93-98 T100s All T100 trucks

Lifts and Tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 08:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
do your torsion bars, they will give you a inch or 2 of lift.. my truck sits almost level, but my fronts a inch higher than the back.. mule- bfg all terrains are a very good tire, im most likely going to go with 35 bfg ats sometime soon, probably after thanksgivin i will have them on.. they dont wear much and they do pretty well in the mud..
Old 11-08-2006, 08:26 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tato97T100
will the ball joint spacer and add a leaf work on my truck?

i have a 97 t100, 2wd. ext cab

i have a 3inch body lift. and i have very happy with it. but i would like adding another 2 inches or so with a lift that is descibed here.

would the add-a-leaf affect the shocks?
Shouldnt be a problem, at all imho. I would just remove the whole bodylift if I went this route or reduce it to 1" in your case. Do you really wanna be up that high?

As for cranking the torsion bars-the T100 bars are bigger and stonger than the runners/pickups and tacos-but dont think for a second by cranking them up that your gonna be fine-the higher the angle the greater chance they snap. Also the ride quality suffers horribly on road and off... I am not saying they will do it at the drop of a hat but they can break and thats an annoying thing to replace and extra $$$ you could have used elsewhere had you did the lift the right way.

t100 I hope you got a good lift and taller gears for those 35's. If you dont expect to be dogged even by the 3.4L. You dont need huge tires to go offroad if you do the slight lift right-this was the whole purpose of coming up with a mild lift that would work vs a kit that uses very cheap components-you ever look at them the steel isnt even 3/16" thick-I rather 1/4" stuff or stuff made of solid billet or mild steel billet than that stuff.

I know some of you guys wanna go big, but understand the consequences, higher the truck gets without a diff drop your cv angles get to extreme and you will break them, the bigger tires and wheels you add create a drag on the drivetrain, and loss of power to push them not to mention a reduction in gearing. Plus a bigger lift doesnt always mean you can go places, a locked rig will go places even the best open diff rig can go with ease. Lets also not forget that althought he truck is very rigid the center of gravity changes and controlling it at highway speeds can be downright scary, I know what driving a 6" lifted F250 is like and believe me it wasnt fun doing 65mph on the hwy.

I would also look into something better than the BFG's, good tires but $$$ and there are cheaper and better tires around like cooper discoverys, firestone destination at, yoko geolanders and hankook rf04's, etc. I found BFG at KO's to be horrible in the rain..

Still its your money gang, do what you all wish with it as I wont stop ya. Good luck with it too!

Last edited by CJM; 11-08-2006 at 08:42 PM.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:20 PM

i realize i dont need 35s and i know my truck will lagg a little... im replacing my torsions bars with thicker ones sometime after christmas.. i do offroad alot and i do things big... im not worried too much bout things breaking, since i only drive my truck on the wekends, and a f250 psd during the week.. but i know i will break things thats life.. but i want to do my rig right.. and its gonna look fine when i get done with it next year.. but i will try to get pictures of it up step by step.. if yall need help puttin a body lift on and you about 2 hours away, give me a call and i will come help..
Old 11-15-2006, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by CJM
I hope you got a good lift and taller gears for those 35's.
Taller is the oposite of what you want with larger tires.....

Originally Posted by t100
i realize i dont need 35s and i know my truck will lagg a little... im replacing my torsions bars with thicker ones sometime after christmas.. i do offroad alot and i do things big... im not worried too much bout things breaking, since i only drive my truck on the wekends, and a f250 psd during the week.. but i know i will break things thats life.. but i want to do my rig right.. and its gonna look fine when i get done with it next year.. but i will try to get pictures of it up step by step.. if yall need help puttin a body lift on and you about 2 hours away, give me a call and i will come help..
I have HD torsion bars and a HEAVY ARB bumper with a winch and the bars are still WAAAYYYY to HD. I have them as loose as they can go and I still got lift and would like a softer ride. Cranking torsion bars only provides lift in the form of increased ride height, it does nothing for clearing bigger tires.

You will like the BFG, they are by far one of the best tires I have ever owned.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:33 PM
CJM

Originally Posted by AH64ID
Taller is the oposite of what you want with larger tires.....
Hey I got it backwards, happens :p

I have HD torsion bars and a HEAVY ARB bumper with a winch and the bars are still WAAAYYYY to HD. I have them as loose as they can go and I still got lift and would like a softer ride. Cranking torsion bars only provides lift in the form of increased ride height, it does nothing for clearing bigger tires.

You will like the BFG, they are by far one of the best tires I have ever owned.
Dont crank the torsion bars, you think your gonna get a stiff ride with new stiffer shocks and a lift-you aint see nothing yet.

I still think your pushing for too much, but its your truck and your money. Have you figured out the backspacing you need for those wheels and tires?

Last edited by CJM; 11-17-2006 at 08:38 PM.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:47 AM

I'm running 32 x 11.5 x 15's on stock 95 t100 4wd and havent had any problems. Thinking of going with a two or three inch lift and 35's.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:32 PM

The BFG ATs are definitely about the best tire you can put on your truck, maybe the MTs if you want to go a little more aggressive. Yea they are expensive, but they last forever (ive heard of people getting 100,000+ miles out of them) and they grip everything and anything like a mofo. I had cheap off brand tires from the previous owner when I bought my truck and after getting the BFGs I will never by another tire, the performance is exceptional I drive all over the Colorado mountains in all seasons on and off road and I never doubt my tires, they never let me down. Tires are probably the most important piece of your rig when it comes to performance so choose wisely.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:07 PM

......the thread is like 5 years old
Old 04-30-2011, 07:08 PM

okay if i do a 2.5" front BJ spacer and rear 2" block or add one leaf spring will i be able to put on 285/75/16 or call it as 33 on.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:23 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sebastianholmes
I love it when the newb's come in and bump some thread that belongs in the archives of yotatech.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by James Woods
I love it when the newb's come in and bump some thread that belongs in the archives of yotatech.
yea its something new to start as a newb's but as a newb's to truck. so i'm sure that you were once newbs your self. thanks
Old 05-06-2011, 11:17 AM

ToyotaWeekendWarrior, if your truck is 4x4 then you can run 285/75/16 tires stock. I have BFG A/T 285/75/16 on my 95 half ton 4x4 and they only rub in the front when the steering wheel is cranked ALL the way and they only rub in the back when the suspension is compressed ALL the way. If you do a 2" lift you should be able to fit bigger tires like 35's If you get some wheels with a little less backspacing then I think you would have no problems running 35x12.5. By the way 285/75/16 is roughly 33x11.5.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by James Woods
[QUOTEToyotaWeekendWarrior]yea its something new to start as a newb's but as a newb's to truck. so i'm sure that you were once newbs your self. thanks[/QUOTE]

Maybe if this place was a little more alive,then there would be more new threads to hop on?

Just sayin'
Old 05-11-2011, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by funnyguy44444
ToyotaWeekendWarrior, if your truck is 4x4 then you can run 285/75/16 tires stock. I have BFG A/T 285/75/16 on my 95 half ton 4x4 and they only rub in the front when the steering wheel is cranked ALL the way and they only rub in the back when the suspension is compressed ALL the way. If you do a 2" lift you should be able to fit bigger tires like 35's If you get some wheels with a little less backspacing then I think you would have no problems running 35x12.5. By the way 285/75/16 is roughly 33x11.5.

okay thanks for the inf. and my truck is a 4x4 the most I'll go is 33 on 16, i don't really like having big tires and as of this point gas is kind of expensive, but i was think about just doing a 2.5 Bj and 1' rear block, something like that so the front and the rear can line up together beside that i don't have a hitch to tow so it don't bother me at all.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by t100
since yotas arent american made and they are already built badass out the box theres not much you can do to make em better.. powerful yea there alot needed, but since t100s were only made for a short time and they were kinda the prototypes for the tundra they dont make much for them, but when you find something get it, cause you might never be able to get it again!!
I love your answer!

Originally Posted by AH64ID
I am not sure about a t100, but a 33x12.50 can fit on a stock truck, with minor mods to the pinchweld with a BFH. I beleive its slosulfer that has this setup with minor rubbing, but backspacing is crutial at 3.75" on a 15x8" rim. 33x10.50's fit no problem, and is the size that many run with the BJ spacer setup. You get the added diff clearance, but dont have to worry about rubbing.

While I am not in favor of body lift a 1" BL provides room for a 2" taller, but not wider tire. If you go wider you can still go taller, but not the full 2".

Yes, 33x12.50's will fit with NO LIFT. Here's a pic of my buddy's T100 with no suspension OR body lift, just 33x12.50's on some aftermarket 15 inch rims:

Old 05-11-2011, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by sebastianholmes

Oops. I totally did not look at the date.....
Old 05-11-2011, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Shoua
I love your answer!

Yes, 33x12.50's will fit with NO LIFT. Here's a pic of my buddy's T100 with no suspension OR body lift, just 33x12.50's on some aftermarket 15 inch rims:

okay thanks for this inf.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by funnyguy44444
The BFG ATs are definitely about the best tire you can put on your truck, maybe the MTs if you want to go a little more aggressive. Yea they are expensive, but they last forever (ive heard of people getting 100,000+ miles out of them) and they grip everything and anything like a mofo. I had cheap off brand tires from the previous owner when I bought my truck and after getting the BFGs I will never by another tire, the performance is exceptional I drive all over the Colorado mountains in all seasons on and off road and I never doubt my tires, they never let me down. Tires are probably the most important piece of your rig when it comes to performance so choose wisely.
Not sure where or how you drive. I drive on curvy mountain roads a lot, less than 10% dirt. I am on my second set of BFG AT's. I get about 50,000 miles. They are pretty good in the wet when new, but seem to fade when there is still a decent amount of tread on them in wet weather handling.

I had BFG MT's on my Jeep a few years back. (These are the old MT's not the new ones). They were really bad on wet roads, and also dug in sand whereas the AT's floated. At the time I had a boat I needed to pull onto and off of the beach with some regularity. My take on them was that yes, there were marginally better in one condition (mud) but much worse in everything else. The element they were marginally better in (mud) is one where a marginally better tire isn't going to make that much difference. If you get into a sick mud situation you can get just as stuck with MTs as with ATs.

Chains on AT's will get you out of mud or deep snow better than MTs will.

MT's do look much cooler.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:50 PM

The best tires!!

Originally Posted by Mule Skinner
I want to add one more twist to the conversation. I know what size (31x10.50), but what brand do you guys recommend? I know people have there prefrences, but I'm leaning to BFG AT's but considering Goodyear Wranglers ATs. Whatcha think?

TSL swampers are awsome but not the best on road so i would go bfg plus there exelent every terrain
Old 06-02-2011, 08:41 AM

I have had good luck with BFG AT's, but they are not "Super Tires!" that put all others to shame. They are just a very nice, high quality, reasonable priced, mass market tire that has been a long time favorite for replacing OEM rubber with something a bit more trailworthy that also works very well on the street. They are tough, but not invincible. I've pierced several with road debris and even a thorn, they actually seem to pick up junk more when new. I've averaged about 50,000 miles a set on them.

I actually thought the old Bridgestone Desert Dueler was a nicer all around tire, but they are no longer imported into the USA. (I think they are still popular in Austrailia, which has a bit of desert)

I had good luck with BFG MT's too, but they were not near as good on wet pavement, they slid more. They also dug in sand, instead of floating like ATs. These, as I understand it are typical of MT's of all makes. Also they are noisy at speed on the freeway. But they are tougher, and don't pick up junk. I believe they have one more belt on the side than the AT's, which is why a lot of desert guys run them. (Tougher, not for the tread.) There is also a Baja tire in the BFG lineup, which again is extra tough, but has a very mild tread.

My friend bought Toyo ATs and really likes them. I think they might be a little more stout (more belts?) in terms of puncture resistance. However they were considerably more expensive. He was putting them on a large Dodge, and the weight rating was more critical for his application.

I'm also interested in the Mickey Thompson tires, I saw a pair on a tricked out Jeep and they looked really nice. I'm not sure on the paticular name, but they were kinda of 1/2 way between MT and AT design, and aggressive.

As far as I know BFGs are by far the leader in desert racing, with Toyo coming up as the new guys, and MT the long time alternative. Other brands like Bridgestone, Dunlop and such don't seem to compete there anymore. (I think one of the big guys owns MT now, so that''s their off-road brand)

The super-high traction tires for crawlers seem to include many botique brands and I don't know much about them. I don't think most of them are at all road-oriented.

All in all you can't go wrong with BFG ATs. They are kinda the standard, and their might be tires that do some one thing better they seem to have set the best all-around mark for a long time, which is why they are so popular.

Last edited by DrZero; 06-02-2011 at 09:05 AM.

Quick Reply: Lifts and Tires