FJ Cruiser 2007 & on

HELP! Fellow Toy Enthusiasts; sell me on a FJ

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 05:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation HELP! Fellow Toy Enthusiasts; sell me on a FJ

First off... I've owned Toyota cars and trucks since 1980 and I love them so I don't need to be sold on the brand.

Anyhow, I buy a new Toy when the old one is roughly 10 years old and/or has 250,000 miles on the odometer. My '97 4Runner is fast approaching both milestone, so I'm again in the market for it's replacement.

I've been lusting over the FJ Cruiser ever since the first concept pics were splashed across my PC screen a few years ago and now that platform is available at my local Toy dealership.

Well, this past Saturday, I dropped my 4Runner by the Toy dealer for it's 225k mile service and since it ALWAYS takes at least an hour for anything to be done in the dealer's garage, I decided to start looking at my options to replace the 4Runner.

Important Considerations:
1. Reasonably roomy to carry 4 adults on an occasional basis
2. COMFORTABLE SEATING!!! (this is because my 4R seats SUCK, esp on trips over 8 hrs long - which I do twice a year
3. Off road capable with 4x4
4. A nice array of gadgets

With this list in mind, I got my salesman to give me the keys to a blue FJ 4x4 automatic that was pretty much loaded out and the wife and I went for a test drive.

Things I liked/noticed:
1. POWER!!! Damn! The FJ was peppy... nothing like my 3rd gen 4R
2. Styling - Unique look... functional
3. Interior room - at least up front... I didn't have anyone in the back seat
4. Rack looked functional

Things I didn't like:
1. Passenger seat NOT COMFTY! It was as bad as my 4R seat.
2. Side mirrors seem too small width wise.
3. No power mirror control - maybe I didn't know where to look for it but if there isn't one that sucks.. esp on a $30+k new car.
4. No roll down rear window - I use my 4R's a lot for loading and unloading
5. Stereo sounded cheezy.
6. WTF is up with the non-locking gas cap!!!! This is the 21st century for chrissakes!!! Helloooo 1975.

After taking the FJ for a spin in city driving, the interstate and back roads, I found a construction site where they were building a new extension to the interstate and played off road... what a capable little rig. The sales guy was not happy when we brought the FJ back looking, what I thought, very respectable with some mud on her.

After returning the FJ, I got the keys to a new 4th Gen 4Runner and took it out for the same drive. I felt that there wasn’t really enough difference/upgrade from my 3rd gen to warrant it's purchase.

I want to test drive a 4 door Taco 4x4 before I make up my mind. I really, really, really want to like the FJ but I'm just not there yet and that's where you all come in!

Convince me to go for it!

Thx!
Old 10-24-2006, 11:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dude, the first two criteria are comfort and seating for 4. Of all the things I would say about the FJ's, those are not anywhere on the list.

It is a 2 door with folding cabooses. At 6'5" and 260 I will ride 8 hours in the rear of a 3rd Gen with a similarly sized person, have done it often with my 6'2" 200 pound brother. I struggle to get into the rear of an FJ.

Single guy, guy who usually has one other passenger or occasionally more, like Corey, FJ no worries. Multiple people, long trips and wheeling, 4th Gen all day.
Old 10-24-2006, 11:50 AM
Contributing Member

Upgrade to the 4th gen v8 full time setup and call it a day. It's got the same bells and whistles that the FJ would have (w/o the rear locker) but that's something that can always be added later on. It also comes with all of the creature comfort that you desire so I think this is a done deal.

Good luck
Old 10-24-2006, 12:05 PM
Contributing Member

heres the way i look at it , if you werent convinced by your own test drive then its not the rg for you.
power mirrors it does have, locking gas ca pavailble for $16.00.
if you thought the auto was peppey try a 6 speed, i almost didnt get my fj after first test driving an auto, then i drove the stick and was very happy.
as far as comfortable seats , it took me a while to dial my drivers to my comfortable, as far as the passsenger seat i wouldnt know becasue i never sit over there .
on my test drive i had my bigger brother 6 foot 265 lbs , with me ,and i asked him how it was in the back and he said it was comfotable , so i dont know what other people are used too, maybe they get shuttled around in a 8 series bmw, but to each his own.

the roll down window issue i think will up set some people , but ohh well. if it was perfect everyone would own one. lol

like i sadi though , if you hadnt fallen in love with it by the time you stepped out from your test drive then it really probasbly isnt the rig youre going ot choose.
i love mine.

airrikk17
Old 10-24-2006, 12:15 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Maybe a pic can convince you

or two

or three

I am so glad I bought mine Nate, it is so much fun to drive, and the power of the 4.0 blows me away.

I find it very comfortable to drive.
Pick up issue #2 of the FJ magazine at your dealer.
Lots of off road pics in this issue.

Yeah, no locking gas cap or door, but if you look on my website in the mods section, you will see the first mod I did.
http://www.pnw4runners.com/fjc/mods/modindex.htm
Old 10-24-2006, 12:16 PM

Good points guys...

I really wanna love the FJ and with $7k in mods I think I could.

Agreed that the 4th gen 4R makes sense, however, it's just too similar to my 3rd gen for my liking.

The FJ does have one other advantage going for it... my wife wants me to get one. Yeah, that's right... not so she can drive it either, noooo... she wants my 4Runner freed up so she can use it to haul her mountian bike/kayak and stuff whenever she wants to, instead of loading it all up in her 05' Celica.

*edit: Is there a leather option available yet?? I loves me some leather seats both for comfort and wear.

Last edited by Nate C; 10-24-2006 at 12:19 PM.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:18 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It all depends on what you want, I couldnt ever own the new FJ-just to small for me. The FJ60 is the size I would need, if you dont need space then the FJ is fine.

Honestly I like the tacomas, tundras and the v8 runners better b/c of the space they give you. I have a 96 T100 and although the back is a bit cramped it is decently comfy for a fullsize adult and although peppy the truck is undeprowered-but the mpg is good. Comparable to a x-cab tundra imho minus the engine.

Get what feels right to you, thats the only way to do it.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:20 PM

WOW!!! Nice photos Corey!

those non-stock ties make a HUGE difference!!!
Old 10-24-2006, 12:35 PM
Contributing Member

ive seen some after market leather seat replacement covers on ebay , but i have no idea what kind of quality they are.

i also owned a 96 t-100 and if you think theres enough room i nthe rear , then theres definitly enough room in the rear of a fjc.

better watch out if she wants the 4runner to haul her gear , she may just take the fj , the roof rack is fully capable of hauling all said gear too.

heres a link to my fj cruiser pics with lift , front bumper and wheels and tires
www.photos.yahoo.com/mrairrikk

it might make you wanna try out that manual 6 speed, jsut for giggles at least.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:38 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Nate, my dealer had one customized with leather, but I think it would be a waste.
These FJ seats are waterproof.
They are made that way for cleaning up after off roading, hence the lack of carpet too.
It truly is designed to be the next gen off road vehicle.

In that new issue of the Toyota mag at the dealer I mentioned above, a guy with a heavily modified 80 series was blown away that a stock FJ was going everywhere he was going on some run in Dakota.

Just a few more pics to taunt ya
The front as you know has plenty of room.
I am 5'9", and I have about 6" above my head.

If you do not plan on carrying a lotta of passengers in the back, I would not worry.
Good thing too is the aftermarket is coming on so strong with toys for the FJ.

Old 10-24-2006, 02:06 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nate, I'm impressed with your list of needs/wants and your observations from a short test drive. A few comments from a former 3rd Gen, 4th Gen and current FJC owner:

-- The driver's seat is at least comparable to a 4th Gen, which means miles ahead of a 3rd Gen. The foam is firmer, giving better support. I find no unusual pressure points after all day in the saddle. The stock 5-ply laminate seat covers are holding up very well, are breathable and waterproof as Corey wrote. I prefer them over leather. I don't know why the passenger seat would be any different except for fewer adjustments like height.

-- Right you are about the mirrors. $4, 3" adjustable convex mirrors fix it.

-- You prolly saw that the rear window opens with a twist of the key. It doesn't retract into the door, but swings up on gas struts for easy loading. Unloading isn't as easy since you have to get past the spare, but the design is still far more useful than fixed glass.

-- Save your mod money and $1,500 off MSRP compared to a loaded UR package FJC and order a TRD SE. I posted about it's content and price in another thread here. It's what I'm doing in January. Resale will be exceptional, definitely exclusive and no warranty worries with factory mods. I only wish it were all white instead of all black. Oh well, I'll keep a good coat of Griot's wax on, it helps.

Edit: I learned last weekend while being chased up a mile high mountain road that the 5A/T leaves little if anything to be desired in on-road performance. Off-road, I found myself wanting an A/T during the slowest speed most technical stuff. Overall, I still prefer the 6M/T for the full-time system useful in my rainy climate and will get another in the SE to improve resale since only 20% of the SE's will be M/T's. IOW, you give up little while gaining fuel economy, seems like 1-2 mpg according to real world reports, compared to the M/T. Of course the M/T has standard RR locker that is optional in the A/T except for SE where it's standard on both.

Last edited by BT17R; 10-24-2006 at 03:19 PM.
Old 10-24-2006, 02:23 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Nate, have you seen what a totaly stock FJ can do too, even with the stock crap tires?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5KyVaeeW54
Old 10-24-2006, 09:02 PM

Great SUV, I absolutely love mine. Takes me and my gear everywhere I want to go, there's room for friends and it's easy to clean. I could go on all day and night but others have already stressed the strong points enough.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:26 AM

Thanks for the comments guys!

A local friend of mine bought a black FJ back in March and here's his comments:

The only thing I don't like is the poor visibility caused by the C-pillars.
Although it's not really important to me, I'm told it's a chore to get in and out of the rear seats, which could be an issue since you have kids.
Yeah, I have 2 teens to haul but I am keeping my 4Runner so it can be used for that. My wife got her Celica just so she wouldn't have to haul kids to and from the mall...

I am really tilting towards the FJ. Especially since my salesman is a good friend and offered me $1000 off sticker. Whatever that means.

I am intersted in the TRD SE FJ, but not at all crazy about the black color.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:34 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

If you plan on modding the FJ with a lift in the future, the TRD package would do nothing for you then that comes with the SE one.

You would just be taking off the TRD shocks to replace them with Old Man Emu or whatever coil/shock brand you switch over to if you plan on lifting it or improving the ride.

I also am hip on the two tone color scheme, it has really grown on me.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Corey
If you plan on modding the FJ with a lift in the future, the TRD package would do nothing for you then that comes with the SE one.

You would just be taking off the TRD shocks to replace them with Old Man Emu or whatever coil/shock brand you switch over to if you plan on lifting it or improving the ride.

I also am hip on the two tone color scheme, it has really grown on me.
I agree.. I do like the white roof... it was one of the things I love about the truck.

And yes, I can see me ditching the rims/shocks/tires for something better and I can really see me HATING the black paint!!!

So.. I see I can save $7k by not getting the TRD SE and appling the cash towards mods... and getting a nicely equipped stocker FJ in silver (since white is not an option and light colors hide scratches better).
Old 10-25-2006, 10:12 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

I was ticked at first when I found out they did not make a pure white one.
Afterall, my first three Toys were all white.
I gave up on the FJ for a bit until I started seeing more on the 'Net and then placed my order.

I do have to say that the silver has also grown on me, and it just darkened up as of last Friday.

Took the day off work to get rid of the pin striping I picked up the weekend before, and I did something different.
I normaly just use the Griot's claybar with the Porter Cable and then wax with it and the Best Of Show wax.

This time after I clayed I had to use Griot's Machine Polish #3 to get the scratches out, and the paint took on a deeper/darker hue.
It looks better than the first time I waxed it after I bought it.

The silver does look cleaner too even when there is a lot of dirt on it.

So how much more arm twisting are we and your wife gonna have to do to get you into one

Here are some more pics for you to think upon Nate
http://www.4wdtoyotaowner.com/FJCruiser.html
7th picture down is Hells Gate, and same hill that Miss FJ in the video I posted above took her stocker up.
Old 10-25-2006, 01:37 PM

I am dropping by my local dearship this eve to talk turkey on a SE...

yeah, i can always take the stuff off and sell it on eBay or I can trade it out next year for a convertable softtop!

I was hesitant on the passenger seat comfort thing because my wife hates my 4Runner's seat, but she told me today not to worry about it and that if I liked the FJ, then I should have it.

Last edited by Nate C; 10-25-2006 at 01:44 PM.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:45 AM

Well... I think I will pull the trigger and put a $1k deposit down on a TRD SE.

Not very crazy about the black, but I figure it's a good deal and since it's a limited production run, I can sell it next year if there's an FJ out that I like better.

Old 10-26-2006, 10:14 AM
Contributing Member

Congrats, we want pics when you get it!!

Quick Reply: HELP! Fellow Toy Enthusiasts; sell me on a FJ