General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

What would you buy for a beater car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 07:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Alrighty, so cars to look for are:
-VW Jetta or Golf (possibly diesel)
-Toyota Carolla
-Honda Civic (Coupe/Hatchback)
-Honda Accord
-Geo Metro (I don't really think I would be able to fit in one)
-Mazda MX-6 (or possibly another type)

Since you guys are the best with the deals, where would be a good place to look? Would craigslist be the best place to look? Where else? (No ebay if possible)
Old 03-07-2008, 02:54 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by infiltrator
Since you guys are the best with the deals, where would be a good place to look? Would craigslist be the best place to look? Where else? (No ebay if possible)
Look in the newspaper, under "mechanics special" if you want a fixer upper, or check out the tow yards because sometimes they have great little cars with nothing really wrong with them, but they were parked somewhere for too long, etc. Craigslist is probably the most convenient, but the people on there are difficult to deal with, and the search feature yields WAY too much garbage, since every one puts completely irrelevent keywords in their posts.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:07 PM

Yeah x2 on that stormin. I really think that I am taking a fancy to these Mazda's. Never had one, and never knew anyone that does. I do see a ton of them on Craigslist that have some good mileage. I think a little 5 spd 2 seater would be the perfect car to commute with.

I know that I should watch out for weird noises, or bad fluids like choco milk, but is there anything else I should look for? For $3k can I be picky about brakes or a clutch? I really think I will find one of these to my liking.

This will probably happen in the summer time, but what better to look and get a good deal when I see one.
Too bad I dont have a good credit card...
Old 03-07-2008, 03:31 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah x2 on that stormin. I really think that I am taking a fancy to these Mazda's. Never had one, and never knew anyone that does. I do see a ton of them on Craigslist that have some good mileage. I think a little 5 spd 2 seater would be the perfect car to commute with.

I know that I should watch out for weird noises, or bad fluids like choco milk, but is there anything else I should look for? For $3k can I be picky about brakes or a clutch? I really think I will find one of these to my liking.

This will probably happen in the summer time, but what better to look and get a good deal when I see one.
Too bad I dont have a good credit card...
It has a back seat, but it's small. I haven't noticed any problems, and it is similar to my Toyota in the sense that I only have to change the oil, and put gas in it. One issue at the beginning was some vacuum regulator device(i'm not sure of it's name) that went out. This caused a rough idle, and tripped the check engine light at freeway speeds. The replacement was $6 at pick-n-pull, and it was literally a "less than five minute" job to replace it. Make sure you examine it before you buy it, because I don't want to hear from you again if you buy one, and say it's a total POS because the previous owner beat the piss out of it. As with any used car, check it out thoroughly before you make an offer. Another small issue is the head light plastic. It has a modular headlight design(meaning, you replace the bulb, not the entire thing) and the plastic housing lense starts to fade, and yellow sometimes, esp in the California sunshine. A simple high speed buff with a polishing compound fixes this, and makes your lights much brighter at night. These cars can be had for between $1200-$2400 in good condition. They are not junk, they just don't hold their value, so they are ideal for a commuter car that you can drive the wheels off of. If you have any questions about the Mazda, or most any other smaller cars, I'll try to help you. BTW, the Mazda is my dad's car, but I do drive it frequently, because of it's MPG, and very low operating costs(compared to my 4Runner). Insurance, and registration are also dirt cheap.
Old 03-07-2008, 06:24 PM
4rx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was thinking about a Civic (probably 2 door, with the 1.6L V-Tech engine)
I stopped reading right there. HOLY CRAP

V-tech is a phone. That thing goes 5.8ghz. not 7000rpm.

The correct word is VTEC.

got it?
just playing with ya.
Old 03-07-2008, 06:27 PM
4rx

i drive the honda CRX as a beater car. if you need something cheap and reliable car, you cant go wrong with the honda car. look into 88-91 honda civic or honda crx 88-91.

Last edited by 4rx; 03-07-2008 at 06:29 PM.
Old 03-07-2008, 06:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would try and find an old vw golf diesel, like a 2nd gen one older 80's.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would buy a motorcycle...much cooler. Get better gas mileage. And when it is icy or whatever drive your runner!
Old 03-07-2008, 08:12 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 91Toyota
I would buy a motorcycle...much cooler. Get better gas mileage. And when it is icy or whatever drive your runner!
Icy in SoCal???
Old 03-07-2008, 08:36 PM

Haha, yeah I like motorcycles and can drive one without a problem, but my dad tells me horror stories on the California freeways when he had 2 bikes when I was a kid. Thats why I think I would want a car. Also because it gets over 100 degrees out here in the summer. Definately want some kind of A/C.

I have found a ton of mazda's on Craigslist. I have one problem. I am about 6'1'' but maybe pushing 6'2'' will I have problems fitting in a Miata. Sorry about the V-tec. You are right, and good thing you corrected me .

I can't wait. It's bad to start looking now, because I found one with records and everything. And, one that was owned by a mechanic in great shape. I need to start saving...
Old 03-07-2008, 08:39 PM
Contributing Member

Haha, yeah I like motorcycles and can drive one without a problem, but my dad tells me horror stories on the California freeways when he had 2 bikes when I was a kid. Thats why I think I would want a car. Also because it gets over 100 degrees out here in the summer. Definately want some kind of A/C.

I have found a ton of mazda's on Craigslist. I have one problem. I am about 6'1'' but maybe pushing 6'2'' will I have problems fitting in a Miata. Sorry about the V-tec. You are right, and good thing you corrected me .

I can't wait. It's bad to start looking now, because I found one with records and everything. And, one that was owned by a mechanic in great shape. I need to start saving...
MX-5 is like a Miata, MX-6 is an econo car. My dad is 6'3" and he fits in it no problem.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:49 PM

a 95 honda civic or a newer toyota mr2
Old 03-08-2008, 07:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by stormin94
MX-5 is like a Miata, MX-6 is an econo car. My dad is 6'3" and he fits in it no problem.
I agree mx-5 would be a nice beater car, light nimble. Not the fastest thing in the world, but it handles great. If all you need to do is get from pt 1 to pt 2 then i would see this as a great possibility, and its a convertible.
Old 03-08-2008, 07:56 AM
Contributing Member

1970-1983 Toyota Pick-up/Hilux petrol or diesel
early 80's Camry diesel
Cressida
Corolla (any year from 63+)
Old 03-08-2008, 11:05 AM

VW Rabbits are good, Easy and cheap to work on too. The GTI's and Cabriolets are way nicer inside than a civic, quicker, lighter, handle better and just as reliable. Im 6'1" and fit just fine.. only thing I dont like is the lack of a tilt steering wheel but its comfy.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:40 PM

For ANY volkswagen air or water cooled..... Thesamba.com check out the trade section too, lots of cool stuff pops up, even some narly 4x4 yotas

as for a cheap beater car, easy to work on cheap cheap cheap parts and usually reliable with over 30mpg, late 60s earlie 70s NO f.i vw bug...... cant beat that.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:22 PM

Geo Metro, can't beat them for gas mileage and the later metros are pretty comfortable. My GF has a '91 3 cyl/AT and even that one can get out of it's own way. They don't have much engine, but they are also light as hell. Her dad is about 6'3 and fits his comfortably.

Last edited by TrikeKid; 03-10-2008 at 03:24 PM.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:48 PM

nissan sentra pretty economical and peppy. easy to work on but I don't like where they located the oil filter.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:12 PM

Wow, I never thought that I would get so many replies out of my thread haha. I searched before and found nothing, so this is the first I belive.

I am really digging the mazda's and found that there is a "seat mod" for taller people (found this on a miata forum haha).

But, I do not want to limit myself. If I get a good deal, then I get a good deal. I will keep my choices open.
As far as the Nissan Sentra, my friend has one and it has been nothing but problems.
I have also taken a fancy to the Honda Del Sol (2 seater) but heard that thing is too fast and I will die haha.

P.S. X2 on craigslist, I just sold an old computer and some books and made a couple hundred bucks for my car fund! I have saved $400 so far. I hope to make $3,000 to buy my beater car.

Another question for anyone who can answer. Since my 4runner will turn into a project/ road trip truck, should I get liability only on it? I have heard there is a special insurance for cars/trucks that drive less than <10,000 miles a year. What insurance do you guys like?
I can't believe I will own 2 cars...
Old 03-10-2008, 06:04 PM

I go through state farm and have low milage insurance on my trucks. It is less than 7,500 / year for me. Costs about $25 a month for the extra vehicle.

Quick Reply: What would you buy for a beater car?