Off Road Enhancements Enhancements to improve your off road travels

Home Brewed Shovel Mount (and axe mount)

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 02:01 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Home Brewed Shovel Mount (and axe mount)

Article By:
Corey

On my '91 4Runner I had made a home brewed shovel mount using the Yakima Snap Arounds, some long bolts, and some Yakima plastic wingnuts.
The shovel I had bought at Lowes hardware.

Since Yakima has the 10V Mighty Mounts that let me mount the Slee Hi-Lift mounts, I knew Yakima would have the equivalent of a mount that would let the bolt go vertically, but the mount would be horizontal.
With the bolt vertically, this would allow the same shovel I used before to be able to sit on top of the FJ Cruisers rack slats.
After much debating with the clueless tech dude at Yakima, he thought the 23H horizontal Mighty Mounts would work.

I ordered up a set from RackOutfitters.com, and sure enough, they fit perfectly.
However my old bolts I had used on the 4Runner were a little bent, so I had to buy new ones.
The size you want is 5/16-18-4, and they are called hex tap bolts.

Also since I took off two of my racks slats when installing the Hi-Lift mounts, the two slats left were to far apart to make the shovel work with its two holes that are drilled in it.
I had to add back a slat and move it in front of the most forward slat, and that worked out perfectly.

Below are some pics showing just the 23H mounts, and finally a few shots showing the shovel mounted, and across the roof you can see the Slee Hi-Lift mounts.
The Hi-Lift is to heavy for me to heft it up there, so I am still looking at an alternative to as how to mount it.

I am not sure on the slat size on other Toyota factory roof racks, but if the slats are the same as on my FJ Cruiser, the 23H mounts will work for you.

Instead of spending mega bucks for some aftermarket holder, my idea works well and is pretty cheap.
I still have to 23H mounts leftover for another project.
Perhaps an axe mount?

Tools needed
1/2" socket for the bolts I bought.
Yours may vary

Links to sites mentioned here
Yakima 23H Mighty Mounts from RackOutfitters

Any questions about this article, please contact me, Corey
Old 09-25-2006, 01:37 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Home Brewed Axe Mount

Article By:
Corey

This is a continuation of the above modification.
I had two of the Yakima 23H Horizontal Mighty Mounts left over, plus two of the 5/16-18-4 hex bolts.

I put on the 23H mounts, ran the hex bolts up from underneath, and tightened them down.
I then measured the distance between the two bolts.
I then took that measurement and drilled two holes into a True Temper 36" Premium Michigan axe from Lowes.

The axe fits perfectly next to the shove, and is secured the same way to the roof rack slats using some leftover Yakima plastic wingnuts.
These mounts come in real handy.
My next project using these mounts may be to put a jerry can mount on the roof to carry a 10 liter jug of H20.

In the first picture you can see the new mounts with the hex bolts sticking up.
In the second picture are both the axe and the shovel mounted to the roof.

Links to sites mentioned here
Yakima 23H Mighty Mounts from RackOutfitters

Any questions about this article, please contact me, Corey