YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-03-2006, 09:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

Illumination wire ... CD Stereo Radio install

After searching through some posts and some web hunting, I'm still a little leery of hooking up the Illumination Wire (IW) for a new head unit. This is on a 3rd Gen Taco, but may apply elsewhere I suspect. I'm replacing an older Alpine (no IW) with a new Alpine 9845.

I think I have it narrowed down using this procedure found at the 'Talk Audio' forums here:
http://tinyurl.com/czrlp (Complete article)

Using a Multimeter to Solve Headunit Wiring Hell

5) Probe each of the loom/connectors using the red multimeter probe until you find a reading of around 12V. This is your permanent live wire. Label it using the pen and tape.

6) Turn on the ignition (set it to the "Acc"/"Accessory" position.. there's no need to start the engine. Probe all of the pins/wires except the one already identified as permanent live. When you find one with around 12V, label this up as the "ignition switched live"

7) Turn on your headlights, and repeat the process from step 6, ignoring already identified wires/pins. When you find a 12V signal, label this as your "illumination" wire (basically it tells the headunit to dim the display when your headlights are on).

So here's the factory plugs, plus a plug that I think was added later in an install.
Click the image to open in full size.

The upper two plugs are the factory wiring, and I’m thinking the lower single wire plug (white/green stripe….had to Photoshop the green stripe in the photo to show properly) is something someone added the previous install.
Many of the places on the net show the Toyota factory wiring using a solid green wire for illumination. See:
http://www.streetdreams.com/wires/toyota/general.html
http://www.electronixwarehouse.com/e.../carwiring.htm
http://www.carstereo.com/help/carwires.cfm

This is clearly not the case in my ’96 Taco. The 12V ‘lights on’ wire is definitely green/red stripe. The thing that has me puzzled is the extra single plug wire that goes to 1.77V only when the lights are turned on. The white/green stripe wire on the single wire plug comes out of the harness and is then finds it’s way to the small white factory plug in the ‘O’ position of that plug.
Click the image to open in full size.

The 'O' position shows 'DO NOT USE' in the above diagram, but....???

I’m thinking I should hook up the Illumination wire from the alpine to the 1.77V first….and see if that works. If that doesn't work, I may try the 12V green/redstrip wire that goes to the large blue factory plug at the 'J' position. (Also shown as 'DO NOT USE').

Mostly I’m just not up to blowing fuses with this thing at this time. I’ve seen some threads where people have run into problems with the IW, so thought I’d check to see if anyone successfully done the IW and where they connected it to.
Sorry so long winded…..
Thanks.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!

Last edited by PygmyCowboy; 02-03-2006 at 09:47 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-05-2006, 05:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

Turns out the 12 V 'lights-on' wire on the factory plug....the green/red stripe, is the one to use for connecting to the head unit's Illumination wire. At least that's what the color code was on my '96 Tacoma.

Still don't know what the single wire plug was for, the one that showed 1.7V when the lights turned on. Ah well.
Old 02-05-2006, 07:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Contributing Member

elton hostler
Send a message via AIM to Elton Send a message via MSN to Elton
it could be for the clock or the memory
97 honda civic lx 4dr ls vtec

Last edited by Elton; 02-06-2006 at 09:59 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-06-2006, 04:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

Ya know, I think you're right. It seems to be the only other thing that's normally on.... and dims.... when lights are turned on.

Still why the H..... would it be connected to the small white factory radio plug??? Will likely remain one of the TMLs....Taco Mysteries of Life.
Old 02-06-2006, 04:10 PM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
alpine, cable, function, head, hook, illuminant, illumination, illunimation, radio, red, stereo, unit, wire, wires, wiring