General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone know what these do/are?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone know what these do/are?

90 p/u 3.0 i did some work on it today and these were just kinda hanging out in the engine bay and didnt seem to be going to anything so i pulled them out.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:12 PM

ok i messed that one up lets try it again.

this is the inside of the one above it
Old 02-09-2012, 04:15 PM

those are relays. If they werent connected to anything then they were probably something a previous owner had wired in for extra lights or other electronic devices. Just make sure your truck still runs the same without them.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:39 PM

Its a aftermarket auxiliary cooling fan set up.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Yup...relays. The red/brown one is the type used in temperature circuits. The long shiny cylinder thing with one wire looks like a thermocouple or heater probe. Possible engine block heater?
Old 02-09-2012, 06:33 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
That theres one of them flux capacitors.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:05 PM

Ok thanks guys, although I can't really tell if it runs right without them or not as it's not running right now (no spark) but everything inside seemed to work right. I'll have to check the lights in the morning.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:56 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Do you have an electric or mechanical cooling fan? I have a complete backup set of relays in place for my e-fan. Might not ever do anything...but its there if I need it.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:16 PM

Im in the process of putting a new elec fan in it now. Old one was pulled by po. Don't see anyplace for wiring so I might have to figure something out with them.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:24 AM

Like already mentioned, these are for wiring an electric cooling fan. I am using nearly the same parts for mine. The one with the funny looking silver "probe" connected with what looks like soldering wire is a thermostatically controlled relay. (http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...ier=267187_0_0_) That probe should be inserted as near to the coolant return line as possible. The relay will energize when a certain temperature is reached, de-energize when a second temperature is reached. Some are "pre-programmed" with certain temperatures while others are manually adjustable (like mine). When wired correctly this relay should actually be used to energize a second relay (the little black box) to provide a fused power source direct from the battery to the fan, rather than "stealing" power from another source. These fans suck a lot of amps and should only get power directly from the battery to prevent doing electrical damage. Feel free to PM with wiring questions as these are very simple to wire.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:01 AM

Not that you're wrong RamRod82, cause there's always more than one way to skin a furry lil critter.... I was just reading a thread where another YT member suggested that when switching to electric fan you place the sensor at the radiator outlet. This way the fan only kicks on if the outgoing coolant is still too hot, (i.e. radiator not keeping up). This instead of at the inlet. ... I'm sure either way will work just a matter of preference, and also what temps you decide to set your relay for if you have the adjustable.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:43 AM

those are electric relays, look in your fuse box
Old 02-20-2012, 06:03 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Old 02-22-2012, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by RamRod82
Like already mentioned, these are for wiring an electric cooling fan. I am using nearly the same parts for mine. The one with the funny looking silver "probe" connected with what looks like soldering wire is a thermostatically controlled relay. (http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...ier=267187_0_0_) That probe should be inserted as near to the coolant return line as possible. The relay will energize when a certain temperature is reached, de-energize when a second temperature is reached. Some are "pre-programmed" with certain temperatures while others are manually adjustable (like mine). When wired correctly this relay should actually be used to energize a second relay (the little black box) to provide a fused power source direct from the battery to the fan, rather than "stealing" power from another source. These fans suck a lot of amps and should only get power directly from the battery to prevent doing electrical damage. Feel free to PM with wiring questions as these are very simple to wire.
thanks, the new fan will be going in today so wiring wont be far behind. im gonna do a search and see what i can find on wiring diagrams but feel free to post one or pm me with one. there obviously was an elec fan in it before but since its got a new radiator i gotta figure out how/where to put the probe in.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:42 AM

Hope this helps man. Couple of hints: check the direction of the fan BEFORE you make any permanent wiring connections (made that mistake twice). The '30 AMP RELAY' is a minimum recommendation. A higher amp rating is fine. The thermostatic controlled relay is highly recommended. Can get for cheap at Auto Zone, manufacturer is Compressor Works. They make an adjustable one which is what i've always used so you can fine tune exactly when you want the fan to come on. The amp rating of the fuse between the battery and relay should match the amp draw of the fan. If you can't figure out which posts on the relay to use let me know, simply way to find out with any multimeter.

I actually added a manual switch to my setup so I could turn it on while hauling trailers up hills without it turning on and off constantly. If you want to know how to wire that just let me know, super easy.

Feel free to ask any questions man. I love this mod, can definetely feel the difference. Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails anyone know what these do/are?-wire-diagram-01.png  
Old 02-25-2012, 04:44 PM

thanks, weathers been really crappy up here the last couple days and i gotta head outta town for 5 days on mon but as soon as i get back ill see what i can do. if i have any questions ill def be getting ahold of ya.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:51 PM

this is totaly off topic here but i have no way of posting my own thread, im new. I just bought a 97 4runner, open diffs, no lifts, and bald tires. i have made a few little cheap changes to it (homemade roof rack, offroad lights, cb) but no tires, yet. i gota get some fast. any recommendations? Keep in mind, i am a broke college aged guy, and i dont wana spend 3000 dollars on my tires, ya know...