Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

Buena Vista area - August 10th-12th

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 10:04 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5 MAN ELETRIC BAND
Sign, sign, everywhere a sign
Blocking out the scenery
Wasting my time
Do this...don't do that
Can't you read the sign
This song keeps running through my head as I read how the events are about to unfold.

H. and I are going to be in BV Aug 10-13. At this point we are planning on motelling it.

Our plan, so far, is:

-arrive Fri after work and touch base with hhog4dc, Mojo_Risin, JadeRunner et-al.

-Sat get up at OH_My_God_it's_Early_O'clock and head to the Coyote Cantina, in Johnson Village, for the best breakfast burritos in Colorado.
From there we intend to head out for Williams Pass. Williams is not hard core by CarnageBV standards, but it ain't no scenic Sunday drive either.
The USFS strongly recommends that you do not go it alone and every rig be equipped with a winch. hhog4dc said he's up for it and anyone else who wants to go is welcome.

Sat night we are thinking about going up to Cottonwood Hot Spgs.

-Sun is open so far.

For those of you who are planning on roughing it, that weekend, be aware dispersed primitive camping is not allowed east of St Elmo along Chalk Creek. You must camp in USFS campgrounds. Camping is also not allowed on the road that goes past Iron Chest, you must continue on that road past the old Hancock town site before you are allowed to camp. There are 2 exceptions. 1) if you head south up the Antero/Baldwin trail off the main road or 2) head east off the Hancock road toward Mary Murphy. Don't despair there is fantastic dispersed camping along the road heading to Tincup a few miles west of St. Elmo. Get there early Fri for the best spots.

Last edited by Jake94; 05-31-2007 at 11:21 PM.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:07 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Jake94
This song keeps running through my head as I read how the events are about to unfold.

H. and I are going to be in BV Aug 10-13. At this point we are planning on motelling it.

Our plan, so far, is:

-arrive Fri after work and touch base with hhog4dc, Mojo_Risin, JadeRunner et-al.

-Sat get up at OH_My_God_it's_Early_O'clock and head to the Coyote Cantina, in Johnson Village, for the best breakfast burritos in Colorado.
From there we intend to head out for Williams Pass. Williams is not hard core by CarnageBV standards, but it ain't no scenic Sunday drive either.
The USFS strongly recommends that you do not go it alone and every rig be equipped with a winch. hhog4dc said he's up for it and anyone else who wants to go is welcome.

Sat night we are thinking about going up to Cottonwood Hot Spgs.

-Sun is open so far.

For those of you who are planning on roughing it, that weekend, be aware dispersed primitive camping is not allowed east of St Elmo along Chalk Creek. You must camp in USFS campgrounds. Camping is also not allowed on the road that goes past Iron Chest, you must continue on that road past the old Hancock town site before you are allowed to camp. There are 2 exceptions. 1) if you head south up the Antero/Baldwin trail off the main road or 2) head east to Mary Murphy off the Hancock road. Don't despair there is fantastic dispersed camping along the road heading to Tincup a few miles west of St. Elmo. Get there early Fri for the best spots.
Good info on the camping. Thank you.

So, will you be joining us for the sunday run? You are more than welcome, just curious.

Hopefully will get to meet you!
Old 05-31-2007, 10:09 PM
Contributing Member

Good camping info. THANK YOU. We will for sure do breakfast sat - and them something sunday together then!
Old 05-31-2007, 10:33 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by AxleIke
So, will you be joining us for the Sunday run? You are more than welcome, just curious.
Don't know yet. OCG....BTDT besides, on weekends, it can get gridlocked tighter than I25 at rush hour. Same with Holy Cross. We are going to do HC on a week day later that month.

Tried and failed on Iron Chest the last 2 years. If the rocks have settled into place and stop rolling we might be up for it.

We've never done Grizzly Gulch so that's a possibility.

Williams is a must do for us. It's only open for a few weeks in Aug and we missed the window by 1 day last year. We have got to tic it off our list to complete our Tour-Du-Alpine Tunnel (all the trails that circumnavigate the Alpine Tunnel)

Last edited by Jake94; 06-01-2007 at 12:08 AM.
Old 06-01-2007, 06:13 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Volcom
Nice! Are you going to leave early Friday towards CO?
Probably thursday.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:16 AM
Contributing Member

Don't know yet. OCG....BTDT besides
Sorry, don't follow. I'm guessing OCG is Old Chinamens Gulch. I don't konw what BTDT means?
Old 06-01-2007, 07:26 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Lysmachia

In the interest of not jacking the schism further... lets make sure we DO not meet for trail runs at Chalk Creek - and I also suggest an alternative meeting place after the trail other than Chalk Creek considering from what I have heard the campground management does not take well to visitors who have not paid....
Yeah good idea. I'll just be camping there, but I don't plan on attending any BBQ or raffle events.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:48 AM
Contributing Member

Well by the sound of it - there may not be any event now.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...&postcount=230

For the record I had nothing to do with the 2 week Ban - since I am involved in this tension I asked that I be removed from any discussion or decision about that issue.

At any rate I say we still go up as planned and have a good time.

Last edited by Lysmachia; 06-01-2007 at 09:56 AM.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:45 AM
Contributing Member

Well that's an interesting development.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:18 AM
Contributing Member

Well by the sound of it - there may not be any event now.
With your experience organizing "much larger" TTORA events, you should have no problem stepping up and taking over where Ric and I left off. Most of the work is already done.

By the way...
I SUPPORT BANNED RIC!!!

Last edited by HaveBlue; 06-05-2007 at 06:29 PM.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:52 AM
Contributing Member

Sorry, don't follow. I'm guessing OCG is Old Chinamens Gulch. I don't konw what BTDT means?
Yea OCG=Old Chinamen's Gulch.
BTDT= Been There, Done That.

I don't want to sound like I've got a stick up my a$$, or I'm dissing ya'll trail choices but we have a trip planned for every weekend in Aug.. The way gas prices are and the hoops we have to jump through to get the time off, we need to focus our time, $$ and energy on places we haven't been yet.

Anyway, sounds like you guys have captured the spirit of the founders of this weekends event. Go and enjoy. We will see you there, share a beer, stories and friendship. Perhaps roll with you on Sun.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:56 AM
Contributing Member

Yea OCG=Old Chinamen's Gulch.
BTDT= Been There, Done That.

I don't want to sound like I've got a stick up my a$$, or I'm dissing ya'll trail choices but we have a trip planned for every weekend in Aug.. The way gas prices are and the hoops we have to jump through to get the time off, we need to focus our time, $$ and energy on places we haven't been yet.

Anyway, sounds like you guys have captured the spirit of the founders of this weekends event. Go and enjoy. We will see you there, share a beer, stories and friendship. Perhaps roll with you on Sun.
Hey not a problem at all. I completely understand not wanting to run a trail you've done a bunch. We'll try and organize something else for sunday. Any recomendations?
Old 06-01-2007, 01:58 PM
Contributing Member

We'll try and organize something else for sunday.
By something "else", I hope you mean something in *addition to* and NOT *instead of* what you have planned. DO NOT change your plans on our account, go, be safe and most of all enjoy .

We are ALL adults, none of us are kindergarteners on a field trip. No-one needs to be lead around the woods, en-mass, strung together with a long piece of yarn tied to our wrists.

Last edited by Jake94; 06-01-2007 at 11:34 PM.
Old 06-01-2007, 06:20 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by HaveBlue
With your experience organizing "much larger" TTORA events, you should have no problem stepping up and taking over where Ric and I left off. Most of the work is already done.
If the logisitcs can be ironed out (they should be) I will take over and still hold the event. But it will be different to incorporate what we are doing here in this thread. Thanks! -Molly

Last edited by Lysmachia; 06-01-2007 at 06:23 PM.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:45 PM
Contributing Member

Ok guys since I have been asked to take over CO4RJ - I want to know if this group is willing to be incorporated into CO4RJ? My intention is to add all of the things that we wanted (and the reasons we made our own group) back into CO4RJ. It will be less policed, and less restrictive. My proposition is that you all would be invited to join us for after run dinners and the raffle - and you can camp where you want and run what you want.

What do you think?

The new CO4RJ thread is here.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f15/co4rj-2007-new-thread-under-new-managment-117149/

(But you can discuss your feelings on incorporation here)

Thanks - Molly
Old 06-01-2007, 07:54 PM
Contributing Member

Sounds great, all in favor say I:

I
Old 06-01-2007, 07:55 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It will be less policed, and less restrictive. My proposition is that you all would be invited to join us for after run dinners and the raffle - and you can camp where you want and run what you want.
I'm not sure that's such a great idea. Yotatech is a quite diverse community and everyone needs to respect that. I think there should be NO tolerance for people being rowdy in the family area, for example.

But yeah, if you meant that people who don't want to stay at Chalk Creek, don't have to, and expanding the choice of trails, I agree.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:03 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by tc
I'm not sure that's such a great idea. Yotatech is a quite diverse community and everyone needs to respect that. I think there should be NO tolerance for people being rowdy in the family area, for example.

But yeah, if you meant that people who don't want to stay at Chalk Creek, don't have to, and expanding the choice of trails, I agree.
That's exactly what I meant Troy. Thanks for the clarification. (The "well Duh!" Rules still apply). Like Tread lightly, and stuff like that!
Old 06-01-2007, 08:34 PM
Contributing Member

I think there should be seperate areas.

I find no problem there being a rowdy crowd, and i find no problem with the family crowd. I think they should be kept seperate. This facilitates a good time for all.

First, it should be found out if any of the previous applicants want to go.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:39 PM

"I"

To me it's pretty simple... Chalk Creek is a "family" campground with rules (as any pay to camp place is)- if you can't abide by their rules you probably should stay elsewhere.

john

Quick Reply: Buena Vista area - August 10th-12th