Solid Axle Swaps, All Years Anything SAS related

86 p/u sas. Final questions. Brake line routing? Steering adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 10:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
86 p/u sas. Final questions. Brake line routing? Steering adjustment?

Sorry, this should be my last question thread here. Plan to be done tomorrow. Googled for 20 minutes and couldnt find the thread I found a long time ago about adjusting steering completely on the solid axle. It's out of an '85 truck. Here's what I've done:

Centered steering wheel at 3 1/4 turns from one side. Put pitman arm pointing straight back. Installed tie rod and set toe in at 1/8" approximately. Pointed wheels straight forward. Installed drag link. Drag link has roughly 3 threads showing on each side. Now I turn the wheel to the left and right but can't get the full 6 1/2 turns lock to lock. I only get about 5. Weird thing is the steering stop bolts on the knuckles aren't even hitting the steering stops on the axle. It's hard to do by myself. Just wanting some pointers on how to properly adjust the steering. If someone knows the website for the tutorial on how to fully set the front steering I'd appreciate it. Otherwise, I need to know how to set the steering stop bolts, as they're all out of whack (some are screwed way in and some way out.) I need to know how far to let my truck turn left and right.

And my last question is how has everyone else routed their new braided brake lines?? i have the 5" Trail Gear springs. Deleted the brake dust shields. Just ran the stock brake line off the caliper to the braided line, then welded the brake brackets off the IFS to the frame for the braided lines to set into and bolt up to the lines coming from up top. Now I have tons of slack and I'd like to know what to do with it. I feel like if I hit something right, the line will catch on a tire or get smashed in a leaf spring and I'll be without brakes.

I'd like to get these questions answered by 2pm central time Thursday Jan 19, as this is when I need to be leaving with the truck. Feel free to add to this thread after that, but I'll need to be done around 2. I can always adjust the steering more later.

Thanks!!
Old 01-19-2012, 05:15 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Got 30 spline axles? Steering stop bolts are irrelevant then. Reinforce them and screw all the way in.

Secure hard line off caliper to something or it will vibrate and leak. Braided slack zip tie to shocks.

:wabbit2:
Old 01-19-2012, 06:14 AM

No longfields yet.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:22 AM

Hey Joe what did you come up with cause i'm in the same boat? pics? Thanks
Old 11-05-2012, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Baggedgmc1995
Hey Joe what did you come up with cause i'm in the same boat? pics? Thanks
SS brake lines are dangerously hanging and are zip tied out of the way. Hope to have the brackets done next weekend.

Steering is very weird but there's no power steering. Still not bad at all for 37's LOL! I have some weird almost bump steer like symptom but it's not bump steer. Throwing on new tires with proper balancing and removing wheel weights corrected all the issues I was asking about here. Still going to hydro-assist in the spring