General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 4Runner Window switch slowly going out?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 09:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 4Runner Window switch slowly going out?

I have a 98 4-Runner and the windows are slowly not responding to the switch, either the master, nor the local door switch. The driver's side front works fine, and the passenger's rear works fine as well. The problem is that the driver's rear stopped responding to the switch, and about a month later, the passenger's front stopped responding and now the window is stuck down, but if you press "down" on the switch, it goes down just fine. I should add that the "up" function worked well and was not sluggish before it stopped responding.

What could be the problem, and how can I get the window up at least manually for now?

Thanks for any responses.

Poindexter
Old 08-20-2008, 09:40 AM

okay,i am no expert, but when you press the switch on the windows that dont work, can you hear the motor in the door?
Old 08-20-2008, 09:57 AM

I had a similar issue in a Ford Ranger. I pulled the switches apart and cleaned the contacts and it worked fine after that. You also may have a loose wiring harness or bad contacts there, since it's multiple windows that are affected.

If you hear the motor running in the door (like 904_runner said), it could be a bad motor or regulator.

Let us know what you find out!
Old 08-20-2008, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Poindexter
I have a 98 4-Runner and the windows are slowly not responding to the switch, either the master, nor the local door switch. The driver's side front works fine, and the passenger's rear works fine as well. The problem is that the driver's rear stopped responding to the switch, and about a month later, the passenger's front stopped responding and now the window is stuck down, but if you press "down" on the switch, it goes down just fine. I should add that the "up" function worked well and was not sluggish before it stopped responding.

What could be the problem, and how can I get the window up at least manually for now?

Thanks for any responses.

Poindexter
Hey Poindexter, I just got my truck back from the dealership because my passenger rear window stopped working w/ exactly the same symptoms your describing. (I took it to the dealership because I have it all under warantee) It turned out to be just the switch, they replaced it and sent me on my way.