93-98 T100s All T100 trucks

Can't start when warmed up?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 07:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't start when warmed up?

I've got a 95 t100 with 232k, bought from my dad 5 years ago and he had it since it was new. It's always been an awesome truck. Lately I've been having an exacerbation of an old problem.

It starts fine all summer, no matter where or under what conditions. In the winter, that's a different story. I can't start it when it's warm. I start first crank every morning and every evening for work. Usually if it's been sitting an hour or two, enough to cool down, I'm fine. If it's warmed up and the temp outside is below about 50, I can't get it going. I crank and crank (turns over like a champ) pump the gas, let off the gas, turn it off and cuss, look around the parking lot to see who's watching, crank some more, floor it, cuss some, reassure my wife, cuss a little, then it finally catches. About 30 seconds after that I forget I had the problem and move on with my life.

The starter is about a year old, so is the battery. The fuel pump about 3-4 years old. I actually have had this problem the entire time I have had the truck but usually it'd be that it catches once then misses but I could get it on the second try. Last winter and now this winter are bad. I'm afraid to run to the store, or stop and get gas.

Is this a known problem? How do I go about diagnosing this? What's your guess on what is wrong?
Old 01-11-2017, 08:54 PM

Two things come to mind for me:

Does it make a sound like clicking or whining or any sort of electrical noise? Maybe have your wife listen for noises while you try and start it with the hood up.

Second thing is the air filter, pop open the air box and see if anything is clogged. I had a mouse nest in mine when I bought my truck.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:30 PM

Did you solve this at all?

Might want to check on the coolant temp sensor. Not totally common but definitely known to go bad with age and your truck sure has the miles on it to be suspect. The CTS can do all sorts of crazy ˟˟˟˟ including hard starts/bad MPG...etc When you replaced your fuel pump did you do any other fuel system checks (pressure)? Have you ever pulled your plugs after trying to start/hard starting the rig in the above described situation?
Old 04-22-2017, 08:58 PM

Same problem

Bump to this thread any solutions. Mine seems to happen in much the same way. Starts fine every morning, every evening after work but sometimes when I run into a store it is very difficult to start. it seems like a fuel problem but don't really know. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Griff