth doing it yourself. Just think about how much more comfortable you will be with the workings of your truck.

Just my opinion...
Old 02-13-2003, 08:38 PM
Contributing Member

I would only have the Stealership do the timing belt and have them install new belts while they're at it. Unless you have a big bucket and want to dispose of the toyota red antifreeze yourself, I might let them do that too. But if you do it yourself, make sure you fill the radiator back up with a toyota red mixture, it's better for the radiator. the rest of the stuff is easy and you should be able to tackle it, only way to learn is to muff it up and fix it. I've done my share of muffing and learned from everyone. good luck. I'll wait to see what Edge has to say, that way I don't repeat his list. good luck dude
Old 02-13-2003, 08:58 PM

60k Maintenance Schedule

Replace engine oil
Replace oil filter (genuine Toyota filter)
Lubricate suspension
Lubricate all hood & door hinges and latches
Check and replenish fluids
Inspect vehicle for leaks
Perform automatic transmission service (drain and refill)
Adjust brakes and handbrake to factory specs
Inspect brake linings for wear
Adjust belts to correct tension & check wear
Rotate tires (where applicable)
Examine exhaust system for leaks and security
Check front and rear suspension and steering components
Test electrical system
Service battery (fill to level, clean corrosion, coat terminals)
Install BG Service Kit
Reset tire pressure (including spare) examine for wear
Inspect all hoses and clamps
Replace air filter
Inspect throttle body for combustible residue and clean
Test distributor, ignition wires and coil
Replace spark plugs if applicable (non iridium)
Drain coolant and replace for proper protection level and condition
Road test vehicle by Factory Trained Technician
Free one day rental
Hand car wash

Recommended: 4 wheel alignment
Recommended: Timing belt replacement
Recommended: Throttle Plate Service
Recommended: Fuel Induction Service
Recommended: Transmission Flush Service
Recommended: Cooling System Flush Service

Last edited by EDGE; 02-13-2003 at 09:15 PM.
Old 02-13-2003, 09:00 PM

A few questions, can one flush things at home or does a dealer/shop need to do that:confused:

The BG service kits, everyone seems to use them at least Toyota, Lexus, Nissan and Infiniti and others

edit:
not listed in the maintaince schedule, shouldn't one bleed/flush the brake lines and replace with all new fluid

Last edited by EDGE; 02-13-2003 at 09:03 PM.
Old 02-13-2003, 09:33 PM

Can someone enlighten me as to what a "BG service kit" is?
Old 02-14-2003, 07:33 AM
Contributing Member

Re: 60k Maintenance Schedule

Originally posted by EDGE
Recommended: 4 wheel alignment

I'm abit confused. does the 2000 4runner have independent rear suspension? I would think he'd just need a front wheel alignment, unless I am mistaken in thinking that the 2k has a solid axle.
Old 02-14-2003, 12:21 PM

Re: Re: 60k Maintenance Schedule

Originally posted by keisur
I'm abit confused. does the 2000 4runner have independent rear suspension? I would think he'd just need a front wheel alignment, unless I am mistaken in thinking that the 2k has a solid axle.
I copied everything out of a booklet I got from my Toyota dealers so it will cover all vehicles so so things will be for yours others will not.

The 2000 4Runner has a solid rear axil, so the front wheels just need to be lined up
Old 02-14-2003, 01:24 PM
Contributing Member

Re: Re: Re: 60k Maintenance Schedule

Originally posted by EDGE
I copied everything out of a booklet I got from my Toyota dealers so it will cover all vehicles so so things will be for yours others will not.

The 2000 4Runner has a solid rear axil, so the front wheels just need to be lined up

Ahhh. I see. I was just curious, I just had mine aligned at 4wheelparts down the road. I notice the invoice says "4 wheel" (it could stand for 4X4). It was $105!! I thought it was pretty steep but they did the best alignment I think my 4Runner has ever had! Supposedly they have different equipment for the lifted and modified rigs and that is why other shops don't do such a great job. Anyway, the alignment is dead-on-balls! I don't mind paying that much if the quality is this good so they will get my business again for the next time I need one.

I think BG service kit is the engine cleaner you add to your gas. Like BG-44 or is it BK-44, no wait, that's BK-Broiler I'm thinking of.
Old 02-14-2003, 02:05 PM

I thought new vehicles came with those maintanance books along with the owners manual, if you have one of those in the glove box flip through it.

keisur
105 bucks for a front wheel alignment is kinda high but if they do quality work it never hurts to pay a premium.

Certain things don't need to be performed if they where already done

The BG Service Kits are additional Services the dealers perform, someone posted the website and I can't find it, correction I just found it http://www.bgprod.com/
Old 02-14-2003, 03:31 PM

You have to buy the maintenance books at a auto parts place like NAPA.
Old 02-14-2003, 05:44 PM

The owners booklet that came with my 4Runner was pretty nice, but nothing about 60K type of maintenance.
It does have a simple chapter on "Do it yourself" type of things like adding oil or washer fluid and changing bulbs.
I guess I will get the $15 repair manual.
Old 02-16-2003, 11:32 AM
Contributing Member

I have always found that different stealers suggest different services at each mileage. I think the toyota website has a list of rec's, I really can't remember though. I guess I could git off my lazy azz and check it out. Usually you can stop in at a local stealer and they'll give you a zeroxed sheet that has a list of the maintenance schedule items they rec.

EDGE - do you happen to know off hand what the price is on the bg service at the stealer is? yep, 105 is steep for front align but like you said, quality. I would pay it again rather than go to the stealer and pay, what? $60 bucks for a half-ass job and a couple broken heads off the skid plate bolts. that actually happened. I was out of town and the wife need to use the 4runner so I told her to go ahead and take it to the stealer for an oil change. they over-torqued and broke the heads off two skid plate bolts and just tried to leave them that way. when I got back I checked out the rattle under there and found their quality craftsmanship! I usually do the oil my self but since I wasn't around... anyway, I stormed back down there and made them drill the leftovers out and retap the two holes. they put in really cheap bolts I think they found on the ground but I removed them and replaced with the right ones and just forgot about it. that's why I do all my own work. haha. jeez, "I" got off topic! they even got upset when, after the alignment, I told them that they forgot to line up the wheel because going straight down the road the steering wheels was about 15 degs off.
Old 02-16-2003, 04:02 PM

Originally posted by keisur
EDGE - do you happen to know off hand what the price is on the bg service at the stealer is?
No clue to what the price is, althought Toyota is not the only one who uses BG but I have never seen their products in the auto parts store, I think you can actually buy the stuff from Toyota.

If you would like to know the prices no problem I'll check with Toyota cause I myself wanna see what it would cost, since it is sunday night and we are expecting over a foot and it will snow all day monday and all the dealers look abandoned, no cars at all on the property, probably cause of the snow, I'll have to wait.

I did ask them about oil changes and they told me like 20 something dollars which is not bad when you look at what the Jiffy Lube place usually F cars up for more:confused:

I asked the Parts Manager if their was anything that needed to be greased and he said nothin except spraying white lithium grease on the bushing if that, now I know their is at least one grease/zerk fitting on the front drive shaft why doesn't he.

I have never had a problem with a past Dealer "Nissan", any work that was ever performed by the Techs never messed up anything, Toyota is new to me and from the looks of things the dealer I bought the Truck from wants to keep their reputation perfect, seeing that they are capable of installing TRD and working on Hybrids they are the only Toyota dealer by me capable of that, so they have very high standards but Im anal and they are still Fing up in my mind

I have never done anything to a car/truck but engine oil changes up to 60k but they seem to be a little anal about maintaince, does it really need to be done so soon and so often, since you do all your services what do you think, when do you flush stuff