Alarm Systems Discussion related to installation, diagnostics, and purchasing of alarm systems

Commando 870

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 01:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Commando 870

Well I got the Commando FM-870-TK for Christmas yesterday. I spent all day today removing the old RS3000 and installing the commando.

You don't even understand the excitement when it went almost flawless. Im still not 100% done, but the majority is finished.

Remote starter is in and programed (So cool that it worked first try)
Alarm is ready and triggers with doors opening, hatchback, and noise.
Keyless entry is working

I still need to mount the siren. Its just sitting there right now
I need to install my starter kill relay
I need to program all the extra non-required stuff
Tidy up all the wires (so far the most annoying part)

This thing really is cool. I think i have about 6-7 hours involved with its installation. I took a lot of breaks.

I have yet to test out how far the new key pad will work, but i did walk to the end of my driveway... and it worked - while the old rs3000 would maybe work on an great day of 15 feet.

So far it is great. Pretty easy installation. Some times the instructions are a little vague and i think i found something that was in the wiring diagram that was wrong, as it didn't work with the harness i was using and it told me to use, but it worked with another harness right next to the one it said to use... But its 2:50 am right now

BTW the only experience i had with any electrical mods was installed a set up puddle lights about 4 days ago, and a pair of hella 500's the day before yesterday. So you can tell the experience required really isn't too high.

I hope this all makes sense.... im really tired
Old 12-28-2006, 07:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
sounds great, merry christmas to you my first question i thought of when reading was "how much electrical experience do you have?" but you've answered that and swayed me to try this out myself in the spring when it's a little warmer. and, if i have a question about the mistake in the wiring diagram in the instructions, i know who to ask

nice going, everyone needs a few more bells and whistles on their rig!

patrick
Old 01-24-2007, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah i would say go for it. I was kinda afraid at first because i hadn't done anything before. But in comparison to what i expected it was pretty easy. Definatley a great way to learn, because there isn't a lot of stuff that would cost a lot if you broke something. Most of it would be soldering a new wire in where you broke one or something else.