Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

CO4RJ: Eating out or Cooking in Camp

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2003, 12:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CO4RJ: Eating out or Cooking in Camp

I was just making my list of chow to get together for the jambo and got to wandering how many people intend to cook at camp versus how many people intend to eat in restaurants? Just regarding supper time, not breakfast or lunch. I was wondering how many people would be eating in camp and available for dinner conversation versus how many would be in Buena Vista chowing.

Thanks,
Adrian
Old 08-08-2003, 12:55 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am planning to bring food to cook in the evenings, but could easily succomb to peer-pressure to go find a good meal in Buena Vista...
Old 08-08-2003, 01:26 PM

I'll be going out to restaurants in Buena Vista for every supper except the potluck on Friday.
Old 08-08-2003, 04:13 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Jeff the marmot
I'll be going out to Hooters in Buena Vista for every supper except the potluck on Friday.
Sounds good they have a nice chicken sandwich.
Old 08-08-2003, 11:39 PM
Banned

If there was a Hooters in BV i'd be there at least once. The nearest Hooters is 2 hours away in the Springs.

I'm cooking in camp unless somone else is buying.
Old 08-09-2003, 09:15 AM

Does anyone know if we can still have fires there? That might influence some cooking or restaurant plans.

John
Old 08-09-2003, 09:25 AM
Contributing Member

There are no fire restrictions.

As for eating where, I'll probably do a mix of both, we'll see.
Old 08-09-2003, 03:55 PM

We'll be eating in camp each night. (I have my own Hooter's girl.)
Old 08-09-2003, 04:06 PM
Banned

The campground has several metal fire boxes on the edge of the grassy tent area. They require that fires be in the boxes and that the boxes not be moved.

For those staying outside the Chalk Creek campground I think you have to be in an established (fee) campground and also use a fire box. I don't think fires are allowed in primitive dispersed campsites if i'm interpreting the signs that I saw Wednesday correctly.
Old 08-09-2003, 04:30 PM

So does the fire box thing mean that I cannot grill or cook on my propane stove?

I am not at all familiar with the whole fire restriction thing, so please enlighten me on what passes muster.

I personally intend to mix it up and go with the flow. If tons of people are going out, then I will likely follow suit, but I should be cooking in camp a couple times as long as my grill is all right.
Old 08-09-2003, 04:53 PM
Banned

You may use propane anywhere. But why? I'll be cooking on a mesquite charcoal/cedar mix that gives food an incredible smell and flavor. You are more than welcome to share my heat. Breakfast may be a different story.

Last edited by jx94148; 08-09-2003 at 04:57 PM.
Old 08-09-2003, 07:53 PM

This thread makes me wonder - who's bringing firewood??? That should be on the list of what to bring aswell.

John
Old 08-09-2003, 09:11 PM
Contributing Member

I plan on cooking but like a few others have said I am flexible. Hangin' out, shootin' the sh!# and havin' a few is priority #1. So where ever that's happenin' I'm there.

What are you guys bringing to grill for the potluck? And how far is the closest grocery (beer) store?

Last edited by Albuquerque Jim; 08-09-2003 at 09:12 PM.
Old 08-10-2003, 06:33 PM
Banned

I'm bringing a standard 35 gallon Rubbermaid garbage can full of Pine/Cedar mix for firewood to the grassy tent area. Anyone's welcome to use some.
Old 08-10-2003, 06:38 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Albuquerque Jim
I plan on cooking but like a few others have said I am flexible. Hangin' out, shootin' the sh!# and havin' a few is priority #1. So where ever that's happenin' I'm there.

What are you guys bringing to grill for the potluck? And how far is the closest grocery (beer) store?
Its kind of a bring your own meat pot luck. Sides, salads, desserts, utensils, etc are all covered on Jeff's main info page

Donna Brown has organized more for the potluck/BBQ on Friday evening. She says:
You are to bring your own main dish. There will be at least a few grills going for you to grill/cook on. If you are bringing burgers or dogs, please bring condiments and buns of your choice. If anyone has questions, comments, ideas etc. please ask Donna. I am estimating that there will be at least 30-40 people there for the potluck so buy according to how many others are contributing in your category. There is a large grocery store in Buena Vista with a deli. If you are bringing a dish, remember to bring some sort of serving utensil or cutting utensil.
DRINKS (pop and water in ice chests): Lance Urenda and Michael Kuperstein
ICE: Lee Picha bring ice for drinking.
CUPS, FORKS, PLATES, NAPKINS, TRASH BAGS: Jeff Bathke and Matt Hinkley
FRUIT (fresh or a salad): Adrian Flygt, Steve and Carole Hunt, Mike Brown and family
SIDE SALAD (pasta, green, or slaw type of thing): Jim Hughes, Allan Davis, Ziad Matloub
CHIPS AND DIP: Mark Griese, Scott Basinger, Darren Kilgore
SIDE DISH (warm such as a casserole type): Mike Nevitt, Brent Wilhelmi, Steve Hedberg
BREAD/ROLLS: Alan(Haveblue), Mark Fit
and most important, DESSERT: The Schaefers, The Stavolas, and The Bonillas
Anyone that I missed, I'm open to them just bring any of the above.
Donna

Off-Road Solutions will be another sponsor of items for the free raffle. The raffle will take place Friday evening at the potluck/BBQ.
Edit, forgot ther other questions.

In Colorado grocery and conveinience type stores, you can only buy 3.2% ABV beer and wine cooler drinks. Full stregnth beers wines liquors etc. are only available in stores that do not sell food. The nearest Liquor store is within 5 minutes drive of the campground and to the North, up the highway. The nearest real grocery store, City Market, is about 8 minutes North of the campground and on the left of the highway. There are 2 or 3 liquor stores in Buena Vista.

Fuel is available all over the place along there.

Last edited by jx94148; 08-11-2003 at 04:22 AM.
Old 08-10-2003, 06:47 PM
Contributing Member

Jeff that pic you're using for your avatar is crazy!

Steve, they just recently opened a Hooters in SF, on Fisherman's wharf. Come on out to run the Rubicon and we'll check it out.

Hope you guys have a great time next week, can't wait to see the pics!
Old 08-10-2003, 06:54 PM

City Market in Buena Vista is in the 10 to 15 minute range IIRC. Not sure if they have beer, but I know they have regular chow.

I am bringing brats to eat at the potluck and fruit salad as designated by the list.

Thanks for the heating space offer Matt, I made need to take you up on that.

On a side note, my front locker is getting poopy just in time for the trip. I guess it doesn't like the Jambo for some reason. I am hoping to call in a favor tomorrow to get the shop to take a look at it, otherwise my compressor will be running all the time when both diffs are locked.
Old 08-10-2003, 06:57 PM
Banned

Originally posted by mertztr

Hope you guys have a great time next week, can't wait to see the pics!
Its this week, isn't it.
Old 08-10-2003, 07:01 PM
Contributing Member

Yes I guess it is, I guess ya got me on that one.:pat:
Old 08-10-2003, 08:02 PM

Does anyone think there is a bear threat at this campground? I'm hoping not to have to keep all our food in the truck during the day runs.

Matt, I think we'll try to bring a bundle or two of wood aswell.

I think we're going to try to eat at the campground as much as possible - but going to a restaraunt is a possability.

John

Quick Reply: CO4RJ: Eating out or Cooking in Camp