Solid Axle Swaps, All Years Anything SAS related

solid swap and leafs all around

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 06:15 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Spinnbait
I've got the go-ahead to purchase my front kit in the next couple of weeks.
How much did THAT cost you in groveling, sucking up and shopping sprees?

Old 12-30-2007, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
haha

Off-camber + leg lifts = her desire to build a better machine. Plus it's her turn for a new vehicle once I'm "done" with this "part" of the build. I don't even want to think about the shopping (blocking image from mind).
Old 01-07-2008, 09:14 PM

update

I have finally finished removing the unnecessary bracketry. It's also mostly sanded and ready for gusseting and paint. It took an entire cutting wheel to do one shock mount, so out came the torch. I was worried that I'd warp the axle, but with some wire brushing, water, and heat step-down it looks fine. The woman came out to take a look and loves it; I can't be any better off as far as support comes. After I showed and explained the weaknesses in the stock birfs, I may have the option to upgrade (we will see).

On a side note, this little project has been another reason why this is the most drawn-out SAS ever...(new garage/shop). All we have to do is finish the walls and ceiling. It's so nice to have multiple outlets and a 220v outlet that does not have to share with the dryer!

Old 01-08-2008, 04:54 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Nice!

Old 01-08-2008, 05:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this is gonna be a good thread... and about the grime and dirt? it cleaned up my front axle(IFS, but it has the pot in the middle... you know?) with a pressure washer i got from target for 23 bucks, and you know what? it actually worked! i never knew what color my axles actually were until i did that! lol. good luck, and keep us posted!
Old 01-19-2008, 09:12 PM

I began the rear leaf swap tonight. Used a couple of really good friends and was able to get the axle out, mostly cleaned, and most of the brackets off of the frame. I almost blew up my truck. I hate the placement and fasteners used for the gas tank!!!!!!! I love the build quality of the tank.

I now have some OME 862 coils for sale as well as some trailmaster shocks that probably have some vice-grip marks on them. The coils are in nice shape though.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:14 PM

wheewww

It's done...the leaf conversion, that is. The only exceptions are the two front greasable spring hanger bolts that I was too stupid to look for before I began my swap. I have some makeshift ones in there now, but I will not be driving it until I replace them. It took about 50% longer than I had expected, but I feel happy with it. I am excited as it seems as if it changed my ride height very little. This is good for my dream of sticking with 33" tires. I could not have done this without my father (welded it all), the girfriend (up til 3am helping me do prep. work), my two buddies (Keagan and Tom), Brian at Wabfab, and the guys at T.O.R.S. that hooked me up with the hardware to finish the fab.

Now, time to recoup and begin the front plans. I feel as if it will be much easier/faster as I will have the axle ready to go and the hangers welded up prior to the start date.

I'll try to get some pictures with measurements, but I did not take any during the swap. I only have access to the girlfriend's camera and dad's girlfriend's camera and I do not want to make room in the budget for a digital camera that I destroy.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:48 PM

pics....

Here they are...

The rim-to-fender distance on both sides is 18". It seems as if it will be fine with 33" tires, especially after the break-in period.

Rear

Left

Right

At an angle

Pinion angle

Truck side
Old 01-23-2008, 08:11 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Looks good!

I assume you are planning to throw on some paint and cut down your U-Bolts to finish it up.

When I got done with mine, the rear axle had more travel... as will yours. Seems like your muffler might be close to the DS, but hard to tell from the pictures.

Just be aware of possible clearance issues on that as well as the gas tank skid and clearance accordingly.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Elvota
Looks good!

I assume you are planning to throw on some paint and cut down your U-Bolts to finish it up.

When I got done with mine, the rear axle had more travel... as will yours. Seems like your muffler might be close to the DS, but hard to tell from the pictures.

Just be aware of possible clearance issues on that as well as the gas tank skid and clearance accordingly.
Paint please, the southeast doesn't see rust . I am still waiting on some bolts. Once I get them, I'll button it all up. It's sub 30 degrees at night here, so I need to get up and paint the axle before work to keep if from crystallizing. The muffler will be fine, but I will have to cut off the rear of the exhaust to prevent clearance issues. Funny enough, the exhaust tip is welded to the hitch to get it outta my way during the swap.

I used the crossmember (one that the LSPV is on) to connect the shocks. It should be fine. 12" shocks are a bit to fit up in there.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:19 AM

Also, we welded the front spring hangers with the lip-side out. We welded the rear shackle hanger toward the outside of the frame. It all seems to be fine, but are there any concerns that I should have?
Old 01-24-2008, 11:30 AM
Contributing Member

You'd probably have to post some pics of your fabrication for direct comments.

If everything is aligned and secure, you should be good to go.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:05 PM

we lost him
Old 02-24-2008, 09:50 PM

what?
Old 02-25-2008, 06:58 AM

No, I'm still here....School is taking the majority of my time right now. I was able to build a front bumper, but that's about all of my work since my last post. I'm on Spring break next week and I do not believe that I have the time (or money) to get my SAS stuff in by then. I may just try to build my rear bumper and fender protection. I also have to build a Tacoma bumper for a buddy, sometime. I'll try to post some pictures.

Leaf swap query: Has anybody had issues with the stock e-brake cables? They're a bit too shory, so I think I'm going to go find some ex. cab lines from a pickup. I'm getting a "pop" noise in tight corners and I am wondering if it is the sound of the e-brake lines pinching off of the leaf retainer bolt.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:45 AM
Contributing Member

Nice progress so far, I look forward to seeing how this turns out because its exactly what I am wanting to do myself (3" front SAS, 4"rear leaf swap, and then run 33's). Ah I can't wait to do mine
Old 03-11-2008, 04:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great build, I'm doing the same thing 3" TG SAS front and 33's but I will be running the OME 862 coils in the back for now.

I have a V6 2dr 93 runner, any one see a problem running the 3" TG SAS kit with a TG front bumper and a M8000 winch?. I really do not want to get he 4" kit as the truck feels very top heavy as is.

Great build again!!

Jeremy
Old 03-11-2008, 10:06 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Wheelingnoob
I have a V6 2dr 93 runner, any one see a problem running the 3" TG SAS kit with a TG front bumper and a M8000 winch?. I really do not want to get he 4" kit as the truck feels very top heavy as is.
Most go with 4" to get the steering clearance they need. Sounds like you are going to have some good weight up there as well.

I guess if you start with 3" springs and have issues, 4" springs wouldn't be that hard to swap.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:41 AM

I guess I'm on the once a month update rate. Still no SAS or parts (sorry Brian). I can't justify buying them when they will just sit in the floor until Summer. I am learning several new programming languages this semester, so I spend my nights doing that. I am hoping that if I can get/stay caught-up through Friday, I can finish up my rear bumper. Just have to get my welder back from my buddy's house. Anyways, maybe one day I'll have some progress...
Old 04-01-2008, 07:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
whats wrong with the scuba tank?

Quick Reply: solid swap and leafs all around