General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Freaky taillight behavior- 99 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Freaky taillight behavior- 99 4Runner

Hey guys.. I'm new to this site so bare with me if I commit a rookie mistake. I have a 99 4Runner that I've had since new. The other day I rented a small Uhaul trailer and when I hooked up the lights to my factory hitch wiring the lights in my truck immediately started acting up. I searched all the fuses and found one blown and that corrected the issue with the left blinker. I'm left though with a couple issues. If you hit the brakes the right blinker light stays on solid. If you engage the right blinker "all" of the lights in the rear flash along with the right blinker (except the left blinker and backup lights). Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Pat
Old 05-15-2010, 07:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
it's towing season !

sounds like a tail light converter issue. This is how mine became an issue-I was going to rent a Uhaul car dolly and my 4 pin connector had issues. They would not rent to me as my taillight converter "black box" needed replaced and then the adventures really began.

Helping a dude over on T4R.org right now with similar problem but it is his left blinker.

Easiest and simplest thing to check first is the bulbs. A dual filament bulb may work fine for a parking light function but act up for the brake light function. Remove the bulb-look it over and swap in a known good one just for grins and see if you have same issue. The fact that a fuse blew makes me think it was just the bulb.

Here is a link to the thread going on T4R.

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...g-problem.html

An LED 4 pin tester plugged in to your 4 pin trailer connector will also be helpful but I would start with the bulbs first-just as I am recommending to this other guy.

Search "tail light converter" here or search my name for my threads and you will see more than you ever wanted to know .

I am just having a great time now that I can actually post up pics so you have to bear with me as I post up totally random stuff repressed from a couple of frustrating years of photobucket-ry
Attached Thumbnails Freaky taillight behavior- 99 4Runner-labordaywknd09-minolta-rangefinder-067.jpg  
Old 05-16-2010, 10:46 AM

Ron... Thanks. Looks like you got me on the right track. I checked bulbs and all looked relatively well. So I chased the hitch harness up into the truck and disconnected it from that "black box". Checked and I still had the issue. Then I disconnected the wiring harness that was connected to the top of that same black box. Checked again and everything is working fine. So would you agree based upon this that this black box is the problem? Does this blackbox do anything else other than provide the tow harness power? If thats the case can I remove it (knowing that I won't have trailer light hookups)?

Thanks again for the help!!!

Pat
Old 05-16-2010, 04:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ya there is the rub-It gets a bit dicey when you remove the old one.

So long as you wire everything up properly you should be okay-but you'll have a mismatch in the number of wires to connect up to the splice. I would simply recommend replacing the box with the Hopkins unit, you never know when you might want that towing ability or accessories at the back end.

Just my opinion, but since you have it already torn apart might as well do it right to finish it off...
Old 05-16-2010, 05:38 PM

Good deal... I don't tow stuff too often so I'll drive as is (converter out) for a while until I decide what to do. Thanks again for the help Ron, much appreciated.

Pat