General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead as a...

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 03:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dead as a...

Hey guys, I've been doing some refurbishing on my 1988 pickup that I've had a little over a week now. So far - it looks to be in great shape.

I just got done doing VC gaskets and rear cam plugs last night, hooked everything back up, and dropped in a new battery (Interstate, 1000 cca), and the truck is dead - no dome light, warning buzzers, headlights - nothing! I've gone over the connections, checked to see if the battery has a charge (BTW, when you do that - don't use a 22mm box wrench to contact the poles or be holding a small flashlight in your mouth...ouch). It arc'd fine, lots of power - but none of it is getting into the truck!

I'm still green on these things - so I was wondering if there's some reset switch? I checked the fuses (right behind the battery, black box), and they look alright, are there any other things that I should be looking for?

Thanks for the leg up!
Old 05-13-2008, 04:48 AM

The only reset switch I can think would would be connecting and dissconnecting the battery, but you have probably tried that, I would also replace all the fuses just to be sure, also make sure none of your wires are bad and make sure its grounded, thats really all I can think of, I have an 88 4runner and it has exactly the opposite problem something sucking the energy from the battery when the truck is off.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:48 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Battery cables??
Old 05-13-2008, 04:51 AM

yeah - I've re-connected it twice now. I suppose I could get all new fuses, but usually with those the "weak" ones are the ones that fail/burst. The thing that's confusing me is that the whole truck has no power, not just one system.

hmm...I'll keep trying wires...and hopefully get rid of this metallic aftertaste...
Old 05-13-2008, 04:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
check the cables..my '80 did the same thing...check for burnt fuses under the dash too...thats where my ignition fuse is..so i'd heck there too...make sure you're not all corroded up anywhere...check the hot wire at the starter...your ground...if still nothing...get a tester and see where you have power..and where you dont..good luck
Old 05-13-2008, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by Team420
Battery cables??
yeah, they look great - even the terminals that connect to the posts are clean. The kid that had the truck before me had a bunch of wires coming off the old battery to power his stereo - I've disconnected all of them (he took the stereo with him).

Does anyone know what on earth a "Uneo" box is? It's bolted in front of the passenger side firewall (one screw and velcro) and has a corresponding little box that it's wired to on the firewall in the engine compartment. Also - there's a lottle round port on the instrument panel on the center console (right above where the radio was. I'm going to try and take a picture, but I have no clue what on earth this thing is...
Old 05-13-2008, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by camo31"10.50"
check the cables..my '80 did the same thing...check for burnt fuses under the dash too...thats where my ignition fuse is..so i'd heck there too...make sure you're not all corroded up anywhere...check the hot wire at the starter...your ground...if still nothing...get a tester and see where you have power..and where you dont..good luck
Solid approach - I like that. I'm not sure where my ignition fuse is - if they changed that with my generation.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:10 AM

Follow the wire. Get a multimeter if you don't have one. There are cheap. Hook one side to the ground of the battery and use the other side to follow the wire. Check for voltage at every connection. Switch sides of the battery and follow the ground wire. Its unlikely but the wires do deteriate in the plastic.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:47 PM

aye mate, I've picked up a multimeter, got some 2 gauge cable, and I'm goin in tonight!

checked all the fuses, they're straight, as are the relays...as best I can tell...

Results to follow.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:45 PM

alright, so after two (pos and neg) new cables, that were actually 4 gauge, and an Interstate battery, there's still no...anything. Not even so much as a "hey - keys in the ignition" warning buzzer.

(sigh)

So, I've pulled the alternator to be tested tomorrow, and am getting ALL new fuses. I'm going to be away over the weekend - but should be able to get back at it next week.

Really want to get this thing going - it's really frustrating when you buy something that was running great and only needed a little oil seal, only to have the repair spiral into "malfunction dominoes."

Again - I appreciate the advice, I'm at the point that I'll consider anything to get this thing running again!
Old 05-14-2008, 07:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
starter??? follow the cables from the battery to the ground ont he truck...too
Old 05-17-2008, 02:41 PM

The previous guy could of had something rigged with all the extra wires you pulled out .I would check back on that,and test the cables they coud of corroded or came apart inside.
1. did it run after you snatched all his wires out or did you swap the battery and snatch wires at the same time?
2. Grounding strap needs to be in good shape.(From Block to Body)

Last edited by dbcx; 05-17-2008 at 02:45 PM.
Old 05-22-2008, 06:31 PM

Eureka! I think...

So, I get back under the hood after the weekend, and find this oddball box that says "UNGO". Hmm. After some heavy Googling - I figure out that it's a security system, that has come loose with all the wiring that the kid had done for the stereo. I drove the thing across four states to get it home after I bought it, after ripping wires out from the boom box left and right. So - that thing does run, I guess this little add-on just kicked in and killed the whole thing.

I'm in the process of removing the whole thing, and so far I'm up to two circuit boxes, one temp sensor, and a tiny switch.

Anyone ever removed a security system?
Old 05-22-2008, 08:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no but I put one in. Most of them use a relay to kill the starter. I've never seen one that kills all the circuits, though I'm sure the higher-end ones do. I'd attempt to locate a wiring diagram if possible, and if not label everything and proceed with extreme caution
Old 05-23-2008, 07:19 PM

removed the entire security system. Still nothing. Starter relay isn't testing with the multi-meter...maybe that?

you guys rock - thanks for hanging in here with me, I'm starting to get tired of this thing - nothing seems to work.

Cheers!
Old 05-23-2008, 07:32 PM
CJM

You check the 80 amp fuse for the battery, sure its not bad. That will easily cause your situation.
Old 05-24-2008, 03:19 AM

When I got my truck it also had a ton of wires (alarm, stereo, trailer wiring). I cut every single thing out that wasn't factory. He had alot of wires in that truck.
Old 05-24-2008, 03:22 AM

Check the fusible link that CJM mentioned. You may have blown a fuse while disconnecting the PO's handi-work. My battery was out of the truck at the time I removed everything.
Old 05-24-2008, 04:26 AM

I already replaced the 80A. I got a reconditioned battery from Interstate - maybe it's a dud?
Old 05-25-2008, 12:45 PM

alright - I really appreciate all the time everyone took to entertain my problem, but I think that it may have gotten the best of me. I've been spending time fooling with this thing - and not getting any results. I think I may just have to take it to my mechanic after the holiday.

Hope everyone has a bomber Memorial Day, thanks again!

Cheers!

Quick Reply: Dead as a...