FJ Cruiser 2007 & on

deer vs fj cruiser

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 02:04 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
deer vs fj cruiser

well, tonight on my way home from work , a deer decided to hit my fj cruiser, 58 mph, killed the deer , and wrecked my truck.
heres a link to the pics i took , i need to retake them , i didnt turn on my flash so most of them look dark.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mrairr...rikk/my_photos

going to the insurance office tomorrow to see what my options are, already got the claim started and had the state trooper come out and make a damage claim form, and he took pics also.

ill keep you up to date on how it goes.

what really sucks is i just not even 24 hours prior had ordered my winch bumper from fab four , which i thin kwould have saved 90 % of the damage, and tonight i get home and check my email and i have a traking number for it LOL.
it might actualy help in paying for my deductiable though , since they wont have to install the stock bumper but include it in the estimate.

airrikk17
Old 09-13-2006, 02:22 AM
Contributing Member

Looks like your new bumper is gonna cover most of the damage like you said. Did it damage anything in the engine bay like your radiator?
Old 09-13-2006, 02:49 AM
Contributing Member

so far from jsut looking it over , it looks to be all superficial stuff , no damage to any radiators , glass or lenses.
i havent opened the hood for fear it may not close i figure the body shop guys can do it , and the pasenger side door doesnt open with out catching the fender.
my biggest fear is the door, the fender, bumper and posibly the hood are going to need replaced , so is the lower grill. the headlight surrond , the grey part seems to be intact , but i wont know for sure until tomorrow morning.
i dorve it home after doing the report with idaho state patrol, no fluid leaks , and only a little bit of rubbing from whats left over of the bumper.

i do have ot say , im glad i had my new tires on though, i think the stock tires would have ruptured, and id be out there putting on the spare.

i took more pics with the flash on, but they still seem really dark to me , so tomorrow morn before i go to the insurance office and body shop ill take more pics outside my shop.

airrikk17

airrikk17
Old 09-13-2006, 03:31 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Sorry to hear that, hope the FJ gets fixed soon.
It may take a while to get in parts like doors, give it awhile.

Deer are beautiful creatures, but they are also some of the most dumbest animals.
They cause quite a few accidents.

I have almost hit a few too up in Mount Rainier National Park.

I am sure the aftermarket bumper would have saved you from most damage.
I have seen rigs that hit deer dead on with ARB bumpers, and not a scratch on the rig, and mainly just bambi blood on the bumper.
Old 09-13-2006, 04:18 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't know if its true, but I was told to tell the ins the deer hit you. If you say I hit a deer, it is your fault.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:09 AM
Contributing Member

that is exacatly what i did in the report filed , the deer hit me , not the other way around.
unfortunatly in my job we hit a lot of animals on the tracks , in fact while i was at work that night i hit a porcupine, then a deer in my own rig. unfortunatly the road to work is littered with deer , elk and the occasional moose, so this is probably not going to be the only occurance. but nature is beautiful, and i choose to live in the part of the country, better a deer then another car which would have been worse damage wise, i jsut wish id had my new bumper on first LOL.
oh well life goes on.

airrikk17
Old 09-13-2006, 07:23 AM

that suck you would have been better saying it was a hit and run
did the deer have insurance maybe you can sue.

just kidding a buddy of mine got the run me around when a deer hit him.
if he had known at the time he would not called a cop they made him report it to his insurance ended up no coverage on the crash and then his rates went up.
i hope they handle it diffrent where you live..
Old 09-13-2006, 07:41 AM
Contributing Member

Eh, sorry to see this. Glad an airbag didn't deploy, and damage looks minimal for the event, but the inspection will tell. Good luck...
Old 09-13-2006, 07:48 AM
Contributing Member

a deer could've made that a lot worse... I actually have a bunch of pictures of a blazer that hit a deer, shattered windshield, blood all over the inside of the car, a deer head outside, front half of a deer wrapped AROUND the steering column, blood and guts all the way to the rear windshield...even 2, not 1, but 2, internal organs laying in the back cargo area, and what appears to be another in the backseat...Its actually kind of neat, if your not one of those squeamish cant see blood type of people. If your curious, and want to see, PM me, and I'll send you am email...just promise me you won't everywhere.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:50 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was going to say, lucky it didn't jump up and go through your windshield...
Old 09-13-2006, 08:05 AM
Contributing Member

ok, i have daylight ,not i nthe shop pictures up now , and i deleted the other dark ,hard ot see ones.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mrairr...rikk/my_photos

oh it definitly could have been worse. i had jsut let off the accelerator because her buddy had just crossed and was in the ditch , it wouldnt have been much faster , but you never know. and it could have been a direct hit square on in the front , but i was lucky enough to get her i nthe mid to rear hind quarter with the right ride of the bumper. straight on would have been messy.

i think ill pass on those blazer pics. im not squimish its jsut too early in the morning. lol

airrikk17
Old 09-13-2006, 10:22 AM
Contributing Member

well jsut got back from the body shop , looks like no real damage other then possibly the door , everything else looks like unbolt and replace. his computer went down as he was trying to do my estimate , so he sent me on my way, it is driveable , so i fiugred i wasnt goingto hang out al lday while he figured out how to turn off his computer and turn it back on. one of the other guys did ask if the fender flare needed ot be repalced which it does , and they are on the slow boat from japan right now , he had an estimate of 2 weeks for them for another customer. so who knows when it will be done.

good news though, for some odd reason, a deer hitting you is covered under comprehesive, maybe its the way ive worded it to them or what ever , but a few years back i had lowered my deductable for comp to $0. one of the smartest things ive ever done. and i have rental car coverage at 80% , but a buddy has a spare truck i can use and i told my insurance agent this and she told me to let her know becasue if i dont use the rental car they pay me $10 a day, so i think everything will be allright . jsut a waiting game now.

airrikk17
Old 09-13-2006, 01:15 PM

glad to hear its minimal damage.

a co-worker hit a deer that got up and ran away. 3 days after getting his car back from the shop, a deer hit him. T-BONED right in the drivers door. same deer??? hard to tell, but the antlers pentrated the door metal. he too got away.
we call it revenge anyway

Last edited by surf4runner; 09-13-2006 at 01:16 PM.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:20 PM

wow, there is hardly (ok ok i know, relatively speaking) any damage to that fjc. you got really lucky

hope the insurance company doesnt screw you on it. good luck man. one nice vehicle, shame a deer ran out in front of it
Old 09-13-2006, 01:33 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
man that sux to hear. But at 58MPH I think you got the larger stick. If i could live in the Montana Washington area i would do it in a heartbeat. Anyways good luck on the parts coming in.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:48 PM
Contributing Member

wow, hope they are willing to do the whole install bumper for you, and maybe give you cash for it, if not, just try to keep the new(stock) oem in wrap to sell, maybe they will still install new one, and maybe they will then at least give you cash back for "painting' it
Old 09-13-2006, 04:31 PM

That stinks that your baby is boo-booed!!
Old 09-13-2006, 08:51 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
thats sucks .... i hit a lama at 35 with my 93 pickup and it sure did a lot of damage and it even dented the windsheld frame and i know those are hard to dent
Old 09-13-2006, 09:54 PM
Contributing Member

*makes mental note to watch out for llamas in Siletz*
Old 09-14-2006, 07:08 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Elton
thats sucks .... i hit a lama at 35 with my 93 pickup and it sure did a lot of damage and it even dented the windsheld frame and i know those are hard to dent
ELTON...YOU HIT A LLAMA?!?!?!

Originally Posted by BT17R
*makes mental note to watch out for llamas in Siletz*
Agreed!!!

Quick Reply: deer vs fj cruiser