Notices
Buying & Selling Advice - Feeler/Gauging Interest This general forum is for those seeking information about buying, model features/differences, pricing to sell, and related advice

Looking at a 94 4x4 (Have some questions)

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 04:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking at a 94 4x4 (Have some questions)

Hello out there Yota folks.......

I'm a Subaru guy (94 Loyale 232k) who is in now in need of a truck. This weekend I'm looking at a 1994 Toyota 4x4 Truck. Ads says it's a 1/2 ton, 5 speed, with a 2.4L 4-cyl EFI Engine. I've searched quite a bit and found this forum to be full of fantastic info and if I purchase this truck I'm sure I'll be her quite a bit. I want to make sure of a few things before I go look at the truck..

The 2.4L 4-cyl EFI Engine is a 22RE correct?
If that's true that means it has a timing chain not a belt correct?
That also means it's one hell of a reliable engine from what I read....
Do these trucks go by any other model name or just a 94 Toyota 1/2 ton truck? (I know there are T100's and that the Tacoma came a year later but I haven't seen any name for this model I'm looking at)
When I go to look at it is there anything particular to these trucks that I should be looking at? (obviously rust, and all the normal things to look for in buying a used vehicle) I mean things more like in the V6 there was a head gasket problem, things like that for the 94 with a 4-banger...
Also is there anyway to check on the condition of the timing chain without taking the cover off? I know if it sounds bad it's bad but other than that. The truck has low miles but it's old enough that I'm worried about the pulleys and track.....I'm not sure if I should be replacing that stuff preventively or if the truck will give me enough notice in terms of making noises to let me know to change it.......... Wow long first post, lots of questions, sorry/thanks for any and all info

-Mike
Old 01-18-2011, 08:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome

Welcome to Yotatech!

The 2.4L 4-cyl EFI Engine is a 22RE correct?
YES

If that's true that means it has a timing chain not a belt correct?
Yaah, it has a timing chain

That also means it's one hell of a reliable engine from what I read....
Yah! Its pretty much bulletproof .. doesnt die ... just oil changes n valve clearance checks

Do these trucks go by any other model name or just a 94 Toyota 1/2 ton truck? (I know there are T100's and that the Tacoma came a year later but I haven't seen any name for this model I'm looking at)
1994 Toyota Pickup
http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/de...a&model=Pickup

When I go to look at it is there anything particular to these trucks that I should be looking at? (obviously rust, and all the normal things to look for in buying a used vehicle) I mean things more like in the V6 there was a head gasket problem, things like that for the 94 with a 4-banger...

I will let someone else answer that but sometimes the timing chain gets loose. Ask the owner if the it was ever replaced. Valve clearance was done, etc.

As for checking the condition of the timing chain. Just watch this video to get an idea of how a broken timing chain sounds like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYL3h_eUjk0

Also, my 22re sounds much like a diesel with all the clicking / clacking ... so its perfectly normal .. just needs valve clearance.

Read the Yotatech FAQ: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...-first-214051/

And Pirate4x4 FAQ: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=775780

Good luck with your search!

Last edited by hgill; 01-18-2011 at 08:55 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:42 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
nice! welcome to Yota Tech and good luck on the Yota purchase. fortunately for us, these trucks ARE super reliable and usually don't have problems. if they do, you'll most likely know.

pretty much just look for the normal stuff you'd look for in buying a used vehicle. if that thing is running well and relatively smooth then you should be all good. you didn't say mileage but if there are lots of miles, check to see if its had any rebuilds vs a couple 100k miles on original parts. most likely it's running fairly well, or it would hopefully be stated in the ad, so you shouldn't have to worry about that. if it's a dirt cheap truck and has engine issues or tons of miles on it, a remanned longblock is around $1500.

some things to check out when looking at the truck is first to see if it has been modified in any way, especially in the lift/offroad department. personally, i wouldn't recommend buying a vehicle that's got offroad modifications unless i know the owner who did it and how they used/abused it offroad, if at all. lots of variables here, but lift and big tires tend to mean that the truck saw dirt in some form, so look closely. look for any steering play or abnormal tire wear to see if there are any alignment issues. could be worn steering parts like the idler arm, ball joints, etc. they're easy items to address and great to learn from, but still are things that need to be addressed. another common issue is "saggy butt syndrome" - toyotas seem to be notorious for the rear springs sagging over the years. there are plenty of threads on this topic. look for any leaks on the brake master cyl, clutch master cyl (inside the truck and out), slave cyl. these are all issues that you'd expect from a 15+ year old truck, but might be good for bargaining.

if you do pick up the truck, you might find there are things that have been neglected over the years and need attention. YT is a great place to research and as your questions about all these issues. the search function works awesome, so just start using it and absorb as much info as you possibly can - and enjoy your Yota!
Old 01-18-2011, 09:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bro, welcome to the board, check the oil, check the radiator fluid, check the smog papers and drive it home. Great motors.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:40 AM

Thanks for the input guys. This truck doesn't have any off-road mods and I'm not looking for one that does. This is mostly going to be a farm truck that can head into town to pick-up supplies or take occasional longer trips and not totally kill me on gas. Just looking for a smaller 4x4 truck that will be reliable and that I can work on myself. I was looking at older Nissan Hardbodies, Rangers, and S10's and while I'm not really opposed to any of those but the Toyota with the 22re is high on my list of preference. I'm checking this truck out Saturday, hopefully all is well...
Old 01-19-2011, 06:08 AM

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
Check the frame for rust/rot. These trucks have an full box frame and the inside side of the uptube, where the front spring hanger for the rear axle, are notorious for rust and rot. Stick you hand up between the frame and the gas tank and along the inner frame wall near the tubular crossbrace directly above the rear axle.
Starting on '95 models there was a huge recall on frame rot. This isn't a death rattle for your truck if you're handy with a welder, but if you're not... well you might want to let this one go.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:13 AM

Yea living in the North-East I'm unfortunately familiar with rust and its lack of sleeping....
My 94 Loyale lived in California for most its life and since moving here the body has deteriorated fairly quickly...
I'll be checking this baby out for rust pretty throughly.....