General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Tire issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 08:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire issue

This weekend, while out hunting, I scuffed one of my tires just enough to cause a leak. The scuff is so minute its almost a joke. Nevertheless, it is leaking and I am having to air up twice a day. It looses about 12 pounds per about 10 hours, roughly speaking.

I had half a bottle of the fix a flat stuff and I added it. It didn't seem to stop the leak all at once but it did seem like it slightly help it.

Here's the problem. I have 30K on these tires, which are the BFGs All-Terrains. I know that if I take it to Discount Tire, they're going to replace the tire with a new once since the scuff is on the sidewall and there is no way to repair sidewall damage.

The thing that is going to kill me is to have three used tires and one brand new one. Even though the tires are in overall good condition with good life left, they have a lot of off-roading marks all over them. I hate to have one new one and three ugly ones.

Is there anything I can do to fix the leaky tire besides taking to Discount and getting a new one?

I either want to have four new ones or four used ones, if that makes any sense.

Nothing of life and death but enough to bother me. And I am not picky.

Thoughts??
Old 02-28-2006, 11:52 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's been my experience that Discount Tire will warranty just about anything... If you could suffer some damage to one of the other tires, you would be in a good sequence to replace 2 at a time..
Old 02-28-2006, 02:20 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by KING
Is there anything I can do to fix the leaky tire besides taking to Discount and getting a new one?

I either want to have four new ones or four used ones, if that makes any sense.

Nothing of life and death but enough to bother me. And I am not picky.

Thoughts??
Replace two of them with used tires if money is tight, new if you have the cash. Unfortunately you have two things going against you. 1.) A damaged sidewall constitutes a tire replacement. 2.) Adding Fix-A-Flat ruins the tire by coating it with crap on the inside (just ask Discount).

So, my vote is 4 new tires if you can swing it. I don't like screwing around with used tires personally.

Last edited by rimpainter.com; 02-28-2006 at 05:10 PM.
Old 02-28-2006, 02:23 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by KING
...The thing that is going to kill me is to have three used tires and one brand new one. Even though the tires are in overall good condition with good life left, they have a lot of off-roading marks all over them. I hate to have one new one and three ugly ones.

Get a new tire and go wheel the daylights out of it... it will look like the others in no time!

Seriously, don't go with used tires. I have never had good luck with used tires. I would rather pay the extra and have the piece of mind knowing what the tires have been through. Just my 2c.
Old 02-28-2006, 04:04 PM

I purchased the tires that are on my truck now new from Discount 30K miles ago.

With the warranty I had purchased for the tires, I got this replacement for free. Not so free when they make you purchase another certificate for the free replacement.

I wasn't planning to buy a used tire - never. All I was hoping is if I could get by with the leaky without having to replace it with a new one. What I didn't want was to get have one brand new one.

Now I have three tires with 30K miles on them, and one with 0.

When they have 60K on them, the new one now will have 30K then and still not ready to be replaced.

Feel me?

Too late now, anyways. New tire is on.
Old 02-28-2006, 05:11 PM
Contributing Member

Well, you could always rotate the newer tire to the spare when the time comes to get new ones again...