General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

let's do it with the lights ON!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 10:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
haha i think ill stick with my daylighters and for the grill guard just buy those cheap BAJA lights they have for like 30 or 40 at kragen(well checker out here)
Old 09-11-2007, 11:04 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ozziesironmanoffroad
haha i think ill stick with my daylighters and for the grill guard just buy those cheap BAJA lights they have for like 30 or 40 at kragen(well checker out here)
I want a trusted name, and I want a decent price. From what I have heard so far, the Hella 500's and the KC Daylighters are the way to go. You can pick up a pair for $100 or under,and they look and perform great. I might get a cheapo pair of fog lights to mount in my bumper somewhere so I can see a little better at night. While you're at Kragen(checker) pick up a glass pack, or see if they got em. Look for Cherry Bomb. How do you like your KC's? Are they round lights?
Old 09-11-2007, 11:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I am a slut for PIAA's but my other half is a slut for lightforce
I'm a big slut for lightforce, i think they are amazing and the many options on filters are great as-well, but i cant afford $255.95 for the Light Force 170 and then the wiring harness which is another $50.00, for cheap decent lights id buy hella 500s.

yes I'm poor

Last edited by Knuckles; 09-11-2007 at 11:24 PM.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:24 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Mattbaby24
I'm a big slut for lightforce, i think they are amazing and the many options on filters are great as-well, but i cant afford $255.95 for the Light Force 170 and then the wiring harness which is another $50.00, for cheap decent lights id buy hella 500s.
How bout the durability on those Hellas? Good? Bad? Ugly?
Old 09-11-2007, 11:25 PM
Contributing Member

Ok here is more but they are not dead on... I wheel more than most guys and PIAA's OR Hella's or Lightforce... would work. At any rate I need external lights. It makes a difference. See below for why...

Not all of these are mine but they are GREAT examples and not all are spots. Some are spots eh??

Old 09-11-2007, 11:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by stormin94
I want a trusted name, and I want a decent price. From what I have heard so far, the Hella 500's and the KC Daylighters are the way to go. You can pick up a pair for $100 or under,and they look and perform great. I might get a cheapo pair of fog lights to mount in my bumper somewhere so I can see a little better at night. While you're at Kragen(checker) pick up a glass pack, or see if they got em. Look for Cherry Bomb. How do you like your KC's? Are they round lights?
cherry bomb... lmao the only cherry bombs the checker here has are the small ones, not the wide ones my truck needs. yeah there round, there AWESOME. last time i was in ocotillo wells in san diego, (cali desert), i had them on at night goin back to the camp site.. i guess my buddys and my ex could see the lights from like 10 miles back. thats quite a distance.. i couldnt see that far(10 miles), but they r bright.. haha.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:26 PM
Contributing Member

yes I'm poor

After TC got lightforces I am a big slut for them too! His 2 Lightfoces = my 4 PIAA's!!!! (Real time measurement guys!!)
Old 09-11-2007, 11:30 PM

How bout the durability on those Hellas? Good? Bad? Ugly?
i never had any issues with them, but another question, are you going to get driving lights or fog lights?
Old 09-11-2007, 11:34 PM
Contributing Member

i never had any issues with them, but another question, are you going to get driving lights or fog lights?
Driving. They will be mounted to the center of a grill guard. I'm looking at some fog lights to kinda sneak in behind that big ol plastic lower bumper part for on road driving. DO ALL THESE BRANDS(PIAA, HELLA, KC, LIGHTFORCE) COME WITH COVERS, AND WIRING KITS? And would someone please tell me more about the PIAA lights?
Old 09-11-2007, 11:37 PM

i know the lightforce comes with clear covers and no harness(you have to buy it separate) and the lightforce arnt cheap lights.

hella comes with harness and covers, same as KC

don't know about piaa .
Old 09-11-2007, 11:39 PM
Contributing Member

i know the lightforce comes with clear covers and no harness(you have to buy it separate) and the lightforce arnt cheap lights.

hella comes with harness and covers, same as KC

don't know about piaa .
I'm asking about the Lightforce's just in case I happen to stumble across some for $60 on eBay..... PIAA's ANYONE???
Old 09-11-2007, 11:44 PM

piaas cost double the hellas $225.21 for the 510 SERIES
Old 09-11-2007, 11:45 PM
Contributing Member

piaas cost double the hellas $225.21 for the 510 SERIES
Looks like I'm back to the Hella's VS KC Daylighters, once again. Is there an advantage to either? And what do the prices look like for the two?
Old 09-11-2007, 11:53 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah all should come with harnesses. if not.. well there is your decision. Look at the lens covers. TC's light forces are lexan that will withstand shotgun blasts... I have no idea what my pia's will withstand but have ya seen my truck... it must be more than what I put Tippy through... LOL
Old 09-11-2007, 11:55 PM

from amazon.com

kc $94.95
KC daylighters are housed by metal

hella $63.95
they are housed by plastic

i remember now why i use the KC's because they are metal housing.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:00 AM
Contributing Member

from amazon.com

kc $94.95
KC daylighters are housed by metal

hella $63.95
they are housed by plastic

i remember now why i use the KC's because they are metal housing.
OK, It looks like I've made a decision! I'm gonna go with the KC's. I'm going to scower the internet to see if there are any KC Daylighters for a really good deal. I don't have a whole lot of $$$ to spend on fun stuff, and probably won't for a month or two(behind on bills.....again, but getting caught up quickly) If I cannot find a good deal on some KC's, then I will likely go with the Hella's. Thanks Everyone for helping me with this. I will let you know which ones I end up getting when I buy them. Thanks again.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:04 AM
Contributing Member

Mattbaby did his homework. Yes Hella's are the cheqpest with wiring harnesses. PIAA's and Lightforcres are stupid more expensive. I think we like em because we are stupid hard on them but if ya don't plan on making your rig look like my tippy b!@tch Matt has the best lead....

Gotta decide on how you wheel versus the rest of us... LOL

Thanks all who have contributed... a GREAT thread all!
Old 09-12-2007, 12:12 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Lysmachia
Mattbaby did his homework. Yes Hella's are the cheqpest with wiring harnesses. PIAA's and Lightforcres are stupid more expensive. I think we like em because we are stupid hard on them but if ya don't plan on making your rig look like my tippy b!@tch Matt has the best lead....

Gotta decide on how you wheel versus the rest of us... LOL

Thanks all who have contributed... a GREAT thread all!
I wheel slightly harder than the average daily driver should. Yes, it is my Daily driver, and I want it to look and perform good, as well as be durable, so I didn't really want to go with some junk cheapo Walmart lights. I am in the market for some lights, just not anything "stupid more expensive". I'm definitely gonna check eBay/Craigslist though. I see no sense in buying a cheapo pair of lights and having them break on me right when I need them, rather than spend twice as much to get a decent piece of working equipment. I go wheeling for fun, I'm not trying to make this my life's work, so cost is, and will mostly always be a major deciding factor in my choices for my car. That makes it SOO much harder to buy stuff for it, because I have to look around and research every little thing before I buy. But, so far I've been pretty good with my purchases. Thanks!!!
Old 09-12-2007, 12:14 AM
Contributing Member

Storman - based on your needs Hella's are it... if you need beyond that PM me... below that contact walmart. LOL Honestly looks like Hellas are a good fit...
Old 09-12-2007, 12:19 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Lysmachia
Storman - based on your needs Hella's are it... if you need beyond that PM me... below that contact walmart. LOL Honestly looks like Hellas are a good fit...
I'm gonna go see if I can find some KC's for a good deal. I like the covers on the KC's better anyway. Then, yes, Hellas would definitely be the next choice. I've never had any experience with either, but I'm sure you guys won't let me down.

At least I hope not!!!

Quick Reply: let's do it with the lights ON!!!