Alarm Systems Discussion related to installation, diagnostics, and purchasing of alarm systems

alarm install

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 12:20 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
alarm install

just how hard is it im pretty good and wiring stuff been thinking of getting on for awhile i do not live in a high crime area just would be nice to have dont need to disable the starter or anything like that plan on haveing 2 sirens one on the outside and one on the inside all i need is for it do is basic stuff
Old 04-25-2007, 12:56 AM
Contributing Member

heres what i think i want to get
alarm
alarm 2
which one would you get anything else i should add ?

Last edited by Elton; 04-25-2007 at 02:26 AM.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:38 PM
Contributing Member

bump.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You could add proximity censors, and how does this setup compare to Viper?
Old 04-25-2007, 03:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's very straight forward to do if you have the _right_ wiring diagrams. it's next to impossible to do without ANY diagrams unless you have patience and a good sense of deduction techniques.

Don't forget about Commando... nice product, nicely featured, nicely priced:
http://www.commandocaralarms.com/
Old 04-25-2007, 05:00 PM
Contributing Member

well i guess its a little harder than i thought o well guess i dont need one
Old 04-26-2007, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by Elton
well i guess its a little harder than i thought o well guess i dont need one
??? It's not hard dood, it'll take a while though - my first one was about 5 hours.

If you're concerned about wiring diagrams, 12volt.com has a nice set online as does Commando.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:35 AM
Contributing Member

Go to http://the12volt.com and get the alarm diagram for your vehicle. If you can't find it PM me and I will email it to you, I have it on my desktop for a 3rd generation. It will tell you the colors and locations of the wires.

It is not hard, but the main thing is to make sure you do a neat job, and protect any wires you add. Be sure and hide the alarm box or put in a place that is difficult to get to so it can't be easily ripped out. I try to make the wires weave in with the main loom so they look like they came on the vehicle. You want to be sure that you don't leave any wires rubbing on bare sharp metal where they could short out or get caught on someones foot. Also stay away from the airbag harness and sensors..they are clearly marked. Make sure you have a multimeter and disconnect the negative battery cable before starting.

I have always used Carbine alarms and have had great luck with them. They are simple, affordable, and effective when installed correctly (as much as an alarm can be). A battery back-up would be nice if you really want it for security from car theft, but if they really want it and have the time, no alarm will help...get Lojack.

If you have any questions PM me, I install custom alarms all the time for my friends.

Last edited by nieuwendyk-25; 04-26-2007 at 06:21 PM.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:33 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the same question except i do need it for protection.

I want a 2way and the remote starter would be nice so i could let it warm up before i take off as i am always in a hurry in the morning. I have been planing to have it installed but i might give it a try if it is not that hard. I don't mind the time so much as the getting it right. I am going to have to rip out most of the dash and paneling for the stero and offraod light anyways...

So would an alarm with 2 way and remote stater be more trouble than it is worth to install myself? Also either way what is the best brand?

Last edited by Texas_Ace; 04-30-2007 at 09:34 AM.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:52 AM
Contributing Member

I am not as familiar with the remote starter ones as the others. Clifford has historically been good, but expensive...Alpines are nice, but hard to get since they want you to have it installed by an authorized dealer. Like I said above, I like the Carbines...simple to install and effective, but I am not sure if they have a paging system with a remote start or not. It will be a lot more involved with the starter, and you want to know it is done right. Depending on your wiring experience and not being afraid to take things apart, you should be fine.

Good Luck!

Last edited by nieuwendyk-25; 04-30-2007 at 09:54 AM.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:13 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks, i think i will get a few quotes with installtion and then just see what the pocket book says...

As you say the 2 way and remote will be more involed than i might want to get...
Old 04-30-2007, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Texas_Ace
As you say the 2 way and remote will be more involed than i might want to get...
It's like three more wires. Look at the Commando link above (or, below) and pull the install manual for the FM-870:

http://www.commandocaralarms.com/ite...ProductID=1410

There's a link on the left side of the page.

I've had mine for a few years now - no problems whatsoever. Took about 5 hours to install the first time, and about 3 the next time I did it for a buddy.
The following users liked this post:
offroadie (06-21-2021)
Old 04-30-2007, 11:08 AM
Contributing Member

Thnaks for the link and info. Looks pretty stright foward, i might give it a try.

Only thing i saw was that i have the 2000 limited which has the transponder in the key. And as it states that can makes things complicated. Anyone have any experiance with that?
Old 04-30-2007, 11:12 AM
Contributing Member

What I meant is not that the wiring was always more complex, but that it is wires you don't want to get wrong. Depending on your knowledge of wiring and the specific vehicle, it might be easier to melt something (like the alarm, a computer, or a fusable link). This will be a little more difficult than a basic alarm installation. The two way remote does not affect the installation.

Also depending on the Alarm you by, you may have to install Relays for the remote start. You used to have to do this for door locks, but most have them built in now. While it is not hard to learn, it does make it more difficult and time consuming.

And make sure your wiring is neat and clean, with wires protected from damage areas.

Last edited by nieuwendyk-25; 04-30-2007 at 11:21 AM.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:51 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I had my viper two way "professionally" installed I deff. think I paid too much, but that's ok. I know it's done right. I didn't get the remote start because I am not comfortable leaving the truck in neutral. My driveway is steeply sloped.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:55 PM
CJM

YMMV, but generally those remote starters and aftermarket alarms play havoc on your battery and electrical systems. Mainly when the battery starts going the alarm gives ya trouble or vice versa.

Good installs are fine, but about 80% go to bestbuy and stuff..
Old 05-12-2007, 10:29 AM
Contributing Member

Well for me it is a matter of $$. Either i install it or i don't get one... LOL
Old 05-12-2007, 11:16 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CJM
YMMV, but generally those remote starters and aftermarket alarms play havoc on your battery and electrical systems. Mainly when the battery starts going the alarm gives ya trouble or vice versa.

Good installs are fine, but about 80% go to bestbuy and stuff..
I wasn't going to Best Buy, no matter what. I went to one of the more popular car audio shops.

Well for me it is a matter of $$. Either i install it or i don't get one... LOL
I needed an alarm, no matter what. My Camry has been broken into 4 times over the past 3 years. They only got the doors open, but it still sucks. The truck had no anti-theft at all.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:29 AM

Ravelco

Had my 2002 4Runner barely 8 wks till it was broken into a couple of nights ago. The cowards got some fishing gear & binocs, but left a buncha other stuff. Screwed with my ignition though; they wanted the TRUCK, not the stuff.

Filed police report but need to protect my investment better. They suggest a "club" solution. I was thinking of a decent alarm when I came across this "RAVELCO ANTI THEFT DEVICE" immobilizer system. Seems like it could work well but is $400 plus installation.

Anybody know about these (or other) systems that are worth the time & $$?
Old 06-13-2007, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by kbrizing
Had my 2002 4Runner barely 8 wks till it was broken into a couple of nights ago. The cowards got some fishing gear & binocs, but left a buncha other stuff. Screwed with my ignition though; they wanted the TRUCK, not the stuff.

Filed police report but need to protect my investment better. They suggest a "club" solution. I was thinking of a decent alarm when I came across this "RAVELCO ANTI THEFT DEVICE" immobilizer system. Seems like it could work well but is $400 plus installation.

Anybody know about these (or other) systems that are worth the time & $$?
So... this thing?

http://www.ravelco.com/

$400 huh? wow.

First off, there is no such thing as an "Anti Theft Device", there are only "Theft Deterrents". If someone wants your vehicle, they'll get it. Period.

Now, looking at this Ravelco thing, the first thing that came to mind is "oh, they just used a multi-pin Amp connector and wired up a nest!". Translated, that means that they grabbed a connector from someplace like Mouser or Digi-Key:

ref:

Then pulled a couple of key wires from the main loom (ignition, acc, starter, etc) and wired it up to the plug in such a way that it's a "shot in the dark" to try to hot wire it. Net cost is about $20 for the connector and it's mate.

Good concept I guess, but I'll only slow someone down, and they won't know that they have something bizarre like that to defeat until _after_ they've broken in your window and torn up the steering column.

Quick Reply: alarm install