FJ Cruiser 2007 & on

FJ Debate

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 09:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by WillsFJC
I'm not getting fired up, it just sounds to me like you're denouncing the thing as some god awful piece of crap, in reality no it's not an offroad monster, nor will it be but out of the box it'll out wheel most other stock stuff on the market.
When I say Toyota won't offer straight axle stuff I mean in the US market. Comparing vehicles that are marketed here to ones in Europe/Australia is moot since we can't easily access them.
My mention of the 100 series is to show that modern vehicles on the market today still do have SFA, lockers, etc. It isn't like it is impossible. Why not shorten the frame and drop the FJC onto that running gear when they created it, rather than the 4runner? With coils it rides nice enough for any mom and can still wheel enough for any wheeler.
Once again, since you missed it the last couple times, I AM NOT DENOUNCING THE FJ AS A PEICE OF CRAP, I am saying that it is not as great a wheeler as Toyota claims it is, I am saying that it is not created by toyota to BE a wheeler in the sense of the Rubicon even though they seem to imply that it is, it is created to be another average SUV, with a couple options to entice wheelers. I just feel that we all get sucked into their claims that this is the end all be all wheeler, when it is really nothing more amazing than any other Toyota with a locker, they just took it off road more than the Tacoma or 4Runner when advertising.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:07 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also haven't read anywhere on this board saying that the FJ is almighty and nobody ever said it could outwheel a built truck. Most are just saying it's a decent weekend warrior that can haul you around in decent comfort for the rest of the week and if you want it to be a trailmaster then the aftermarket will take care of that.

It just seems some people are haters of the FJ and this is a dumb argument on a pro Toyota board since nearly all here know what the limitations of the FJ are.

I don't have delusions of grandeur of my Runner and I respect it's limitations but I also appreciate that it's a decent DD that looks good and I can still haul my family around and pick up dates in reasonable comfort for a night on the town and that's what the FJ can do also.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by X-AWDriver
I also haven't read anywhere on this board saying that the FJ is almighty and nobody ever said it could outwheel a built truck. Most are just saying it's a decent weekend warrior that can haul you around in decent comfort for the rest of the week and if you want it to be a trailmaster then the aftermarket will take care of that.

It just seems some people are haters of the FJ and this is a dumb argument on a pro Toyota board since nearly all here know what the limitations of the FJ are.

I don't have delusions of grandeur of my Runner and I respect it's limitations but I also appreciate that it's a decent DD that looks good and I can still haul my family around and pick up dates in reasonable comfort for a night on the town and that's what the FJ can do also.
I heard it is great for bringing the kids to soccer too. This argument is dumb, you are correct. However, I don't think people do know the limitations of the FJ and I think people do regard it as an awesome wheeler. I am not an FJ hater, I am an FJ realist.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:19 AM
Contributing Member

Where on this board has their been proposterous statements about the FJ? Gimme some quotes or threads.
I still think this board is one of the most realistic about their chosen vehicles than nearly any other forums out there.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:35 AM

Where on this board has their been proposterous statements about the FJ? Gimme some quotes or threads.
I still think this board is one of the most realistic about their chosen vehicles than nearly any other forums out there.
Exactly.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:51 AM

Where on this forum have people been honest about the weaknesses of the FJ and realized that it is not the amazing wheeler Toyota claims it is?
Old 07-25-2006, 11:08 AM
Contributing Member

Give the truck a break (no pun intended) since it's a little bit too knew for people to have properly thrashed on it and I'm sure ther will be honesty on this board and I think i've already seen trail damage posted on this board and links to some issues with the FJ and like said show me some proof where people were dishonest about their FJ.

I think this is a weak argument and is now tainting this thread so maybe start another since this is still a good topic for when something does go wrong and we'll have something to discuss. I'm serious about another thread since a title ribbing FJ owners will make them maybe prove you wrong or right.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:34 AM

Give the truck a break (no pun intended) since it's a little bit too knew for people to have properly thrashed on it and I'm sure ther will be honesty on this board and I think i've already seen trail damage posted on this board and links to some issues with the FJ and like said show me some proof where people were dishonest about their FJ.

I think this is a weak argument and is now tainting this thread so maybe start another since this is still a good topic for when something does go wrong and we'll have something to discuss. I'm serious about another thread since a title ribbing FJ owners will make them maybe prove you wrong or right.
Agreed, perhaps a mod can move all the "FJ's are for soccer mom's" discussion posts to their own thread where we can continue this.
I will search around and find instances of people being amazed at what the FJ can do, but it will have to wait for Monday, all my non-work spare time is going to getting my rig ready for Paragon this weekend! BTW, the FJ trail team will be there, so perhaps I will have a chance to blow a rear end on one. (Not that they would let me do anything hard with it probably, but, ya know.)
Old 07-25-2006, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Intrepid
Where on this forum have people been honest about the weaknesses of the FJ and realized that it is not the amazing wheeler Toyota claims it is?
I get the vibe a lot around here that because people have an FJ, they are some kind of OG wheeler, when they are mostly noobs trying edge into the sport while trying to avoid the typical noob steroetype. SOrry, but I get this vibea lot here, it mgiht not be what is actually going on, and I never wanted to ruin anyones excitment over a new vehicle, but now that interpid has pointed it out, I have no problem speaking up.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:41 PM

2003 4runner:

Running ground clearance 9"
Approach angle (degrees) 31
Departure angle (degrees) 24
Breakover angle (degrees) 28

2007 FJ Cruiser:

Running ground clearance 9.6 in.
Approach angle 34 degrees
Departure angle 30 degrees
Breakover Angle 27.4 degrees

So the only major difference between the newest off road god and the family hauler is the departure angle.
Originally Posted by JHupp
By the way, your FJ is a 4th gen 4runner with a locker, and sliders, and better departure/approach angles.
:bigclap:
Old 07-25-2006, 12:41 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Well I sure as hell hope you do not think that about me.
I own an FJ Crusier with 21 miles on it, and I am not a newb to wheeling.

In fact I have been wheeling probably longer than a majorty of members on here before they were born, or just a glimmer in daddy's eye.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Corey
Well I sure as hell hope you do not think that about me.
I own an FJ Crusier with 21 miles on it, and I am not a newb to wheeling.

In fact I have been wheeling probably longer than a majorty of members on here before they were born, or just a glimmer in daddy's eye.
No, I do not sir. That is just the general feeling I get from a lot of the FJ memebrs. I have the utmost respect for you, and this awesome site. And I hold nothing against any vehicle, if you have a truck, any truck, and wheel it, I am that much happier. I have wheeled with a KIA sportage before and had a good time. I just agree with intrepid that is hyped up a little too much, and some members here tend to feed into it. If you want me to delete any of my posts, or if I came off to strong, I will delete them, and or apologize. I'm not going to beat a dead horse, and I have refrained from speaking up for a while, it doesnt really matter to me one way or another, but this is the feeling I get.

Last edited by JHupp; 07-25-2006 at 12:51 PM.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:51 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I get the vibe a lot around here that because people have an FJ, they are some kind of OG wheeler, when they are mostly noobs trying edge into the sport while trying to avoid the typical noob steroetype. SOrry, but I get this vibea lot here, it mgiht not be what is actually going on, and I never wanted to ruin anyones excitment over a new vehicle, but now that interpid has pointed it out, I have no problem speaking up.
Ok, there's really no need to be destructive for no useful purpose...

The FJ's are a good vehicle, and quite capable off-road. Stop whining about it because you don't have one. :cry:

The fact is it's a Toyota, it's got cool retro styling, and is an excellent starting point for anyone who wants to mod it out and make it their own. How many stock 4Runners do you see wheeling like crazy?

Jeez...

Old 07-25-2006, 12:59 PM

If you want me to delete any of my posts, or if I came off to strong, I will delete them, and or apologize. I'm not going to beat a dead horse, and I have refrained from speaking up for a while, it doesnt really matter to me one way or another, but this is the feeling I get.
I'm trying my best not to knock anyone or be destructive, please read my whole post.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:03 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 4runner:

Running ground clearance 9"
Approach angle (degrees) 31
Departure angle (degrees) 24
Breakover angle (degrees) 28

2007 FJ Cruiser:

Running ground clearance 9.6 in.
Approach angle 34 degrees
Departure angle 30 degrees
Breakover Angle 27.4 degrees

So the only major difference between the newest off road god and the family hauler is the departure angle.
This is a worthless comparison, because anyone knows that the diffferences are more than just approach, departure, and breakover angles...

What about wheelbase? Turning radius? Power to weight ratio? Center of Gravity? Crawl ratio? There are obviously many things that differentiate the FJ from the 4Runner (duh).

And by the way, I don't think many 4th gen 4Runner owners would take kindly to you thinking of the newest 4Runner as the soccer-mom family hauler, they are just as capable off-road as any other stock 4Runner, if not more so.

I would swear a bunch of Heep guys jumped on here to start smashing any Toyota they can think of...

Is it so hard to be happy for Corey and his new FJ? What turned this in to an FJ smashing competition?!!

Old 07-26-2006, 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by mastacox
This is a worthless comparison, because anyone knows that the diffferences are more than just approach, departure, and breakover angles...

What about wheelbase? Turning radius? Power to weight ratio? Center of Gravity? Crawl ratio? There are obviously many things that differentiate the FJ from the 4Runner (duh).

And by the way, I don't think many 4th gen 4Runner owners would take kindly to you thinking of the newest 4Runner as the soccer-mom family hauler, they are just as capable off-road as any other stock 4Runner, if not more so.

I would swear a bunch of Heep guys jumped on here to start smashing any Toyota they can think of...

Is it so hard to be happy for Corey and his new FJ? What turned this in to an FJ smashing competition?!!

First, obviously there is more to compare, however, that was typed in relation to the only thing that anyone on here could tell me that Toyota had done to the FJ to make it more "off roadable" than anything else in their line up.
Second, noone is "smashing" the FJ, for about the 20th time, I am just saying that it is not the amazing, end all-be all wheeler Toyota claims it is.
Third, noone was doing any name calling here until you had to start with the accusations of being heep owners, don't make me call you an H2 owner!
Third, this thread wasn't about Corey's FJ, I congratulated him already in the thread he made about having gotten it, so relax yourself. We hijacked a thread about roof color! :pat:
Fourth, I don't think any 4runner owners would take too kindly to my calling everyone but a 1st gen a soccer mom mobile!
Old 07-26-2006, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by mastacox

(plays music from simon says, by pharoe monche) I also congratulated Corey, and AGAIN, I am not bashing FJ cruisers, I just see a lot of people with sever N.C.S, new car symdrome(where you think your car is the best thing out there because it's new)

Some of these specs are hard to dig up, but here is what I can gather, the compariosn is a 2006 4Runner and a 2007 FJ Cruiser

Turning radius(from Toyota.com)

FJ Cruiser
41.8ft

4Runner
37.4ft

Gear Ratios

Auto 4runner
Automatic five-speed transmission with lock-up, electronic control, shift lever on floor,
3.52:1 first gear ratio,
2.042:1 second gear ratio,
1.4:1 third gear ratio,
1:1 fourth gear ratio,
0.716:1 fifth gear ratio and
3.727 Final

Auto FJ
Automatic five-speed transmission with mode select, lock-up, electronic control, shift lever on floor,
3.52:1 first gear ratio,
2.042:1 second gear ratio,
1.4:1 third gear ratio,
1:1 fourth gear ratio,
0.716:1 fifth gear ratio
3.727 Final

I could not find specs on the manual, surely it will be geared lower, but the tradeoff is it will be harder to drive offroad. So if you want to get technical, that is another argument in itself, but one possible plus is that the FJ cruiser has a stick, which I personally would not want, but some people could.

Crawl Ratio

I could not find a crawl ratio for the 2006 4runner

FJ Cruiser
33.76:1

Horsepower
I would not go there because the 4runner has an optional 260hp and 300 ftlbs v8 whereas the FJ does not, I could not find weights, but trust me, the FJ doesnt make it up in being that much lighter.The FJ makes 238hp and 278ftlbs with the 6. But to be FAIR, both base will have the exact same v6, SO, they make the same power and torque.

Curb Weight (from Toyota.com)

FJ Cruiser

4Runner SR5 4wd

An astonishing 10lbs....

Conclusion

As stated before, we can go on and on all day, but the FJ is just a 4th gen 4runner with sliders and a locker. Hey, I'll admit a stock 3rd gen is definately a soccer mom car, and a stock 4th gen definately is too. Now, we can argue allllllllll day long, but the numbers clearly show it, the FJ and 4runner are so similar.

Real trucks are built, not bought

SO for everyone out there that wants to buy a brand new anything, and say look at me, I'm such a bad offroader, I get angry at that, that is the vibe I get from people that own H2s, and more and more the vibe I get from new FJ owners. But I am not singling anyone out. I hate when people do this with anything. Just check out the 10 page long flames with people with stock SRT4s on speedlounge that try this. I hate when anyone does it!

Don't get me wrong either, I like the idea of the FJ, all those retro styling clues from the white roof to the color keyed inetrio panels, I just tend to think that people tend to get a little carried away with all that. I think it is a cool ride, but some people let it go their head.

edit: added horse

Last edited by JHupp; 07-26-2006 at 09:46 AM.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:44 AM

Members here take pride in their vehicles, not just for what it is, but for what it could be. Nobody here is going to take pride in someone calling their vehicle a grocery getter, and the people who do so are out to accomplish nothing good or constructive. It's a joke at first which most can take, but persistance suggests the offender has an ulterior motive. One could use that logic to deduce that flaming was taking place. And of course, flaming is against our rules.

I urge members to continue this pointless debate with caution, or get back on topic.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Churnd
Members here take pride in their vehicles, not just for what it is, but for what it could be. Nobody here is going to take pride in someone calling their vehicle a grocery getter, and the people who do so are out to accomplish nothing good or constructive. It's a joke at first which most can take, but persistance suggests the offender has an ulterior motive. One could use that logic to deduce that flaming was taking place. And of course, flaming is against our rules.

I urge members to continue this pointless debate with caution, or get back on topic.
If I refer to your vehicle as a grocery getter, I wouldn't be too offended, keep in mind that I refer to mine as "junk" all the time, but I love it. If I mock your bling side steps...well.... Unfortunately, some people, rather than viewing this discussion as one which could raise valid information, turn a blind eye and pretend like it is a waste of time and not constructive, but I don't think that is the case. If someone is looking for flaming because they are eager to use their power, then they will find it, regardless of what is typed, so don't assume something based on your assumptions. I don't know what "ulterior motive" someone might have by calling it a grocery getter, I love Toyota's just as much as everyone else here, so don't get all offended and refer to this discussion as useless, blah, blah, blah just because you are too blinded to be interested in getting down to the bare facts about what a vehicle is and isn't. It occured to me that there are probably good points about the FJC, such as, it may be the only Toyota truck that comes with A Trac AND a rear locker AND a slider option. So far, people assume I am insulting the FJC because I hate it and want a jeep or something, which is not the case. I stare at them longingly when I see them on the highway just the same as everyone else. Why not look at it honestly and defend your vehicle with some facts rather than accusations. I would gladly be proven wrong by FJ owners and shown the multitude of ways that the FJ is so much better than the rest of the Toyota line.
I do agree with JHupp that the big bad off roader attitude of H2 owners does seem to be a bit contageous, prove to me that there is a reason for it.

BTW Churnd, perhaps your super moderator power could move this convo to it's own topic so as to end the hi-jack of your thread. (BTW, not flaming, it says "super moderator" under your name, remember)

Last edited by Intrepid; 07-26-2006 at 09:15 AM.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Churnd
One could use that logic to deduce that flaming was taking place. And of course, flaming is against our rules.

edited out my grecry getter comment, sorry dude

I do agree with JHupp that the big bad off roader attitude of H2 owners does seem to be a bit contageous, prove to me that there is a reason for it.
Thanks! I'm glad someone sees my point here. On speedlounge we refer to it a N.C.S. or N.V.S. new car/vehicle syndrome.

Last edited by JHupp; 07-26-2006 at 09:49 AM.

Quick Reply: FJ Debate