Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

superstition mountain jan 13-15 so cal crew

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2005, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hahahaha. this sounds like it's going to be a fun trip. it's like almost a 4 hour drive from where i'm at though...

but damn i want to go so bad..................
Old 12-24-2005, 07:25 PM

4 inch trailmaster lift
4 inch skyjacker springs in rear
bilstein 5100s
How much for the lift kit? I'm asking for my kid who has a 89 pickup 4WD.
I take it no aux lighting available?

Thanks, Tony
Old 12-25-2005, 04:14 PM

hey does anyone have a recipe for cooking a turkey on a barbque..... since my family was sick on christmas i have now inherited two 14-15 pound turkeys ..... i have a big brinkman barbque/smoker but i've never done any smoking before.... we can smoke the two and probably feed half the crew....
Old 12-25-2005, 07:00 PM

alright maybe i need to rethink this whole turkey thing i'm looking at possibly 5-7 hours of cooking and i'm not going out there to cook!!!! maybe i'll cook it at home and then bring parts and re heat on the grill that could be good!!!
Old 12-25-2005, 08:24 PM

mmmmmm turkey....

sandiego- i'm gunna pm you.
Old 12-26-2005, 10:38 AM

isn't superstition mountain east of san diego? i'm coming from the orange county/inland empire area. (i live right in between the two.)

anyway, i'm going to be driving straight through san diego on my way there. if any of you san diego guys would like to meet me in san diego and then we can leave to superstition as a group, that'd be rad. i'd take the 15 south to san diego then take the 8 east towards el centro.

where exactly is superstition mountain? i looked at a map and saw some state parks around that i'm area and that'd be my best guess.
Old 12-26-2005, 12:56 PM

I'm going to head out Fri late afternoonish, don't know when the others are leaving. Going in a group is nice, I don't like pulling into a huge camp area and then trying to find people you haven't meet before plus it would be nice to all camp in the same general area, otherwise we'll be surrounded by jeeps. Mikey I never smoked a turkey but have smoked tuna, if your smoker is not electric you'll have to keep adding coals and wood chips during the smoking process. Plus if you want it to be killer you got to marinate it in a brine overnight. you could always cut the breasts/legs out and just bbq those
Old 12-26-2005, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by alanbobalan
isn't superstition mountain east of san diego? i'm coming from the orange county/inland empire area. (i live right in between the two.)

anyway, i'm going to be driving straight through san diego on my way there. if any of you san diego guys would like to meet me in san diego and then we can leave to superstition as a group, that'd be rad. i'd take the 15 south to san diego then take the 8 east towards el centro.

where exactly is superstition mountain? i looked at a map and saw some state parks around that i'm area and that'd be my best guess.

Superstition Map
Old 12-26-2005, 09:09 PM

josh you rule for post the map.... i think im going to cook the turkeys the day before and then just barbque reheat them on saturday night..... i'm not cooking all damn day i'm gonna be wheeling....
Old 12-26-2005, 09:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
tentatively planning to go

bob
Old 12-26-2005, 09:58 PM

Right on Bob, I hope you can make it!

What runs are we doing this year? I know last year Mikey did the harder Tilted table? most of us did Lost Duchman (Closet Frenchman) and Seth and his buddy did the suv run. What range of rigs/drivers do we have coming this year?

SUV Run 1
Rabbits Foot I 2
Rabbits Foot II 2
Lost Dutchman 3
Tilted Table E-W 3+
Tilted Table W-E 4
Black Cat W-E 4
Black Cat E-W 4
Voodoo 4
Knock on Wood 4+
Wishbone 4+
Broken Arrow 4+

Trail Rating System
1 Stock Any 4x4 vehicle with no other modifications

2 Slightly Modified Anti-sway bar disconnected. Front & rear tow
attachments. Minimum 31” off road tires and
suspension lift suggested

3 Slight Modified Anti-sway bar disconnected. Front & rear tow
attachments. Suspension lift, 1 hard locker suggested,
Minimum 31” tires strongly suggested.

3+ Modified Anti-sway bar disconnected. Front & rear tow
attachments. Suspension lift, 1 hard locker strongly
suggested, minimum 31” tires REQUIRED. 32” or
larger tires strongly suggested.

4 Highly Modified Suspension lift, 1 hard locker REQUIRED, 2
suggested, minimum 32” tires REQUIRED, Winch
suggested

4+ Highly Modified Suspension lift, 2 hard lockers REQUIRED, minimum
33” tires highly suggested. Winch highly suggested.
Expect vehicle damage. EXPERIENCED DRIVERS
ONLY.
Old 12-26-2005, 10:03 PM

Oh and dont forget the safety checklist!!!
They also check for an insurance card, don't forget it!!

1. Roll bar or full cage or factory hard top.

2. Functioning parking brake or Mico lock.

3. Tow strap or rope. No chains or straps with hooks. Recommend rated at 2 times vehicle weight.

4. First aid kit (what do you want when you are hurt?). It should be mounted/stored in an easily found and accessible location, so that someone not familiar with your vehicle could find it in a hurry.

5. Jack capable of lifting the vehicle and a tool capable of removing lug nuts (don't forget your wheel locks).

6. Spare tire equal to or within 3 inches (measured at the outside diameter) of existing tires on the vehicle; must be an appropriate off road type tread. No temporary spares.

7. Fire extinguisher with gauge indicating good, appropriately stored (not a missile hazard). Like the first aid kit, someone not familiar with your vehicle should be able to quickly find and access it.

8. Seat belts for driver and all passengers.

9. Antennas must not exceed 4'6" (54") in length except when longer antennas/whip are required by certain OHV areas.

10. Adequate attachment points front and rear, i.e., tow hooks, receiver, etc. Tow balls are generally rated for only 2,000 pounds, and that is when hooked to a trailer. They can come off with devastating results and are not recommended. Instead, for SUV's without a good tow hook attachment point, use the largest shackle or clevis (generally 1") which will fit in the tow ball hole on your stock bumper.

11. Battery hold downs; no bungee cords.

12. Functional 40 Channel CB radio. Handheld (walkie-talkie) types are acceptable but not recommended.
Old 12-26-2005, 10:17 PM

nice. thanks for the map, phalanx.

who wants to meet me in san diego on that friday? that would just make life easier. let me know when you guys are leaving or let me know when the arrangements are made. can't wait.

you bring the turkey, i'll bring the um cheese? turkey and cheese sandwiches. then we can make smores when you guys roast that vw engine block. hahaha. jk.

hey, does anyone know if there is a deadline to register for the runs? i still haven't done that....
Old 12-26-2005, 11:05 PM

You can register until 11pm that Friday at the event.
Old 12-27-2005, 04:24 AM

i know i'm taking that friday off so i can get out there hopefully before dark i know alot of people have gps's so maybe if someone who has one can follow me out we can get coordinates to everyone..... we shouldn't be to hard to find we are usually the only group of yotas in a sea of jeeps.... i will post some pics of my trucks my 10foot tall camper and dodge dielsel is kind of hard not to see but the fridaynightgotogettocampandhaveafrigginbeer fustercluck can be a little daunting
Old 12-27-2005, 04:49 AM
Contributing Member

I plan on heading out at about 7pm Friday.

My plan is to run the easier Tilted Table run this year. The slow crawl of the Lost Dutch dude got on my nerves last year.
Old 12-27-2005, 06:46 AM

i won't be doing anything that friday either. i'm quitting my job. me and my boss =

my brother has a gps, but i don't know if he'll make this run.
Old 12-27-2005, 07:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I just got a GPS for christmas, so if I get out there early I can throw out coordinates. Josh probably already has some from last year, though.

John and I went on Rabbit's Foot last year, which is supposed to be a 2. But the trailboss told us toward the end that they made some wrong turns and we were actually going through stuff that they were doing on the 3 trails. Wasn't that hard, but you could definitely tell some rigs were having a harder time.

I think We might opt for lost dutchman this year, or maybe just do rabbit's foot run again. Not sure, what John will be up for.
Old 12-27-2005, 04:31 PM

ok here's a quick tip.... after you find camp if you come in before midnight go over to the registration and do your safety inspection and register.... now i know what your thinkin ....im tired and i want a cold beer..... but you will thank me in the morning when you see your run is full and there are fifty jeeps waiting in lines to be inspected before the runs...... i know josh said it already but DONT FORGET YOUR REGISTRATION AND PROOF OF INSURANCE...... some of the other stuff you might be able to slide on but that is a definate no go.... i have an extra cb with cig lighter power cord and magnet antenna if someone needs one and you cant buy one i can loan you my extra i just want it back of course so post up and reserve it with me so i dont have everyone saying "but i thought you were bringing me one" you can pick up a decent cb for about fifty bucks with antenna at radio shack..... i have a very cheap REALISTIC cb that i've had for years and it still works good.. you dont need something super high power just something to talk to the guy in front of you and behind you
Old 12-27-2005, 04:49 PM

Here are the coordinates to the waypoints on the map that i posted

Quick Reply: superstition mountain jan 13-15 so cal crew