Solid Axle Swaps, All Years Anything SAS related

93 p/u sas

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alright. Got a lot more done between last night and tonight. Feel like this could be a relatively quick process if you had a whole weekend free. Pretty straight forward. The new rear springs brackets are in place, the springs are hung, the old spring perches are cut off and the axle is loosely hung. Awaiting the rear diff in order to set the pinion angle before welding the perches. On to the pics...

Old rear springs vs. New springs

Front all welded with a coat of paint. Brakes, pitman and a few other details to cover.

Poser pic w/new tires... Couldn't help myself.

My buddy welding up the new spring hangers.

New springs and axle loosely hung.

Rear view.

So I'm getting there... I don't THINK I'll have to lengthen the rear drive shaft... But I'm really kinda dreading messing with the front shaft. Lots left to do! More next week, vacation starting Thursday, but sadly I'll be out of town until Sunday. Let me know if anyone has input/suggestions for the driveshafts.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:41 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Looking good Clint!

:wabbit2:
Old 06-22-2011, 07:14 AM

On the driveahafts im not sure if you will need to lengthen the rear my axle isn't in stock location but if you do need too since this is your street truck/offroader I would for sure get them done at a shop so they are balanced
Old 06-24-2011, 01:41 PM

balance is very important, but you could possible get a longer driveshaft at a junk yard near you.

its lookin great man!
Old 06-29-2011, 08:27 PM

Done yet I havent seen in parked across the street? I start on linking my front end next weekend when parts get here
Old 06-29-2011, 08:56 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
DAYUMMMMM, you're not messing around with those meats, eh? lol.... Looks great, keep up the good work
Old 06-30-2011, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
DAYUMMMMM, you're not messing around with those meats, eh? lol.... Looks great, keep up the good work
Go big or go home... as long as I can get it out of the dam garage when it's done!
Old 06-30-2011, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Kytoy
Done yet I havent seen in parked across the street? I start on linking my front end next weekend when parts get here
Three link or four? Never seen one in person with the front done, should be interesting.

No, the big green bastard isn't done yet... I'm just waiting on the rear differential right now...
Old 07-01-2011, 03:40 AM

4 link front and it should be nasty. Stretching the front axle another 5 inches forward should give my tires the only thing in the front of the truck.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:47 AM

Just an update, not much progress over the last week or so. Still awaiting my rear diff, and I've ordered a front drive shaft kit and power steering box frame reinforcement kit from Mr. Wabbit. I'll try to do a little work on it this week, but just kinda waiting on stuff at this point!
Old 07-20-2011, 01:32 PM

Sooooo, nothing really new... I'm STILL waiting on the rear diff to come back from the same guy who set up the front one for me. He lives 45 minutes away, does not answer the phone, and now his voicemail is full I can't even leave another message... Starting to get a little pissed off.

Otherwise, should see my front driveshaft kit and frame reinforcement kit for the steering box from Wabfab within the next few days. I did reinstall the front brakes this past weekend, just need to bleed them and it should be good to go there besides the bumpstops. Want to be able to get full articulation out of the front axle before setting the bump stops.

Otherwise, I guess the waiting doesn't really suck as bad when the heat index is over 115...
Old 08-15-2011, 06:26 PM

Any updates?
Old 08-16-2011, 04:44 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Last time I talked to Clint he was having rear locker issues.

:wabbit2:
Old 08-16-2011, 05:26 PM

Thumbs up IFS V6 Rotors

Sorry to hijack,
I just wanted to confirm that the V6 IFS rotors will fit on the TG FJ rotors. I am about to start a SAS and it would save me a ton of $$ if I don't have to buy new calipers!
Old 08-16-2011, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by drmix
Any updates?
Brian hit the nail on the head. The guy setting up the rear diff sat on it FOREVER, then when he finally got around to working on it, he realized that the detroit locker I had was the wrong size. Turns out that it is for a 4 cylinder truck, and mine's a V6.

So, I've ordered a Yukon Grizzly locker for the front from Randy's Ring and Pinion that should be delivered to the guy with the rear diff tomorrow. I'm off to Oregon for a few days, but it should be done with the Yukon and 4.88's installed by the time I get back next week.

Front is pretty much done beside finishing up the brake lines. Steering arms and stabilizer in this weekend. Bought an 84 front driveshaft and installed the long spline kit. Need to throw it on.

The rear is ready for the rear diff, then I can weld up the spring perches, new shock mounts, and throw it all back together. Have to wait to get it out of the garage to put the 35's on, but I found a spare bogger someone had lying around for a spare. Pics shortly of the progress.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by 92xcab
Sorry to hijack,
I just wanted to confirm that the V6 IFS rotors will fit on the TG FJ rotors. I am about to start a SAS and it would save me a ton of $$ if I don't have to buy new calipers!
Yup, they fit just fine.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Ravencraft
I'm off to Oregon for a few days,

Hey Raven, ur coming to see me? lol
Its been a long time since ive visited this thread, ive mostly been on my own regions fishing forums. The Chinook run on the Columbia is about to peak in a few days, and I cant wait to get back out there.

Hope it all comes together for ya man
Old 09-03-2011, 07:13 PM

She's all coming together now boys and girls. Lots of loose ends to tie up before it's trail worthy, but she's finally back on the ground and will come out of the garage for a little flex test tomorrow.

As it sat this morning. Finished up the brakes all the way around today, as well as finalizing the steering box and just doing a lot of double checking and re-tightening. Used a whole tube of grease. I found a small puddle underneath one front knuckle this morning... So I fear I may have screwed up one of the axle seals... I'll do some light testing tomorrow and then probably tear that knuckle back apart . No big deal since I'm waiting on an adapter for my front driveshaft.

Back on all four tires for the first time in about four months. One weird thing, the drivers side in the rear is noticeably higher than the passenger side. No huge deal, but it was like that on the original suspension as well. Now that it's all been replaced, makes me wonder if the truck is a little... Crooked? Not too worried about it.

How I left it this evening. The 35's will go on tomorrow or Monday. Oh, and I got a slightly used 35x14.50 TSL Bogger for a spare. $20 as long as I return the rim.

So, more to follow. Thanks again to Brian at Wabfab for constantly answering my dumb questions.
Old 09-04-2011, 05:14 AM

I, Digg it !!!
I want one now...
Old 09-04-2011, 10:51 AM

looks great man...I'm jealous can't wait to see it outside.

Quick Reply: 93 p/u sas