FJ Cruiser 2007 & on

BLASPHEMY! Element interior vs. FJ

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 02:43 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BLASPHEMY! Element interior vs. FJ

Took a look at the Honda element today, and I must say the interior on this puppy has the FJ beat hands down. No contest.
One look underneath the element is the dealbreaker though; 6.9 in clearance and independent full suspension make it worthless off road. This 'CAR' would not survive long in my service, so I won't waste my money on it.

If toyota decided to put some of the Element interior ideas in the FJ, it would be perfect. Frankly, and as most of you know by now, the FJ is lacking inside, not critically but quite significantly. Check out an element and see for yourself.

Mostly what I like is the tremendous flexibility of the seats, they can be laid out like this, combining the front and rears into one nice long bed, on both sides... fricken genius.

And then there's this, flip the seats up to the sides and the whole back turns into a huge cargo area. And there's an available huge sunroof back there.

Last, the doors in the element open wider than the FJ.
Old 04-15-2006, 03:03 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dajabr
Frankly, and as most of you know by now, the FJ is lacking inside, not critically but quite significantly. Check out an element and see for yourself.
I didn't know that, but respect your opinion and will go to a Honda dealer incognito to test an Element. I find FJ interior excellent in most respects. The only shortcomings are lack of a locking glove box and no center console cover, rectified by our Canadian friends for $120.
Old 04-15-2006, 03:20 PM

I have seen the interior of the Element and FJ and I can agree that the Element's interior is genious and beats the FJ's. The FJ's isn't bad though but I would take it over an Element anyday.
Old 04-15-2006, 03:45 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I never plan in sleeping in the rig, in fact I have never slept in a rig.
That is what tents and RVs are for

Riding around in the FJ today was quite nice, and very appealing to me.

Bob, tell us more about this Canadian center console lid.
Does it replace the whole center console or what?
Just as easy as swapping out the one in there now?

For autos too, of just the M6?

Old 04-15-2006, 03:49 PM

I was just on the Canadian website and was trying to find out the same thing.... Seems the FJ in the States here only has model available now and is priced at $27,xxx atleast here in MI.
Old 04-15-2006, 03:50 PM

Why are we comparing the FWD, unibody Honda Element to the 4WD Toyota FJC?

They are not suppose to be competing. If your looking for a boxy scion or element breadbox type of vehicle, the Toyota FJC is not your vehicle.
Its not suppose to have all the seats folded down to make a huge storage box interior.
Thats not what toyota designed. Dont you think toyota could have implemented that into the FJ, if they really wanted to?

The FJC is a solid, truck framed 4WD vehicle that is designed to be tough, durable, capable, and last forever like only a toyota truck can.

The Element is a unibody constructed, 4 cylinder automatic FWD economobile scion competitor... and a good one at that.

The FJC's interior is the best interior Ive ever owned.
Rubberized, Waterproof, solid, wide, functional.
Old 04-15-2006, 04:50 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Corey
Bob, tell us more about this Canadian center console lid.
Does it replace the whole center console or what?
Just as easy as swapping out the one in there now?

For autos too, of just the M6?

Don't know what it looks like yet, or if it's for both trannys, just saw it on the dealer installed accessories list on the toyota.ca site. If it's like the others, it'll be rear hinged, cover the existing cupholders and storage area, and be secured by two bolts and a U-shaped metal doubler plate.

Center console, group buy from a Canadian here?
Old 04-15-2006, 05:18 PM

I hope it is not the armrest for the passenger seat.
Old 04-15-2006, 05:55 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by lllateralus
Why are we comparing the FWD, unibody Honda Element to the 4WD Toyota FJC?

They are not suppose to be competing. If your looking for a boxy scion or element breadbox type of vehicle, the Toyota FJC is not your vehicle.
Its not suppose to have all the seats folded down to make a huge storage box interior.
Thats not what toyota designed. Dont you think toyota could have implemented that into the FJ, if they really wanted to?

The FJC is a solid, truck framed 4WD vehicle that is designed to be tough, durable, capable, and last forever like only a toyota truck can.

The Element is a unibody constructed, 4 cylinder automatic FWD economobile scion competitor... and a good one at that.

The FJC's interior is the best interior Ive ever owned.
Rubberized, Waterproof, solid, wide, functional.
Old 04-15-2006, 07:17 PM

Took a look at the Honda element today, and I must say the interior on this puppy has the FJ beat hands down. No contest.
One look underneath the element is the dealbreaker though; 6.9 in clearance and independent full suspension make it worthless off road. This 'CAR' would not survive long in my service, so I won't waste my money on it.

If toyota decided to put some of the Element interior ideas in the FJ, it would be perfect. Frankly, and as most of you know by now, the FJ is lacking inside, not critically but quite significantly. Check out an element and see for yourself.

Mostly what I like is the tremendous flexibility of the seats, they can be laid out like this, combining the front and rears into one nice long bed, on both sides... fricken genius.

And then there's this, flip the seats up to the sides and the whole back turns into a huge cargo area. And there's an available huge sunroof back there.

Last, the doors in the element open wider than the FJ.

IMHO, Honda interior design is always much better than Toyota.
Old 04-15-2006, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by 4RunnerSE2006
IMHO, Honda interior design is always much better than Toyota.
4Runner is a lot better than the Pilot, I tell ya what... Put that Pilot in low and the shifter hits my knee.
Old 04-16-2006, 08:50 AM
Contributing Member

For those who missed it the first time...
Old 04-16-2006, 09:47 AM

Quite frankly, im not sure why your wasting your time on it.
Old 04-16-2006, 01:06 PM
Contributing Member

I particularly like the combined front/back seat bed design since I travel pretty light, this means you don't need to pay for a campground if you just need to sleep and hit the road. Salesperson said the cargo area can be "hosed out", and though it is rubber and/or plastic I wouldn't go that far. The FJ has better all weather mats, vastly superior AWD than the AWD Element, and of course the venerable tough as nails 6 speed, only 5 in the Element stick but that's normal. Visibility is clearly better in the Element. It's a better interior, basically does far more, it's just on a car chassis and not a truck... I need a truck like the FJ. Maybe the 2nd gen FJ may have some interior advancements.
Old 04-16-2006, 01:40 PM
Contributing Member

I can't believe were comparing the FJ and the Element. People who drive the Element are not looking to go further than a gravel road if that. I know it started as a comparison between interiors but to compare anything beyond is silly.
Old 04-16-2006, 01:59 PM

Hey! give the guy a break, a little constructive critiscism is good. The Element is a feble attempt by Honda to produce something similar to the FJ, everyone knows the exterior, suspension, tranny or engine could not eb compared, but the guy is just saying what he would like to see in the interior of an FJ. I can't blame him eiher, I prefer the interior of an element too. Little constructive critisism is good every now and then.
Old 04-16-2006, 06:01 PM
Contributing Member

Thank you gentlemen. Key word = Interior.

Everyone else Repeat after me.... IN TEE REE OR.
Old 04-16-2006, 09:00 PM
Contributing Member

how about...NOBODY CARES about a POS element or it's interior.

(at least i don't)
Old 04-16-2006, 09:02 PM
Contributing Member

After looking at an Element today, I don't see any Honda vehicle remotely similar in size, price, performance or capability to an FJ. Element vs. FJ = apples vs. oranges. Element should only be fairly compared to a RAV 2.4L 4 banger, IMO. This RAV interior should be more to your liking in an Element-class unibody car based SUV:

Old 04-16-2006, 09:50 PM
Contributing Member

That was my point;apples to oranges and I don't think Honda was thinking about competing with a FJ considering the Element was out several years ago and never made any promises to be a trail ride.

Quick Reply: BLASPHEMY! Element interior vs. FJ