Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

Faithwheelers - March 8th at Tahuya

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2003, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Faithwheelers - March 8th at Tahuya

March 8th. the Faithwheelers will be running to Tahuya for a GREEN run. We'll be leaving Faith Family Church in Milton at 9:00am and meeting others at the Safeway in Belfair at 10:00am.

The trip is open to anyone who wants to make the run. We'll have some stockers with us, including an 81 Suburban. We'll probably keep him off of Riff Raff, but ya never know...
We'll be on CB channel 5.

The Quadrapaws have opened up a new section of trail over the last month. Not sure what it's like but I'm hoping to hear back from them soon. Has anyone run this new trail yet?
Old 03-07-2003, 08:40 PM

Anyone from here coming along? Looks like we have 7 rigs right now. I Bronco, I Heep and 5 TOYS!
Old 03-08-2003, 07:07 PM

The trip turned out to be more fun and larger than anticipated. 12 rigs in all. I should have a trip report up by tomorrow, perhaps later tonight....

For anyone else that was there, who took vids or pics, if you could post them somewhere, or email them to me I'll post them in the report.

I really want to get a copy of the shots of me in the mud, yeah, I actually got stuck and had to get the strap!
Old 03-09-2003, 04:21 PM
Contributing Member

Hey Gibby,

Just wanted to say thanks for letting me come along and enjoying the fun! I really had a great time. I can not wait to hook up with you guys again to have that much fun!

Markus
Old 03-09-2003, 04:38 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Pics pics pics...

Looking forward to them whenever you get them up Dale.
Old 03-09-2003, 05:28 PM

Hey Gibby,

Thanks, it was a good run, Richele and I had a great time, great group of people.

Thanks,
L.A.
Old 03-09-2003, 05:46 PM

Pics that I had are now up. I would like to see some of the other pics that people took. I'm dying to see that video of me in the mud holes, but I can't remember who took the video.

The pics I have are only the ones that I had so needless to say, there's a lot of people left out since we got separated for a couple hours.

I'm not completely finished with the page. There are some names and comments missing and I have another 10-15 vids to be added.

I tried to break these up and thumbnail pics for those of you with old fashioned dial up connections... There's about 70 pics 40 vids total.
Old 03-09-2003, 05:47 PM

Here's the link.
www.faithwheelers.com

Follow the link to the Tahuya trail report on the front page.
Old 03-10-2003, 09:55 AM
Contributing Member

Gibby,

Can you give Mike my email address if you have his. He said he has some pics of a rear bumper for a 2nd Gen that is kewl.

I really enjoyed my time again. If there are any other get togethers keep me posted. I really enjoyed the group and all the fun I had.

I have not had that much fun in a long time!

On a different note. Some questions about the SAS you did! How long did it take you? Did you fab all the parts or did you purchase the kit? And the lockers, did you do all of it? Now that I saw your AWSOME RUNNER in action, I am really iching to get the stuff for the conversion! If you could let me know that kind of stuff just let me know please.

Again thanks for the fun time!!!!!
Old 03-10-2003, 10:23 AM

I don't have Mike's email addy, although he's on the forum so you'll have to look for him.

As far as the SAS goes, I purchased a kit from www.aor4x4.com.

It was about 2 hours work for 2 guys to get the IFS system off, then about a days work grinding and cutting to make it somewhat clean looking.

All the required parts came with the kit with the exception of the shock mounts.

I used an 82 Toy pickup front housing. The front end I purchased already had a cross-over steering set up from www.allprooffroad.com so I didn't have to buy this separately. I would have like to gone with a high steer setup but I wasn't going to through away perfectly good parts, not till I break'em at least.

I also swapped out the stock birfield joints for the stronger Bobby Long joints.

The install was fairly straight forward. For the shocks, in order to accomodate for the 14" travel shocks, I purchased the F250 style mounts from www.aor4x4.com, but I had to mount these on top of the frame and cut up through the firewall to get enough clearance and travel.

The lockers I did not do myself. ARB installs are not easy and I had these professionally done.

If you're serious about this project, but don't have the fabrication skills or tools, get in touch with Mike Kash aka Crash. He's on the forum. Mike's being doing these for a long time and is probably the only guy around here that will do the work on a somewhat professional basis. By that I mean that working on these rigs is not his profession, by he is a professional mechanic...

If you think you're pretty close but are missing some tools or help, then our club can help out. We get together for work parties like this and can get 3 or 4 guys together to tackle the project. I have all the equipment necessary but you're probably have to supply some grinding wheels, welding rod and gas for the torch.

IMHO, I think it's a good idea to purchase the products from a single supplier only because you can reduce or eliminate product mismatch. I do recall a time when I bought exhaust pieces from 2 different manufactures and they ended being about 6" apart when I tried to connect them together...

Our club tries to go on planned runs about once per month. Not sure where the next one will be yet, but Tahuya is great in the winter, kinda boring in the summer. However, there's enough varied terrain to keep it safe for the stockish rigs while still letting the built rigs play. I personally would like a more challenging place to wheel but there's only 1 or 2 rigs from that group that would be willing AND able to go. I like Evan's Creek ORV park the best so far, by rigs like Matt's Bronco just won't fit and the stock rigs won't make it without some damage or slowing everyone way down. Evan's Creek has a good variety of trails but they lean toward more difficult than easy. Even the trails that are considered moderate, like the first section of 311 we more difficult than anything we hit last weekend. Mostly because they are tight, with a lot of off-camber sections, deeeeeep ruts and holes. Some body protection, lift, MT tires and LSD's are required for these trails. I've seen lots of trucks get through with less, but they struggled. In some cases they suffered unwanted body damage from having to use speed and throttle to get through or they slowed the rest of the group down - a lot.

Your 4runner as it stands now would do just fine in many parts of Evan's Creek but a locker in the rear would be VERY helpful, moreso that an SAS. BTW, ALL my dents are from Evan's Creek :o)
Old 03-11-2003, 08:22 AM

Talking

Gibby nice pics great run thanks had a good time

Greg
Old 03-11-2003, 08:42 AM

I think our next club run will be April 26th. How's that date work? Not quite sure where it'll be yet... I'm open to suggestions.
Old 03-11-2003, 08:02 PM

Originally posted by upndair
BTW, ALL my dents are from Evan's Creek :o)
You have dents now?!?! All the ones I have are from TightAss. stupid trees....
Old 03-11-2003, 08:11 PM

More than I care to admit...

http://207.202.208.243/faithwheelers...2_cap00037.htm
http://207.202.208.243/faithwheelers...2_cap00034.htm