General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Are U satisfied with your aux. lighting??

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 09:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aaAAHHHHRRGGGGG ,more lightforce info :HELP:
Old 08-12-2004, 05:46 AM
Contributing Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by lee
damn, those are huge, aow... ever gotten pulled over? those seem to be too big/bright to be legal!
Lee,
They've never been an issue. I only use them on dark, back roads or on long stretches of highway with no opposing traffic within a mile or so. Sometimes I'll leave them on even with opposing traffic if there's a substantial highway divider. These things pack some serious output. On a pitch black night, you could stop the truck, turn the lamps on, hike a mile down the road, take out a book, and start reading. Never had reason to do that though...

I've also had them mounted for more than two years now without a single rock chip or crack. I've left the large Hella white covers off since new as I felt they would draw more attention to the lights and end up stolen. Love 'em.

Andreas
Old 08-12-2004, 08:07 AM

It's not so much the light itself, it's how/when you use them. Check with your local laws, but from my experiences, in most places, it's illegal to use any aux lighting over 65w. Anything over 50 needs to be used light high beams. And most states have limits as to how hight the lights can be mounted.

My 4000s are 100w each, and I've got 330w worth of light on my roof rack. I use them very responsibly, but I do use them. I've never had a problem.
Old 08-13-2004, 11:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bulletproof
just wanted to see what people are running on roof racks, tjm,grill gaurds ETC.
i am considering 4 hella 500s up top on the rack and a pair of lightforce 240s on the front bumper .
anybody have anything bad to say about the lightforce , i havent heard or found anything negative yet on lightforce , BUT FILL ME IN ON WHAT U THINK AND WHAT YOUR USEING
I love my Lightforce 170's:

The adjustable beam is an awesome feature.
Old 08-16-2004, 03:19 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bulletproof
aaAAHHHHRRGGGGG ,more lightforce info :HELP:
Did you get to see the Lightforce video? (right click and "save target as")

Pretty cool.
Old 08-17-2004, 06:04 AM
Contributing Member

I just installed a pair of Hella 1000FF's with upgraded 100W bulbs. Easy to install and SOOO bright...
Old 08-17-2004, 06:15 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got some IPF fogs in the bumper and some IPF 900 driving lights on top of it. The fogs are standard 55w H3 bulbs, but the 900's are 130W each. Nice and bright - and hooked up to my bright light circuit so they come on when I hit the high beams (switched conn of course). About $250/pair w/ wiring harness and relay. Click the pic for a HUGE image.

Last edited by bamachem; 08-17-2004 at 06:17 AM.
Old 08-17-2004, 06:40 AM
lee
Contributing Member

anyone know if they make 55w h3 bulbs that are white and not yellowish?
Old 08-17-2004, 06:45 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
slyvania makes a "silverstar" version in a H3 now. However, if you want to use them in foggy conditions, a yellow light will penetrate better than a white or blue one.
Old 08-17-2004, 06:54 AM

How do the Lightforce lights work in the snow and fog compared to just regular fog lights? I like these lights and contemplating between the 170's and a set of piaa 525's, anybody have any input?
Old 08-17-2004, 06:55 AM
lee
Contributing Member

fog isnt really a problem in boston
Old 08-17-2004, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by steelhead
How do the Lightforce lights work in the snow and fog compared to just regular fog lights? I like these lights and contemplating between the 170's and a set of piaa 525's, anybody have any input?
I've had a chance to use mine in the rain and fog - no real snow at my normal elevation.

A pair of 170's are kicking out 1,000,000 candlepower which is a boatload more than a standard set of fog lights. I have mine adjusted for a pretty wide flood pattern, and the difference is incredible. In decent fog, I can easily light up a swath of road that's 50' wide and 40' out. And "light up" means "lookin' like daytime" (though with a yellow tint).

In simple darkness, the effect is much more dramatic. Coming down a trail in the middle of the night isn't an issue. I can get light everywhere.
Old 08-17-2004, 08:42 AM

OK But are they too powerful for fog? Like turning on your high beams? I'm not trying to hijack this thread just get info on the lights.
Old 08-17-2004, 08:51 AM

i'm running the Hella 500's as well...

fogs on the outer and driving (pencil beam) in between. Hellas are very affordable and work great. I mounted the toggle switches just forward of my gear selector looks really clean.
Old 08-17-2004, 09:24 AM

OK But are they too powerful for fog? Like turning on your high beams? I'm not trying to hijack this thread just get info on the lights.
Nope, and it's because of the yellow light. Your highbeams are bad news 'cause the white light reflects off of the fog and creates all that glare. Running a yellow filter with the 170's makes them into fog lights (maybe I should have made that clear before) and the yellow light doesn't create glare.

Lightforce also offers Clear, blue, red, and green lenses for the 170s. Each have their purpose - it's not just for bling.
Old 08-17-2004, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by midiwall
Nope, and it's because of the yellow light. Your highbeams are bad news 'cause the white light reflects off of the fog and creates all that glare. Running a yellow filter with the 170's makes them into fog lights (maybe I should have made that clear before) and the yellow light doesn't create glare.

Lightforce also offers Clear, blue, red, and green lenses for the 170s. Each have their purpose - it's not just for bling.
IIRC you can also buy bulbs that are colored amber although not as effective as the lense film it does the job
Old 08-18-2004, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by lee
damn, those are huge, aow... ever gotten pulled over? those seem to be too big/bright to be legal!
Just a note to remember. Anything over 55w in an auxilary light is is considered an "offroad" light, are illegal for use on the road, and have to be have an opaque cover at all times when not offroad.

In my opinion I have yet to see a 55w bulb that at the same time a) makes much of a difference, and b) is worth the cost. I run overwatt 100w highbeams as well as 2 130 6" H3 lights on the road all the time and the only reason that I don't have more is because the stock 60A alternator can't hack it and still have anything left to run stuff like the sterio.

For anyone looking for better lighting that is not glaringly obvious I highly reccomend the Bosch H3 converson for the older sealed bulbs. I run 80w/100w and have never had a problem with cops even running the 80w low beams everyday around town. The Beam pattern is excellent and projects a low flat low bean that is aimed properly won't hit the rear window/rearview mirror of even the shortest cars, while the highbeam pattern is great. Both wide ditch to ditch and far penetrating. I have driven through numerous police checkpoints without even a second look. You just have to be extra careful that you remember to dim your lights to not highbeam oncoming traffic.

Last edited by Poor A$$ Stock '93; 08-18-2004 at 05:48 PM.
Old 08-18-2004, 07:09 PM

its all good ........ good points that i didnt think of......does anybody think that the 240's would be overkill causing to much glare?
Old 08-19-2004, 01:28 PM

what I did was go with hella h4 replacement headlights with 55wat low x 100wat high beams work great. with set of kc day lighters 100wat wired them thru stock chevy foot dimmer switch I do a lot of baja drive it works great for dimming light with out takeing hand of steering wheel.
Old 08-19-2004, 02:17 PM

Love my Hella 4000 HID's....if you need much light - these are it......

Quick Reply: Are U satisfied with your aux. lighting??