General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic
View Poll Results: What is your final goal for your rig?
Daily driver, not many mods
7.99%
Some serous rock crawling while still driving the rig daily
14.38%
Safari/Expedition type of rig to explore back roads, trails, not so many rocks, and a daily driver
61.66%
Setting it up to be a Pre-Runner, and daily driver
4.15%
Other, please elaborate
11.82%
Voters: 313. You may not vote on this poll

What is your final goal with your Toyota?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Daily driver, fast and good handling, has to be light and jumpable offroad on tracks, and sturdy enough to crawl over rocks and difficult terrain on trails, as well as bog through the nasty stuff, all while getting OK gas mileage
Old 06-13-2007, 12:37 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Houston (home), Atlanta (school), Cincinnati (work)
i was all ready (once i had money) to SAS and keep building it up, but then i realized that i should just start saving up money now to i can either buy an old toyota to go crazy with and not worry about body damage, or buy a regular car as a DD and go crazy with my truck as planned.

i also like to think i'd be doing crawling and whatnot, but lets face it, here in GA all we had is mud and clay
Old 06-13-2007, 12:46 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I want to run EVERY trail and then drive it home and around town, don't give a hoot how it drives on I-5. I'd like it to look as stock as possible, but be far more capable, dependable, rugged.
Old 06-13-2007, 01:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am building mine to be a full blown desert race truck. 2wd, 20 inches of travel, 4 link rear, full fiberglass, no windshield, 35 inch tires.

My other truck is just a daily driver, I'll throw a lift kit on it sooner or later.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:27 PM
Contributing Member

I am in the same boat as deathrunner, Mild crawling, some speed, camping duties.
In addition: All weather prowess. and a comfy DD.

And of utmost importance: Reliability in all situations

How am I going to get the best of all worlds? Easy, I'm going to make very few mods.

1. Downey suspension.
2. Rear E-locker (maybe ARB)
3. Chaos Idler arm
4. Armor (t-case at a minimum)
5. On board Air

However I am assembling an inventory of parts for some sort of project down the road that could be usable in a number of applications
Old 06-13-2007, 06:32 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Swiss Army truck.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:34 PM

Sell it.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:10 PM

I just want a sturdy, dependable truck to haul my Banshee and to explore the unknown.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:13 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Basically:

Lift it high enough to clear 33's, 35's if I want to. Generally speaking you dont see that many T100's around, they are rare and worth a bit of money. Sadly mine isnt so much anymore since its scratched up, dirty (I havent washed it in a month and I bet the dirt is stuck there now) and I cut a hole inthe fender for the snorkel.

My main goal is to be able to drive most offroad trails with the IFS still intact.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:09 PM

I'm kind of going for a "ready for anything" type deal.. If I want to go through some mud, I can, if I want to go down some rough roads or make my own way through some thick stuff, I can, etc. and still have it as my daily.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:21 PM
Contributing Member

Reliable DD. Looking to upgrade eventually to a 3rd gen 4runner with a 3.4, stick and E-locker. Eventually, my dream truck would be a double cab Trundra with a stick (not sure if they make them with sticks though).

Troy
Old 06-13-2007, 08:22 PM

y'all got some cool rigs in mind.

granted, I'll probably sell it as soon as i'm done paying it off, but I've got a vision of a UAV (urban assault vehicle). a vehicle for driving in Houston traffic with the ability to handle any situation i might encounter. also it would be a work truck equipped with a toolbox.

for traffic situations I'll need a push bar, bigger brakes, 355/55-20 run flats, PA system, strobes, and a day glow orange windshield sticker that says "slower traffic keep right" in reverse, and a rear window sticker that says "get off your cell phone and drive!" (maybe install a couple of ION painball guns under the bumper)

performance wise I was thinking a GM LS2 with 11:1 compression and enough cam to give it a wicked idle, a 5 (or 6) speed, bigger breaks, and a stiffer, lower suspension with insanely massive sway bars.

inside I could use a CB, a speakerbox that would fit around a 36" toolbox for 2 10's, and a couple of movable 6x9 boxes. 5% tint, and a custom flat floor to replace the back seats (while keeping front seat adjustment room) would help too.

a roof rack would help, too
Old 06-13-2007, 08:53 PM

lol.. Ion.

Tippmann is the way to be!
Old 06-13-2007, 09:15 PM
Contributing Member

While tippy is driving daily... SHE is not meant to be. She hates the fact that I drive her 40+ miles per day right now and is not affraid to tell me. She needs to be a trail rig again.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:29 PM

Expedition Vehicle and Moderate Rated Trail Runner

Plans for my 1995 T-100 are:

I am currently putting a dual battery set up in it (not the Painless one, but a better one that works automatically). I have Aisan (stock) hubs on the way and will put in 1.5" ball joint spacers and possibly crank the torsion bars .5 to 1" once I install those. I plan on putting a rear 1" block and 1.5" extended rear shackles in temporarily to match the front lift. Once I get a feel for it I will be getting some lift springs from Downey Off-Road. I would like to put at least 33" tires on it with minimal lift. It is my understanding that I could have fit those without lift but I want some extra room for flex/wider stance. I currently have 31x11.50 MT's that came with it. I might go with a 1 to 1.5 inch body lift once I get the lift put on.

I have a Coleman Thermoelectric 12 volt fridge that I wired up an outlet for in the rear of my bed. The previous owner had a fiberglass shell that I received with the truck. I was given a 1750 watt power inverter that I plan on wiring into the bed this past weekend (it needs a few new fuses soldered in).

I plan on adding a rear locker (Aussie-if they come out with one soon enough). I also have some square tube steel laying around that I plan on building some rock rails out of. I have thought about making a front bumper with a receiver hitch for adding a removable winch cradel eventually.

My biggest worry is how to take care of the "tail drag" problem without bob-ing the rear end. I would like to keep the bed intact as I sometimes haul an ATV or motorcycle when I go on camping trips. I also like to have the bed for hauling equipment and other toys, or just for putting the shell back on to camp in the back. Basically building it to do 3-4 rated intermediate trails.

Kevin
Old 06-14-2007, 03:47 PM

I want my truck to be able to go exploring in B.C. in relative comfort without being concerned about breaking anything. I am okay with knowing that I can't go up every trail, but I want to be able to do most. A Tundra/LC lift to give me some altitude, some sliders and skids as insurance, bumpers to improve the approach/departure angles, and maybe a locker down the road. I want to be able to load up the kids (down the road, none yet) and show them the beautiful wilderness that is all around us, that most people never see. I guess that qualifies as a Safari/DD.
Old 06-15-2007, 04:03 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My goal is to have a good camping/trail rig, but to still have it be a very nice daily driver for the family, with decent gas mileage. Looks are also very important to me. I don't want it to look like your everyday soccer mom SUV. I want it to look very "offroady" to the average person. I want it to stand out from the crowd, and get noticed. When people see it, I want them to say "Wow! Nice truck. Do you go offroading a lot?"

33" mud tires, 2.5" OME lift, and TJM T-15 bumper should complete this look.
Old 06-15-2007, 05:49 AM
Contributing Member

Another thought:

Is there EVER a really "final" goal for our rigs?

Old 06-15-2007, 07:15 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
For the '05 Keep it basically as is: DD duties 285's, mild lift, but replace the AAL in the back with some OME Dakar's for a little better flex and use it to tow the trekker.
Trekker: Build it to be reliable off road: flexier suspension, it has got 33's but may get bumped up to 35's and 5.29's, winch, sliders, good F/R bumpers-which I hope to be able to weld myself.. '86+ rear axle, dual cases would be cool but probably just put some lower gears in the transfer case. Full cage is in the works..Use it off road but try not to destroy too much of the original integrity of the trekker.
Would love to do it all at once like some folks seem to manage, but it should be pretty close to being a great off road truck in a couple of years...
Old 06-19-2007, 04:51 PM

I would like my '84 to be useful almost anywhere but the real hard core trails. It will remain carborated with the Rochester 2bbl that I installed on the stock intake. I have the flat bed and rear bumper almost done.
To do list:
33's w/4.88's and e lockers
63" Chevy's w/rears up front
Home made hysteer (I have an idea that would use the stock push/pull box)
3" body lift/2" drive train lift
Sliders w/fender gaurds to front bumper w/winch
It is my DD

Last edited by x factor; 06-19-2007 at 04:55 PM.

Quick Reply: What is your final goal with your Toyota?