General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator Swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alternator Swap

Ok so I was out at the local junk yard for 1/2 off day and found a nice looking chevy 12si alternator, looked clean and recently installed. it was a autozone 94A bought it for 16.00. Took it to autozone for testing and passed.
so next thing to do is put it in. it wasnt as easy as I thought and took me all weekend but its in and working great.

here is a shot of the underhood before the start of the project.

so out with the alternator and Battery! here is the old 60A alternator.

Here is the connection on the back of the old alternator, doesnt look so good. may be why my lights were dimming alot.

I couldnt get it in with out removing something so i took the steering shaft out. I will regret it later because it was a pain to put back in.

Got the fuse box apart so I can run new cable from there to battery and from alt to battery, I used #2 welding cable with copper crimp on ends. and #4 from battery to the 80A fuse. also ran #4 to my additional fuse distribution off of the 80A fuse.

Finally got the alt wedged in, see how clean it is and still has the label from autozone.

top bracket wouldnt work because the alt couldnt move in close so I found a bracket i had that went to my 64 comet and cut the end off the toy bracket to make a custom. worked out great.

here i test the bracket before i paint it black.

Here you can see how I spaced it forward with a couple washers and a large nut. i cut the front of the alt mount to allow it to mount about 1/4 inch more toward the front. the belt is not on the crank properly thats why it looks off.

here it is installed ready to go, fit is tight, not alot of room between water hose and steering shaft cover.

here is my new battery and cables installed, used some gold plated battery terminals and a fuse going to the alt is 100A fuse for now. Lights no longer dim. I think it was well worth the trouble.

also ran #2 ground from battery to body and to engine block. Hope this is helpful to someone else. I am sure later i can get the alt upgrades for more output and be ready for a winch.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:02 PM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
So you only ran the inline fuse on the line going to the alternator? You didn't add another inline fuse for going to the fuse box, you just used the 80A fuse that was already there? Is that correct?

Also, how does the fuse box come apart to disconnect the battery cable?
Old 12-12-2011, 12:53 AM

Came Out pretty nice! Now your rig can handle a winch load with confidence! Did the whine in your speakers go away?
Old 12-12-2011, 03:04 PM

nope still have the wine in the speakers, not sure what it is yet.