General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

toyota diesels

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
toyota diesels

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2006..._introduc.html

I didn't know that Toyota was making diesels again, and at the least, not in their trucks. That and it uses their new D-4D common rail diesel, granted, its not for the US market. On a side note, i need one of those engines.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:34 PM

don't think they've ever stopped making diesels on their hiluxes (aka our tacoma's) or other cars/trucks for that matter. they've been running all around the world except n. america, as far as i know. saw a whole bunch in brazil, japan, philippines... (australia's got tonnes too) n. american market sucks arse! looks like chrysler/jeeps gonna beat them with their german/daimler diesels, 3 models coming out?? (i think the liberty's got diesel now). hoping toyota/nissan will follow suit. also saw a turbo diesel X-terra in brazil, standard police issue vehicle even. in europe, over 30% of cars are diesels, cuz of the high cost of fuel, or should i say "petrol". they practically have turbo diesel versions of everything. (i.e. 3, 5 series bmw's, G-wagons, audi, etc....)

one day . . . one day. . .
Old 11-21-2007, 12:41 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no they NEVER stopped makeing diesel, there must be hundreds here in Belize, if not thousands! but everyone but honda makes a diesel, at least everywhere but japan i think.they have diesel rangers, 4runners, land cruisers, land rovers, dodge nitro!, dodge compass, dodge, the ist goes on! hyndai is somewhat popular, isuzu, kia, etc etc
Old 11-21-2007, 01:22 PM
Contributing Member

actually honda has a diesel now too... makes some really impressive numbers too but is only available in UK/europe for now 2008 model I believe.

Toyota stopped selling diesels in NA in the mid 80's (85 was last year I think). The older diesels could'nt meet emissions standards but the new ones are euro spec compliant which is about as tough as Kali. so if enough of us start to demand them they may bring them in again... but don't hold your breath...
(easiest candidate for them would be the FJ FWIW)
Old 11-21-2007, 02:02 PM

one day, it'll happen, and it's gonna destroy the gas guzzling domestic V8 truck/suv market.... well maybe . . . imagine a fuel efficient (30mpg) turbo diesel tundra or sqequoia?! more biodiesel sources would be nice too! hmm, maybe honda will drop a diesel in the ridgeline too.

i was in japan last summer and never saw the new FJ there, or maybe not many around, i'd imagine they'd have that in diesel too.

Last edited by hiluxsurf; 11-21-2007 at 02:03 PM.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:13 PM

Toyota Diesel in the States will happen
Old 11-21-2007, 02:34 PM

lol, yeah that tundra dually was a concept made my an aftermarket customizer, i saw a video for it, it was made to look really factory spec. That said, yeah, now that i think about it, i did know diesel were everywhere but US, brain fart. Anyways, yeah, that little D-4D is a pretty cool little engine with some pretty nice numbers as well. That said, yeah those BLUTEC diesels from dailmer/benz are really nice, especially the ones in the Grand Cherokee, really nice numbers all around.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:52 PM

to bad diamer chrysler is no more since they split
Old 11-22-2007, 08:24 AM
Contributing Member

only pita with the blutecs and the new vdubs is you gotta find a source of urea for the exhaust injectors... too bad you cant just take a whizzz in it to fill it up lol... I know the dealer will sell the stuff but who wants to pay their prices?
Old 11-22-2007, 10:38 AM

We.ve always had diesels here in the UK ( well, as long as I can remember), and pretty much every surf ( Japenese version of the 4runner) is a diesel, except a small % of 3.0 V6's.

BMW have a very nice 3.0 straight 6 turbo diesel in there 3 series, and it's actally faster than the gas version, and gives good mpg.

All the research money is going into diesel here in europe, and has been for many years.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
diesel is more expensive than gas out here... gas is 3.09 and diesel is near 4 a gallon. .
Old 11-22-2007, 12:23 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by plumb bob
We.ve always had diesels here in the UK ( well, as long as I can remember), and pretty much every surf ( Japenese version of the 4runner) is a diesel, except a small % of 3.0 V6's.

BMW have a very nice 3.0 straight 6 turbo diesel in there 3 series, and it's actally faster than the gas version, and gives good mpg.

All the research money is going into diesel here in europe, and has been for many years.
I wish we could get that bimmer diesel here...

Originally Posted by ozziesironmanoffroad
diesel is more expensive than gas out here... gas is 3.09 and diesel is near 4 a gallon. .
Yeah but you use so much less of it...
Old 11-22-2007, 04:57 PM

I put a 3.0L Toyota TD into my 92 v6 pickup. It goes pretty good. I'm quite impressed with it so far. Goes better than the V6 did. And it is an auto. Not my preference but its been good so far. But boy are these motors ever nice. Smooth power band and they are not noisey at all. I just am dreading when something breaks on it. There are hardly any parts here for the motor. But its a risk I can take as long as I can get parts. It seems quite easy to work on. Maybe even more easy than a 22R. It starts great. I was really impressed today. -18*C and glowed it for a bit and fired in two compression strokes just as it did when it was warm out. Great motor so far. If you guys want to look more into the motors go to www.toyotadiesel.com. Good site for info on swaps.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by 82yota
I put a 3.0L Toyota TD into my 92 v6 pickup. It goes pretty good. I'm quite impressed with it so far. Goes better than the V6 did. And it is an auto. Not my preference but its been good so far. But boy are these motors ever nice. Smooth power band and they are not noisey at all. I just am dreading when something breaks on it. There are hardly any parts here for the motor. But its a risk I can take as long as I can get parts. It seems quite easy to work on. Maybe even more easy than a 22R. It starts great. I was really impressed today. -18*C and glowed it for a bit and fired in two compression strokes just as it did when it was warm out. Great motor so far. If you guys want to look more into the motors go to www.toyotadiesel.com. Good site for info on swaps.
What engine code is it?

If you need parts for, then Toyota should be able to supply anything you cant get via the net, we have suppliers here, but you may find them pricey with the current exchange rate.

Here's where we get most of our parts from;

http://www.toyotahilux.com/index.php?doc=87

Although as it's a Toyota diesel, you probably won't need much other than general service items.

How did you get round the emmission laws??
Old 11-24-2007, 10:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
that truck looks just butt ugly... who knows what i will buy when i get out of college, im not sure its gonna be a toyota . the taco's looks alright, but ahhh. too big. whose gonna need a dualy that much???
Old 11-25-2007, 06:36 PM

nice link plumb bob! prices are kinda steep tho...but wouldn't mind that a rubber mat for the trunk.

(what kind of mileage are getting out of your veggie oil 2LT?!)
Old 11-26-2007, 06:16 AM
Contributing Member

FWIW I was at the dealer on the weekend to pick-up some parts and I spoke with a saleman and he told me that Toyota is planning on bringing out a diesel for the FJ and Tundra for the 2009/10 model year. If it really happens or not who knows...
Old 11-27-2007, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by hiluxsurf
nice link plumb bob! prices are kinda steep tho...but wouldn't mind that a rubber mat for the trunk.

(what kind of mileage are getting out of your veggie oil 2LT?!)
Yes the prices will be a bit scary for you guys in the US, but a lot of the stuff is genuine Toyota, as far as milage goes, I get about the same as with diesel, average about 22 mpg, and about 30 mpg on the freeway if I stay at a steady 60 mph (100 kph)

I have found that some items are quite reasonably priced from Toyota, and according to the Oz site (http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/) any Toyota dealer, anywhere in the world, can get any part for any Toyota, as they just order it from Japan ( or the manufacturing company) and have it dlivered to there dealership.

I have got parts for my Japenese import from my local dealership with no problems, from my chassis no. they can tell me the date mine came out of the factory, and even which factory in Japan it was built in, and mine is 18 years old. Their computor/parts system is very comprehensive.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:24 AM

Mine is a 1kz-te out of a 95 surf. Balls to the walls power from this thing. I am having a real time getting parts for mine like the air filter and oil filter because the Toyota dealerships here don't want to have anything to do with you because they have their heads shoved up their asses. But I can get any part for the motor from a place in BC in about 14 days. I am going to be ordering an air filter from there shortly. I would put the V6 airbox in it but I figure if I'm only changing it every few years it should be fine to just order it. Not a big deal. I'm getting 24-26 mpg city highay mix when its warm out. Not now as I gotta warm the thing up for a while. And on the highway I have gotten 30 mpg so far but I still do not have the proper revs at 60 mph. It is sitting on about 2400-2450 or so. I would like it to be around 2200. And I'm sure when I get a nice new air filter it will help it some. I have looked on that UK site a few times and there is some very nice stuff on there. The exchange rate is not what I'm concerend about. Its the shipping. If I buy direct from Japan for say something like my valve cover gasket which I bought from Japan it cost me $15 for the part and $12 for shipping. Not too shabby. The Toyota dealers can order me in parts here its just that they don't want to because I'm not important. Gotta go to big dealers for that. And mine has almost 300000kms on it and runs like a top. No smoke at all even on a cold start. Today will be another good test for the unplugged cold start. Its -21*C right now. Hopefully the beast will fire up with no problems. Plumb bob do you know what parts generally go on these motors? I would like to stock up on a few things just in case. Thanks.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by aviator
he told me that Toyota is planning on bringing out a diesel for the FJ and Tundra for the 2009/10 model year.

They have been saying "its coming in 2 years" for the past 10 years.